+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Best Mage DPS with the launch of 4.1

Rift Disciple

Default Best Mage DPS with the launch of 4.1

Has there been any consensus on what mage build(s) will be viable for the upcoming 4.1 release? Is the elementalist still the most viable build or has some of the others surfaced as being the better DPS build ?

Curious as to what other players are thinking.

I am afraid we won't know until 4.1 is live.

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Austinex View Post
    Has there been any consensus on what mage build(s) will be viable for the upcoming 4.1 release? Is the elementalist still the most viable build or has some of the others surfaced as being the better DPS build ?

Curious as to what other players are thinking.

As with most things Trion does.

If you suck Trion will buff you. You are then overpowered. People then cry. Trion then nerfs you making you even worse than before they first buffed you.

Elem looks to be like that. Legendries that are worse than the normal versions. "cough, couch, EB." You almost need to triple to have it do the same damage as a normal one. That's about a silly as it gets if you ask me.

So play now what sucks. Trion will buff you. Just don't enjoy it to much. Because you'll get nerfed back into nothingness soon enough.

Champion of Telara

That's what the PTS is for so yeah we pretty much do know. Harb is getting a nerf though sooo of course this will change in a week

#1 61 Harb 9 Chloro 6 Arb
    #2 Some form of Elementalist (I don't play Ele)
    #3 61 Warlock 11 Harb 4 Arb
    Last edited by Archyface; 02-25-2017 at 06:32 PM. Reason: Slightly wrong class breakdowns. thanks Snap
    Archy Mage, Face, Prime, Primal Rouge, Rogue, Eric, W, @ Laethys --- Nefarious ---

Plane Touched

Harb is great dps on PTS. Using blade mark is a ton of free dps as well. This isn't factored into balancing in my opinion so it will always look great or better when you have blade mark on extra target since it does highly competitive dps with other ST souls alone without blademark.

I will put it this way - Don't expect to have an easy time dpsing, you will have to work hard to try and get to the top of the charts, because the nerfs are slightly much on a lot of the key bread and butter abilities. And some of the TOP TIER, TOP OF THE TREE legendaries are questionable at this point... a lot of them are hardly worth picking up compared to their normal versions.

Elementalist : Ele/Pyro Firestorm is shell of what it used to be, legendary Firestorm is very very weak at this point. It is still a viable build / playstyle but don't expect it to shine on ST fights vs a full Ele with Prismatic Volley. They have completely butchered the DMG and proc rates, especially on Legendary Ele Forces and Crystalline Missiles ( Missiles are quite abit weaker, especially with the dual target chain ) ==> This means Any form or combination of elementalist will have very poor sustain throughout the fight.

But the bad things on Elementalist aside, I still think the non Firestorm builds have probably the best burst in the game, but that doesn't mean much because their sustain is very poor because of Cryst. Missiles + Ele forces big time nerfs. I strongly recommend playing around with the Ele builds, I wont share mine just yet ; )

Warlock : I don't really have much to say about it that hasn't been said already, I'm not happy with how far they took the nerfs on it, I doubt it will be played in any competitive environment by skilled players. There will be better options for raids using Harb** or Ele builds.

Harb : Feels really good on PTS, almost too good : / So far very promising but who knows how much they will change in the next couple weeks.

Frostkeeper : well.... feelsbad.... their bread and butter spell - Earthen Renewal has had its build up timer doubled and its heal amount reduced, expect it to be an awkward kind of healer because of it. Not sure what the devs are thinking but taking EA legendary is questionable at this point which is sad. Its not as reliable as it was and now we have to fall back on normal version or Rime ( lets be honest... who uses rime........) even with a slight buff Rime is still not worth using imo other than Legendary passive version. Some shot in the dark nerf balancing right here - pretty much ruining FK because of how some tank and dps souls were using EA and such.

Necromancer : Some very sloppy attempts to buff it on pts which really wasn't thought out. Its still a fail and I bet the devs spent maybe 20 minutes work on it tops.

Chloromancer : I like chloro, but again another sloppy checkmark on the devs list after they had to put in 20min or less working on it. I do like the improvement and that finally Wild Growth is usefull*** but... again expect it to be abit clunky. They had the stupid idea of having Wild Growth drain ALL of your charge. This should be looked at because its a 1min cooldown and doesn't deserve that... its awkward and clunky and synergizes very poorly with the other Charge draining abilities that we use ALL the time. For a 1 min cooldown timer this is an awefull idea. Its not even that great of an ability to have such a massive resource cost, you can get cought with your pants down the way it synergizes with the rest of chloro.

All in all it seems like they are definitely trying BUT , seems like they don't have any idea on how good a legendary choice is compared to the normal version at this point (Legendaries DO NOT FEEL LEGENDARY). its just tunnel vision nerfs. And some of the recent changes just don't work as smooth with their main souls or their mechanics.

So what you will be looking from the latest is most likely Harb or Ele as your competitive choices on most of the upcoming raid content- which can change very fast in the next couple weeks. Ele/Pyro still isn't bad but id recommend you go back to the oldschool 61 Ele and get creative with the side souls/legendaries. Dust off the Harb and get some practice in as well.
    Last edited by MakeClericsGreatAgain; 02-21-2017 at 12:10 AM.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by MakeClericsGreatAgain View Post
    Firestorm is shell of what it used to be
    Legendary Fire Storm should never have existed in the first place.
    2 years of being told Hailstorm shouldn't exist in single target specs and we got Legendary Fire Storm, it's as if the devs aren't listening to any feedback given to them.
    If anything, they should have removed Legendary Fire Storm as a whole and made another ability from Pyro Legendary.

Frostkeeper [...]
    Half of Frostkeeper abilities are passives or near useless. There is nothing to do besides using Earthen Renewal or one of the very few other abilities.
    Hell... the AoE cleanse wasn't even made as a stand-alone ability (Like every other healing soul) but rather tacked on the AoE heal instead.

Necromancer : Some very sloppy attempts to buff it on pts which really wasn't thought out. Its still a fail and I bet the devs spent maybe 20 minutes work on it tops.
    So long as pet scaling and reliability isn't fixed, Necromancer will never be worth using. It took a 500% damage increase and 100% attack speed increase for Warrior Beastmaster's pet to be relevant. That's just how bad pets are. A spec which half of its talent focus on pets alone, you won't get much result. The whole "the exponent of nothing is still nothing" conundrum when it comes to Necromancer. A talent that increases the DPS of a pet that does no DPS will not increase DPS.
    Elementalist needed 2 broken legendaries (Elemental Forces and Elemental Burst) on top of a broken Pyro legendary (Fire Storm) to actually be relevant regardless of its pointless killable buff dispenser pets.
    And for Elementalist to stay useful, it will have to be just as broken in many departments to counterweight the tons of useless pet talents it has.

Chloromancer
    The only other use for charges is Entropic Veil (And Natural Splendor, but that's more than manageable), so I fail to see why Wild Growth costing all of our charge will make it a bad ability. It just means that you'll have 1 ability that doesn't benefit from your Entropic Veil after using Wild Growth if you maximize the use of Entropic Veil.
    Chloro has many problems, one of which is somewhat getting "fixed" with the change to veil (cross-healing), albeit at the cost of our Chloroharb solo spec reliability.
    The biggest problem Chloro has anyways is related to the elephant in the room for all healers. Healing crystals. All healers got balanced during Nightmare Tides around the healing crystals instead of balancing the healing crystals themselves to not break the fragile healing balance. They had to apply ability/talent specific nerfs, like Justicar's Salvation, because of how flat values increase react completely differently to each and every heals in the game.
    Now, Chloro simply cannot heal without a healing crystal because of the thousands of swings of Veil a chloro can do in a few seconds and how its healing got balanced WITH the crystal rather than WITHOUT. It's the same reason why Warden is currently able to push above 7 millions in total healing (healing + overhealing) per second in a raid setting. The broken interactions with warden legendaries and its talents multiplicating everything on top of the flat values from crystal being multiplied to level of healing that is beyond anything any healer can ever hope to achieve. The 4.5k flat value on the crystal becomes a staggering 200-300k+ crit for Bosun's Blessing because of those multiplicator.
    And yet again, instead of fixing the crystal to not provide flat values but instead flat SP or % healing increase, they'll just buff/nerf everything around them, bringing Chloromancer even further towards a useless state if it doesn't have a crystal to sustain it.
    Which is funny, because PvP healing crystals are bolstered in PvP right now (meaning they are basically paper weight for your crystal gear slot), making Chloro a literal waste of space in PvP because the only thing that kept Chloro ever so slightly relevant in Nightmare's Tides PvP was the healing crystal.

/rant over
    Last edited by Batislack; 02-21-2017 at 01:09 AM.

Rift Disciple

Default Thanks

The feedback is awesomeand I appreciate the insights on the various souls. I was hoping Frostkeeper would improve by with Earthen Renewal being nerfed,it makes the species difficult to play. Guess this weekend will be a PTS weekend for me!

It's sad to see.the Warlock would gimped with last week's change and.it makes the soul less viable going forward.

One thing about Rift though is that we have so.e great theorycrafters who will find a build that works.

Fingers crossed

Champion of Telara

One thing about Rift though is that we have so.e great theorycrafters who will find a build that works.

Fingers crossed
    Nope. They all left a while ago
    Archy Mage, Face, Prime, Primal Rouge, Rogue, Eric, W, @ Laethys --- Nefarious ---

Quote Originally Posted by Archyface View Post
    That's what the PTS is for so yeah we pretty much do know. Harb is getting a nerf though sooo of course this will change in a week

#1 61 Harb 11 Chloro 4 Arb

jesus this is still a thing? why is a dps spec speccing into a HEALING and TANK soul to be top DEVS.

if only other dps souls low lv legendaries werent so useless. why is CM an instant cast with an 8 sec cd instead of something useful for harb.

i've never been less interested to play dps on mage, the class that has always been the most interesting in all aspects in my opinion
    Last edited by sirdiggby; 02-21-2017 at 04:35 PM.

Is the whole fake deathly calling stacks bug fixed on the PTS for necro? Why bother buffing it until that's fixed smh.

Soulwalker

So I personally haven't played since July 2012 when the game was shifting from sub to F2P. Back then Pyromancer was your single tgt soul and Stormcaller was your AoE soul. I have seen and read through alot of posts. Is 61 Pyro any good compared to the crushing dmg they are doing across the board to all specs including the possibility of Harb as well? Anyone taken a look at that or some form of a primarily Pyro spec?
    Last edited by Raztlin; 02-23-2017 at 12:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Batislack View Post
    Legendary Fire Storm should never have existed in the first place.
    2 years of being told Hailstorm shouldn't exist in single target specs and we got Legendary Fire Storm, it's as if the devs aren't listening to any feedback given to them.
    If anything, they should have removed Legendary Fire Storm as a whole and made another ability from Pyro Legendary.

...snip...
    This times a thousand.

*Long, long ago in an office room far, far away, one dull and dreary morning*
    Leader: How can we make things more challenging, yet at the same time not make them more difficult, yet seem like we did, all while not having to do much work?
    Employee: *staring at the fire in a lighter* I've always liked fire. Fire is good. How about we keep the mechanics there, but lets make an ability that does the most DPS, and hides all mechanics. This way, the one button wonders of the world will be ecstatic, and the only extra work is to make one ability, and then pretty much just copy-n-paste everything else. Did I mention I like fire?
    Leader: You're a genius.
    Us: Oops, they did it again. They played with our hearts, when we were lost in the game.

You can turn down the graphics settings to make this abomination of an ability not to be so damned debilitating and annoying, but doing so now makes the graphical mechanic indicators nigh impossible to see as well.

I truly do enjoy, and have enjoyed this game continuously over the past 6'ish years. There's nothing out there currently, that has managed to come close. But this seemingly endless stream of inability to manage things with even the remoteness of competence is starting to wear down even the staunchest of us left.

I said it during the previous expansion, and I believe it's even more relevant in this expansion. There was a Star Wars episode where the following was said, "If this body is not capable of action, I suggest new leadership is needed. I move for a Vote of No Confidence..."
    Dimples Warrior Tank * If she flashes her dimples at you, it may cause pleasurable blindness.
    Laurie Cleric Tank * Life without Love, is like chocolate cake without real sugar.
    Dweia Rogue Tank * Come. Come with me. I will care for you.
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. - Unknown

Ascendant

"Legendary Fire Storm should never have existed in the first place."

Possibly one of the stupidest changes ever.

*Everyone asked for removing hailstorm from single target specs.*

=> Putting new "hailstorm" that does 3500% more dps than hailstorm while passively buff fire element in single target specs by a huge amount and made it #1 top dps priority at all times"... Last 30s, does 100k+ single target dps on its own, no cool down, AND regens charges... LOL... This is like the same as hailstorm cept incredibly more overpowered.
    Last edited by FateStayNight; 02-23-2017 at 03:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Archyface View Post
    #1 61 Harb 11 Chloro 4 Arb
    #2 Some form of Elementalist (I don't play Ele)
    #3 61 Warlock 11 Chloro 4 Arb
    Why 11 Chloro? Am I missing something there?
    Axynia - Pagefault - Segfault - Xinira
    <Transcendent>

Quote Originally Posted by qUiXui View Post
    Why 11 Chloro? Am I missing something there?
    If your question is "Why Chloro?" then the answer is: Legendary Bloom, Vile Spores + Nature's Corrosion and Natural Awareness

If your question is "Why 11 points in Chloro?" then I'd be guessing he put 11 points for LBV and Synthesis but for the top DPS, it would rather be 9 Chloro and 6 Arbiter.
    Cheesecakesandwich - Mage 70 | Wrecking - Warrior 70
    Italiansausage - Cleric 70 | Snaplemouton - Rogue 67
    Primalsandwich - Primalist 70
    I'm a grand connoisseur of the most delicate dish known as the poutine.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast