+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Mage DPS or lack there of it.

Rift Disciple

Default Mage DPS or lack there of it.

So i am level 70 and i have decent gear 2k hit and mostly using expert gear stats in 61 ele/ 15SC / 0 arb are as follows:

31k SP
    15.5k SC
    1.8k CP

I just cant seem to get consistent DPS in any mage spec atm, max i ever get is 180k in experts in 61 ele when the stars line up and elemental burst procs happen and crit, if i dont get crits or bad RNG dps is as low as 120k.

I have tried a few different specs but it seems it is not possible to be any where near the DPS output of warriors or rogues in basically the same gear as me (i havent seen any other classes in experts as dps) i just want to know if anyone else is having issues with low and inconsistent DPS, i cant be the only one out there.
    Last edited by DammitBilly; 11-22-2016 at 06:19 AM.

Rift Disciple

Right now because of poor scaling and horrible/worthless legendary abilities mages are relegated to third rate dps and mediocre heals.

I have yet to try some variations in specs to see if there are any hybrids that perform well, but the previous top performers like Harb and Ele fall way way behind every other dps class.

I'm going to brush the dust off my warlock tonight.

Cheers
    Last edited by Zargo; 11-22-2016 at 09:05 AM.
    Zzargo - DA -
    !!FIST!!
    <Shadow Embassy>

Telaran

I'm really disappointed with the dps I can do with my mage actually. I left the game somewhere when they introduced MoM. Came back with the new expansion and all I see is every class is just far superior to mages right now

As someone with around 4000 hours on my mage, it's really depressing to watch my favorite calling go from balanced (aside from Frostkeeper) to complete and utter trash.

Trion please tell me you have a plan to correct this.
    Niou Glitterdance - 70 The Silent
    Wikstrom Seihachi - 6- The Relentless
    -= Faeblight =-

Soulwalker

Mage is dead. I'm going Rogue.

Rift Disciple

I have tried Warlock, it is so gear dependant and is less DPS than ele at this point...

honestly the only thing that i am enjoying playing is chloro atm, other than the fact you go out of mana every 2 minutes and have to top up and the fact your oh **** CD has a 2 second cast time it works.

Telaran

I play a rogue and a mage. The mage was way OP'd in NT, and the rogue was nerfed. Now the opposite is true. These things all go in cycles.

Soulwalker

Default This is Ridiculous

Have played Mage since the beginning of the game and love it. I am only level 66 and already can see the writing on the wall unless some changes are made. I don't even feel like logging on anymore since Starfall. I can kill mobs fairly fast as ele but I have to drink a pot after each fight and wait for cool downs. If all my spells are not up or two mobs = dead. Such a drag! Level 65-66 was not so bad but now I am out of quests and dinking my way to 67 one carnage at a time. Feels like old school Everquest, ugh.

Will try some variation with a healing soul and see what happens today. Necrolock is too slow and I imagine Chloro would be the same. Almost thinking of going back to WoW, *shiver*.

I am a casual long time player/full pay and really really don't like this or have time for it.

End of rant

Prophet of Telara

Try 61/15/0 Warlock/Necro/Arbiter - very easy and fast leveling
    Live - Lokken - Mage - Unity Guild - Gelidra EU http://www.unityguild.net/
    Prime - Lokken - Rogue

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Brena View Post
    Have played Mage since the beginning of the game and love it. I am only level 66 and already can see the writing on the wall unless some changes are made. I don't even feel like logging on anymore since Starfall. I can kill mobs fairly fast as ele but I have to drink a pot after each fight and wait for cool downs. If all my spells are not up or two mobs = dead. Such a drag! Level 65-66 was not so bad but now I am out of quests and dinking my way to 67 one carnage at a time. Feels like old school Everquest, ugh.

Will try some variation with a healing soul and see what happens today. Necrolock is too slow and I imagine Chloro would be the same. Almost thinking of going back to WoW, *shiver*.

I am a casual long time player/full pay and really really don't like this or have time for it.

End of rant
    I think you should try a Harbinger/Chloro Spec for leveling, check the guide forum there are now a few guides for 4.0. Depending on your Equip, you can select a Harbinger/Chloro Spec with more DPS or Healing.

Rift Disciple

Default Mages no longer raid viable?

Our guild has set the standards (albeit theoretical) for the upcoming new raids. Of course, I can earn all the equipment necessary, but I can't make the cut for DPS. This is sad since I was the top DPS in raids prior to 4.0 and now I will be reduced to a support role as a chon or to no role at all. I've tried a new build every few days since the release, and I am first among mages in dungeons, IAs, ZE, you name it. But when put up against warriors and clerics in experts, I'm doing about 75-80% of their DPS ... and I know these guys, they are far from talented.

Hoping for a balancing soon!!!

Prophet of Telara

The glorious days of the Mage have already passed and reached a new low point with 4.0.

Even before 4.0 we were, with exception of the tank and support role, not particularly good. Prancingturtle speaks a clear language, in most singel target boss battles were Mages behind the other classes (Fauxmire, Nightstakler Caelon, Hericius).

The only positive is that we have reached the low point at a time when it plays no dramatic role. For the future Trion has to make a significant improvement to the mage class to keep up with the other classes.

Ascendant

From your nearby friendly Reaver forum:

Mages are fine, they just need to get more skilled at their class if they want to compete with us.

Sincerely yours,

Reaver Pros

Jokes aside what's mages best specs nowadays? Harb? or the 1 button no skill RNG elementalist?
    Last edited by FateStayNight; 11-27-2016 at 12:02 PM.

Soulwalker

Default Some suggestions

So I spend money on this expansion, level 5 levels, and suddenly im now the worst class in the game? I feel like I paid to get myself slapped in the face here. And the thing is: Its not just "Oh well it looks bad/people say its bad", it LITERALLY feels bad to play right now. Mages are now the squishiest class, coupled with the lowest damage. Wtf is this madness?

Issues I have found so far from my own testing, and that of friends, guildmates, etc who also play mages;

Pyromancer: Damage numbers at 70 feel bad. Even with better gear then other classes, they out damage you. Which, is sad and pretty pitiful, because pyro was the top damage spec for some time and meant to be you know? And for soloing content in SFP its extremely difficult if outright impossible without heavy costs to drinks, soul mending, and/or potions, due to the lack of sustain/durability you possess as a pyro unless you specifically go like, warlock or something on the side for some sustain and/or kite nonstop. God forbid you aggro an invader pack or two, you either run or die, you have no alternatives. So... your not top in raid dps anymore, and you cant solo very well due to being squishy/no good sustain. Not a very fun soul right now.

Suggestion: This class just needs one thing. Damage output. Make it the king/queen of single target dps again, like it was meant to be. It does not "NEED" sustain, or tankiness, or mobility. Its the "I hit like a truck" option, and right now, its hitting like a motor scooter. Giving it raw damage again will indirectly give it survival power in solo content as well, as you will be able to kill 1-2 mobs before they touch you. (As it should be!) But you instantly die if anything rams into you and beats your face in. (Again, as it should be).

Warlock: Now has significantly lower dps, roughly -25 to -45% damage (based on secondary souls/skill/macro setup) output to a pyro. And the self-sustain you gain from drain bolt, life leech and the mage armor buff is not bad, but not good either, just remember... warlock is still a dps soul, please treat it as such. I do not feel warlock will be raid viable until you fix it with this much of a hit to its damage output. To many people already want a "MINIMUM" of 200k dps for experts, warlock is almost incapable of that right now unless your already decked out in good expert+ gear. The irony.

Suggestion: Increase the damage output of the soul. Its healing is fine, its durability is "ok"/situational, but workable (maybe lower the cooldown on the 80% damage reduction skill to 1 minute instead of 2?), its kit is fine in general except for damage. It just does not do enough dps. Also allow legendary neddra's grasp, and legendary life leech to be procced with Healing Touch on dark touch/void barrage casts please. It feels weird when it only uses the normal versions and we have to cast them separately in the end anyway.

Elementalist: For the most part, its fine. But its way to RNG based. You "CAN" do amazing spike damage, but more often then not nothing wants to crit or proc... So you either do decent damage, or the lowest in a group. Please trim some of the RNG off this soul, please, and make it more stable.

Suggestion: Not much to say about this soul besides the RNG issues. Its kit right now is likely the best soul for mages right now. Fixing the RNG issues with this soul will raise its DPS, which, fixes the mage "Dps" issue for the soul. So. Easy enough I guess.

Necromancer: Do I even have to go into this? Its bad. It feels bad. It looks bad. Its statistically bad. "Oh wow its good at overworld/solo content". Yeah, you know who else is? Rangers. You know who does x3 or more damage then a necromancer? Rangers. What are we playing instead of necromancers right now? RANGERS. This soul has been needing a jackhammer to the face for a proper makeover for a while, and with the new legendarys out, EVEN MORE SO, as the necro legendarys are, fairly terrible. Please, please, please, make them better for dungeons, raids, solo content, just... GIVE THEM THE BIGGEST BUFF you have ever given a class in history. They deserve it. Anyone who has stuck with necros this long deserves a flippin t-shirt for the tenacity to keep going and a pat on the back. They do horrifically low dps and are just bad for anything but solo content, and even then they are not amazing at it.

Suggestion: Overhaul the entire soul. But for less drastic measures then that, it just needs some more damage. Not tons of it, but, just some more. Try to ween this soul off being "ONLY" for solo content, give it some kinda toy to be useful in a dungeon or a raid please - like maybe a raid wide buff that gains a few stacks based on how many deathly calling stacks you consume/use up that increases your raids damage by 2-6% for a few seconds? I dont know, but, it needs some TLC.

Chloromancer: One of the few souls that is ok right now I think. The nerf to wild growth was a heavy one, but, it does not actually hurt its role as a healer, only a raid buffer (Which is more of a supports job anyway), meanwhile its legendary abilities are, in my opinion, are pretty nice. The only issue I had with it, is that unlike all the other healer classes/souls, you actually need to get 2k hit before going into experts (and later raids) to ACTUALLY heal because you need to hit stuff to do so. All the other healers can scrape by with 1700-1800 and get access to gear faster/easier.

Suggestion: My only concern with chloromancers right now is the initial difficulty of getting 2k hit over other healing classes/souls. It may sound insane, but have yall considered giving chloromancers a perk or additional bonus to the mage armor they got for like +10-15% Total Hit Rating?

Dominators: This soul is... really laughable to look at, practice, and actually use. Supposedly its a "Support" soul but its ability to do so is massively lacking. Its dps is horrific, its cooldowns for its main damage abilities are to long, and almost all of its abilities do not even work on dungeon/solo/raid content, DESPITE BEING A SUPPORT ROLE, IT DOES NOT ACTUALLY GIVE ANY SUPPORTIVE BONUSES TO THE GROUP except for legendary reflection on a tank (EVERY 2 MINUTES), and its DEBUFFS are mostly -situational- and do usually not even work on non player targets. "But, but, dominator is a pvp soul!".... Thats the biggest joke I have ever heard. You do not design an entire specialization around one of the least popular aspects of your game. And even then, its not even that amazing at pvp right now due to its low damage, survivability, so on.

Suggestion: Make it an offensive support class. Give it abilities to temporary turn non-boss enemies into pets for a short time. Make its "damage on ability cast" abilities proc when NON-PLAYERS they are affecting attack with basic attacks as well. Make the legendary reflections cooldown the same as the normal versions. Maybe make the mass reflect give the effect of the legendary reflect if you have it. Maybe give it the ability to reduce the cooldowns of nearby allies and itself when it lands any form of interupt or hard cc on mobs (max of like 1 second cooldown reduction every 1 second or something?). This soul just needs a overhaul, and thats putting it lightly. Come on guys, I know you can make it great.

I have not done any testing or talked with people enough about Archon, Harbringer, Frostkeeper, other souls to really put my opinion on them, so I will avoid doing so to keep from looking like a fool, however, if anyone else has any tested input on these souls, please toss them in here. I really hope the dev's do something about this... v.v

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Vaenari View Post

Dominators: This soul is... really laughable to look at, practice, and actually use. Supposedly its a "Support" soul but its ability to do so is massively lacking. Its dps is horrific, its cooldowns for its main damage abilities are to long, and almost all of its abilities do not even work on dungeon/solo/raid content, DESPITE BEING A SUPPORT ROLE, IT DOES NOT ACTUALLY GIVE ANY SUPPORTIVE BONUSES TO THE GROUP except for legendary reflection on a tank (EVERY 2 MINUTES), and its DEBUFFS are mostly -situational- and do usually not even work on non player targets. "But, but, dominator is a pvp soul!".... Thats the biggest joke I have ever heard. You do not design an entire specialization around one of the least popular aspects of your game. And even then, its not even that amazing at pvp right now due to its low damage, survivability, so on.

Suggestion: Make it an offensive support class. Give it abilities to temporary turn non-boss enemies into pets for a short time. Make its "damage on ability cast" abilities proc when NON-PLAYERS they are affecting attack with basic attacks as well. Make the legendary reflections cooldown the same as the normal versions. Maybe make the mass reflect give the effect of the legendary reflect if you have it. Maybe give it the ability to reduce the cooldowns of nearby allies and itself when it lands any form of interupt or hard cc on mobs (max of like 1 second cooldown reduction every 1 second or something?). This soul just needs a overhaul, and thats putting it lightly. Come on guys, I know you can make it great.
    Dominator has never been intended to be the type of support you expect it to be. It doesn't bring bonuses, it is meant to prevent or mitigate negatives. I am not saying it's good or bad, just that it has always been a situational use soul.

As far as the other souls go, Archon is super clunky to play and is a mandatory 61 points in order to get Flaring Power. Harb is no better off than any other mage spec, and might be worse. From what I've seen, and heard, Frostkeeper is the only soul that is keeping up with other classes reliably.
    Mage Class Lead | RoF: 4/4 MS: 5/5
    I hate Clerics, Rogues(especially Hoss), and people whose names end in z (That means you Zeez!)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast