+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Nazuki

Thread: Help the Suck Mage!

Shadowlander

Default Help the Suck Mage!

Hey guys!

I am currently a suck mage, pulling abysmal DPS. I just got Harb and was told that Harb/Storm was the best, but I have some questions on how to start.

1) Is Harb/Storm still the best for ST? What about Ele, that just got boosted?

2) Which guide or video do you recommend? There's a bunch out there with different variants, but most are from last year. I'm interested in single-target PVP and PVE.

3) If Harb is the best way for damage, am I changing my gear to be more tank oriented? Choose the mage-tank pieces and not the mage-dmg pieces kinda thing?

4) I'm still struggling with macros. Back in my day, it was /cast X. From this guide I'm seeing this macro:

#show Vorpal Slash
    suppressmacrofailures
    stopcasting
    cast [notactive] charged blade
    cast Vorpal Slash
    cast Storm's Fury
    cast Rending Slash
    cast Introspection
    cast Vengeful Shock
    cast conditioned response

What does showing Vorpal Slash do; why do I need to suppress failures? When I try this out on a dummy, why is it only casting Reaper's Blade and Vorpal Slash and not all of them?

Thanks!
    Holiday addict.

Telaran

1) 61 Harb/13SC/2Ele (guide) is the best ST mage spec if played right; Ele got buffed and is pretty good for a 1 button spec! If you are new/returning and you don't want to put much effort into learning Harbinger, you should play this spec - it's like 90-95% of Harb's DPS potential or something and very easy to play (2 buttons total).

2) see above, search through the forums, newest-reply-threads are most likely up to date.

3) Harbinger is a DPS soul, so don't go for tank pieces. You should try to get ~3k Crit Power and then focus on increasing only Spell Power.

4) #show X = X's ability icon will be shown in your bar.
    suppressmacrofailures = spammy red text will be hidden that can be caused by various things. just put it into every macro as 2nd line.

there is no "Reaper's Blade" in the macro, so it won't be cast by that (its a weapon buff anyways)

Macro will do the following:
    1. ensure that "Charged Blade" is active (-> enough Charge left?)
    2. cast "Introspection" (off global cooldown; regenerates mana)
    3. cast "Conditioned Response" (off global cooldown; restores some HP)
    4. cast "Vorpal Slash" (8sec cooldown or something)
    5. cast "Storm's Fury" (15sec cooldown or something)
    6. cast "Rending Slash" until "Vorpal Slash" or "Storm's Fury" are off cooldown.
    7. cast Vengeful Shock if you dodge an attack

hope i could help
    Last edited by Nazuki; 07-17-2016 at 04:05 PM.

Shadowlander

Many thanks, Nazuki. I've gone through his video and guide and have a few more questions.

He's talking about a ton of macros, which I've copied. He has one named "starting" but in the video he says to start with something else. Also, wouldn't you go right from "starting" to "spam"?

His recommendation of Karuul alert is awesome, but it was last updated in 2013 and now produces an error. Any other suggestions?
    Holiday addict.

Telaran

you are talking about the Harbinger guide, right?
    yes you are.. ok:

you wouldnt want to go from "starting" (you don't even need that macro, because you will have the abilities on your bar anyways) to "spam", because you want to use your primary cooldown right after you put up your buffs/debuffs (which are included in the "starting-macro")

starting rotation should be:

Piercing Beam > Rending Slash > Blazing Light > (Raid cooldowns used) > Empyrean Ascension > HailStorm > Storm Shroud and Arcane Manipualtion > Vorpal Slash > Storm's Fury > Lightning Strike (if proc available) > Tempest Wind (if no proc)

aka.

"Starting Macro" x2 > Blazing Light > Empyrean Ascension > "Proc Macro" x1 > Storm Shroud and Arcane Manipualtion > "Spam Macro" x2 > "Proc Macro" x1 (if proc available) > else cast Tempest Wind

after that, keep hitting your "Spam Macro" until you get Armor Procs, use them and continue spamming. Keep track of your "Blazing Light" (refresh it with "Lucent Slash" at 1-3 seconds left). Reapply "Piercing Beam" once it falls off. Use your main cooldowns (Empyrean Ascension + Storm Shroud) once they are available again.

thats the basic rotation. just practice it and you'll don't even need to think about what you're doing (someday)

his karuuls set should still work though. Make sure you klick on "import SET" not "import ALERT (or whatever)", it will give you errors otherwise.

are you on NA or EU? maybe I can help you out ingame
    Last edited by Nazuki; 07-17-2016 at 05:33 PM.

Elementalist is pulling better numbers than harbinger now in single target situations. Best of all it has completely f2p soul builds that grant it!

61 Elementalist, 10 Necro(+dam and +sp), 5 Stormcaller (sp or +dam)

Pull out your fire elemental and enjoy!

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Maril View Post
    Elementalist is pulling better numbers than harbinger now in single target situations. Best of all it has completely f2p soul builds that grant it!

61 Elementalist, 10 Necro(+dam and +sp), 5 Stormcaller (sp or +dam)

Pull out your fire elemental and enjoy!
    no, it's not, if you play Harbinger right. Elementalist sits between Harb and Pyro.
    (might be better than Harb in pure cleaving fights. But not in ST DPS)

Shadowlander

For IA stuff I use my ele build and get good DPS usually in the top or top three places, for messing around solo I tend to use my Necro build as the tanking pet is pretty good and can be healed as well doing a fair dmg whilst healing and I quite like getting the Harb out which I am prob playing wrong as its not as good as ele on dps but I have more surviveable than ele which I can only kill my pet for heals which gives me little option other than being a glass turret in ele.

Try one of the simple ele builds and get it all macro'd up and give it a try, I was surprised at the lunatic dps I can pull in aoe especially and usually a mob at range is dead ST before it gets to me or I have to put shields up.

+ Reply to Thread