+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By detpack

Thread: pls suggest mage soul combination for pvp :)

Default pls suggest mage soul combination for pvp :)

Am using 61pyro for NTEs and Wfs and i want to try the others souls. Will buy both the souls pack today. So which combinations do the hardcore pvp mages prefer?
    I tried searching but most of the threads are months old. So thought i'd just create a new one.
    Last edited by AshuRain; 06-20-2015 at 09:34 PM.
    メイウェザーのスタイルを行きます!

Quote Originally Posted by AshuRain View Post
    Am using 61pyro for NTEs and Wfs and i want to try the others souls. Will buy both the souls pack today. So which combinations do the hardcore pvp mages prefer?
    I tried searching but most of the threads are months old. So thought i'd just create a new one.
    Today...

If you have great friends who are clerics and want you to succeed (live), you can take a raid Chloro into the WF and really have a blast. It's a good blend of complexity and power with limited survivability. You will be focused, so if you like being the center of attention... Read the guide by Deew in the guides section, put EV on your mouse thumb button, (this was a major switch for me) and turn EV off when spells are casting! Keep your teammates alive by switching gears and using LGV and LBV both.

Pyro is an option in warfronts but it's a gambling game. When CB and Fulminate both crit, people complain. When we have less than average crits, it's very disappointing. I roll a Pyro when I have 20Min before a raid I am not healing to warm up but that's it. It's an unreliable weapon atm and that is unacceptable for PVP play IMHO.

Dombiter - I don't play this much because I like healing. There are not many mages who do this but one who is very successful in PVP has mastery over every button in DOM and plays the objectives very hard. It's always this mage with the flag... capping that point... squirrin the best players and draining the living Mana outta healers. With a lot of dedication to learning WF momentum and reading your spellbook, you could have a very rewarding experience with Mage in PVP. The Mage I referenced has a good deal of Raid quality tank gear b/c primary tank in raids. I'd love to see more Mages go this route gear wise and in PVP.

Tomorrow...

Warlock could be a more viable PVP spec than it is today. Don't get me wrong, if your're very careful, you can rack up the kills but because Reaver is so far ahead of Lock, we are at a loss. (it's insulting to Mages that they put so many instant casts and 99% mobility on a spec that was a higher DPS than it's only comparison at the time it was created)

Also Harb could be a more viable spec than it is today.

Stay active on this forum and contribute to the way our class is going. We need more Mages to be involved in the discussion who play on a regular basis so the devs understand how to make our class as optimal and bug free as possible.
    Last edited by detpack; 06-20-2015 at 10:03 PM.

61 pyro is still the current highest single target DPS in PvP. I don't think thats generally disputed so not too sure why detpack said its unacceptable for PvP. I constantly get positive kda and top 5 damage in a wf if not #1. And I still don't have 1200hit so not the best gear.

The main thing with pyro is picking your targets. I mean that's like the number one thing with any PvP DPS class really but there is nothing really wrong with pyro atm.

If you want to PvP with mage I'd suggest:

Pyro for st DPS
    Arbidom for utility and general enemy annoyance
    Chloro for either st/raid heals. (Hps will skyrocket with weapon heal procs and severed houndspaw trinket)
    61dom for full support if you don't like arbidom or need more utility

And sadly those are the most viable right now. I've actually been having more success with warlock than I thought I would but it's pretty situational and having zero mobility hurts. Also seeing reavers have an ability to apply all known dots while warlocks don't is just disheartening.

Harbinger is also pretty useless right now but with the changes coming hopefully it'll be viable in pvp soon.
    Krakensensei: Lvl: 65 Mage
    Jackdaws:Lvl: 65 Rogue
    Sirsurgeon:Lvl: 65 Cleric
    Booze Cruise of Greybriar

The best possible PvP spec for mage is 31 arbiter, 24 chloro, and 21 harbinger. This combination should be obvious to anyone who plays mage competitively.

Quote Originally Posted by Dasmani View Post
    The best possible PvP spec for mage is 31 arbiter, 24 chloro, and 21 harbinger. This combination should be obvious to anyone who plays mage competitively.
    Best in what sense though? There is no single spec to play at all times. PvP is dynamic like that you should adapt to each wf depending on what your team needs. If your team needs more st DPS to burst that damn puri or defiler then you'd wanna play pyro not that hybrid.
    Krakensensei: Lvl: 65 Mage
    Jackdaws:Lvl: 65 Rogue
    Sirsurgeon:Lvl: 65 Cleric
    Booze Cruise of Greybriar

Pyro destroys things, has great CC, and insane escapability. If you know how to position and can avoid the Reaver death glare while running solo on the map, you can often carry your team.

Arbdom is the lamest spec in the game and I refuse to even build it as a matter of principle.

61 Dom is where it's been forever. Very useful in pvp.

Chloro, same thing. 0 self-heal, but awesome as a secondary healer when you've got a ST healer that can keep an eye on you. Synth-swapping can be devastatingly powerful if you're not dropping in 2 seconds due to the lack of self-heal.
    Abhor@Greybriar

Quote Originally Posted by ReleaseTheKrakens View Post
    Best in what sense though? There is no single spec to play at all times. PvP is dynamic like that you should adapt to each wf depending on what your team needs. If your team needs more st DPS to burst that damn puri or defiler then you'd wanna play pyro not that hybrid.
    This spec outperforms everything in every scenario. Need a tank healer for your raid? Harbarbomancer! Need a main tank? Harbarbomancer! Need the highest bursting melee spec in the game? Harbarbomancer! Need better cc than 61 dom? Harbarbomancer!

This one secret is why guilds like apotheosys keep getting those achievements. They've stacked their roster with 25 Harbarbomancers. The spec is so dominant among us mage in the know that you might as well rename the calling Harbarbomancer.

And the best part is Kervick designed the spec himself as an Easter egg for his friends (like me, I'm his bestie) and gave red hawk instructions to buff it secretly every patch. So we'll always have Harbarbomancer!

The best part is you don't even need buttons to play it, it runs entirely off your wand auto-attack! Using some skills is a dps gain though.

Rift Disciple

Most of the key pvp specs for Mage are 61 point based:

Pyro - The single target burn spec
    Chloro - Great 2nd healer
    Dom - CC and energy disruption + aoe dps.
    Harb - Mix with chloro for some solo work, only really good on certain maps but its awesome for going 1v1,1v2,1v3. Point taker and defender etc.
    Zzargo - DA -
    !!FIST!!
    <Shadow Embassy>

Pyro
    61 Pyro/12 Stormcaller/3 Harbinger
    or
    61 Pyro/15 Stormcaller/0 Arbiter

Dombiter
    61 Dominator/15 Arbiter/0 Whatever
    or
    5x Dominator/2x Arbiter/x Whatever

Domchon
    Dominator + Archon, forgot what the point spread was.

Other Dominator variants
    I don't bother too much with dominator so I don't know every variants there is, but there is several of themé

Warlock
    61 Warlock/9 Necro/6 Harb (Damage)
    or
    61 Warlock/9 Necro/6 Stormcaller (Damage and Living Storm)
    or
    61 Warlock/2 Necro/13 Stormcaller (Damage + Crit + extra break free)
    or
    61 Warlock/8 Chloro/7 Necro (Survivability, high self heal with slightly less damage. Require experts healing weapons to be effective)

Chloromancer
    61 Chloro/10 Stormcaller/5 Arbiter (Healing weapons and crystal are a must)

Harbinger (For the masochists)
    61 Harbinger/15 Stormcaller/0 Pyromancer
    Cheesecakesandwich - Mage 70 | Wrecking - Warrior 70
    Italiansausage - Cleric 70 | Snaplemouton - Rogue 67
    Primalsandwich - Primalist 70
    I'm a grand connoisseur of the most delicate dish known as the poutine.

Quote Originally Posted by Dasmani View Post
    Wrong.

Close though.
    -=[ Virulent - 65 - P100 | Harlakk - 65 - P100 | Ascaroth - 62 - P95 | Brahman - 65 - P92 ]=-
    -=[ VirulentX - 70 - P100 | Harlakk - 70 - P92 | Ascaroth - 60 - P10 | BrahmanX - 1 - P0 ]=-
    | VIRALIST: 65 |

it depends on the arena. holding codex for over a minute solo as 61 arbiter is hilarious and awesom . but would mostly fail at karthan ridge. chloro is op in white fall steppes, try out new things!

+ Reply to Thread