+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By forbiddenlake
  • 1 Post By Phs

Thread: Beginner Mage Questions (Yes, I read guides!)

Soulwalker

Default Beginner Mage Questions (Yes, I read guides!)

Hi! So I've finally gotten around to this game, and figured that Mage fit my favored archetype.

However, I'm still getting used to the class options. I like ranged caster dps preferably without pets. So it seems like some of my best options are either Pyromancer or Stormcaller. A lot of the threads I've been reading about the two seem pretty old (2011 when the game first started), so I was wondering if they are out of date at all.

I've read that Pyromancer is best single target whereas Stormcaller is best AoE. However, Stormcaller has a tendency to be easier to interrupt.
    In most games, I focus heavily on pve things like dungeons. So I was wondering which spec is more "optimal" for that. Do a lot of fights in dungeons/raids in this game have a lot of AoE-based mechanics? Also, are most mages these days sticking with Pyromancer?
    Basically, I want to be useful dps in dungeons and such.

Thanks for answering these probably very stupid questions :P

You're a mage, not a Pyromancer xor a Stormcaller. If you want to be useful in dungeons, learn and carry around both roles. And Chloromancer. And Arbiter. And switch between them as the situation calls for.
    Last edited by forbiddenlake; 05-11-2015 at 10:33 AM.

Soulwalker

So this game requires you to play every soul combination to be useful? I guess I was looking for more clear cut role delineation...Maybe it's not for me after all.
    It may just be me, but I think you missed a little bit of what I was asking about. I'm curious about the strengths/differences/current states of Pyromancer/Stormcaller. Sure, I know I'm a mage. Sorry I didn't use the exact terminology. But I'm planning on really getting into one soul and the using the others purely as needed.

But I'm sure your response will be well-liked regardless, since it's giving a "noob" some "practical" advice.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by forbiddenlake View Post
    You're a mage, not a Pyromancer xor a Stormcaller. If you want to be useful in dungeons, learn and carry around both roles. And Chloromancer. And Arbiter. And switch between them as the situation calls for.
    The Reason he said this OP is because its kinda true ur going to be doing alot of different things while lvling up and at cap lvl 65 that requires u to have a healing role a dps role and a support role its better to have these roles than to not have them but as for ur question.

Stormcaller is fine for dungeons u can use it for Single Target and u can use it for AOE aswell.

Pyro will be ur highest dps spec as a mage for stright full range ST combat so yes get it if u have extra role slots and i suggest u buy more role slots if u can.

This guy mention getting arbiter thats a new soul for mage tanking but u have to pay money for the pack so its kinda bad in a sense but u can make money ingame pretty easy at 65 so eventually ull get it The one soul pack ull want for sure iss the Storm Legion Soul Pack it gives u access to harbinger as a mage and its literally the best solo/open world spec ull ever play as a mage its damn near impossible to die in open world content using it.

In all it all depends on what u wanna play really dont let anyone tell u u have to play so and so spec to be good no.. this game isnt about that and thats only in raids.

You don't need to know every role, but if you want to be "useful dps" you will learn an AoE spec (e.g. Stormcaller) and a ST spec (e.g. Pryomancer) and switch between them as the situation needs. There is no optimal role; even though 61 Stormcaller has a single-target "mode", it's far outclassed by ST-focussed specs. There are lots of AoE fights (mostly trash) and lots of ST fights (mostly bosses).

If you really want to be a good mage or player (and drastically reduce LFG queue times) then also learn a healing and/or tank role.

If you want to pigeonhole yourself into "Pyro or SC", Rift may indeed not be the game for you.
    Note that open world content can be done with whatever; I'm talking about being a good player in dungeons. You probably could get away with one spec in dungeons (but certainly not in raids), but it'd be the rest of the team making up for your lack of diversity.
    Last edited by forbiddenlake; 05-11-2015 at 01:00 PM.

The best thing for you at this point is to find a quality starter guild. There are plenty that will take care of you gear wise and chat over a headset to you as a team. While most senior players will want you to obviously do some reading, there are some that will also share valuable tips over chat and even work out the kinks in your rotations so to speak. I've personally spent many hours with promising players on their gear weights and spell priorities (who seem like they are going to play for a while), until they hit numbers they didn't dream of hitting. Your guild mentors also rope together senior players to do your first NTE Dungeons and 65 Warfronts with you if you are lucky enough to have a good starter guild like I did back in the day. If you don't have a headset or mic yet, it's a quality investment so you can take advantage of what these great little communities offer.

Also, a primary ST DPS spec and an AOE spec is really a must for you before you hit "Nightmare Expert Dungeons" or NTEs as many call them. If you don't have a solid AOE spec and you get Empyrean Core, you will really be at a loss so make at least two specs! It will save you and your team time and it's expected of a Mage. You can always practice in a Warfront if your not ready with your spec. There are some great drops there also!

Don't forget that your knowledge is your greatest upgrade. You will actually enjoy having multiple roles when you learn more about what they can bring to the table. Storm/Dom for Conquest, Domlock for Warfronts, Choro for Raid heals, PyroChon for ST DPS support, Harb/Choro for world content, ect... All unique contributions to your team which make you more valuable.
    Last edited by detpack; 05-11-2015 at 05:13 PM.

Phs

You should have 6 roles/specs.
    Play more than one role. Be able to switch mid raid when needed.

Free-to-play specs you should have as a mage to be useful:

Pyromancer - 61pyro, 12SC, 3ele
    Chloromancer - 61chloro, 10SC, 5ele
    Stormcaller - 61SC, 10necro, 5ele
    Stormchon - 36chon, 40SC

Other useful specs:

Necromancer - 61necro, 11lock, 4SC
    Stormalist - 41SC, 32ele, 2dom
    Dominator - 61dom, 11SC, 4ele

In dungeons you should using Stormcaller on trash mobs and Pyro on bosses. It's that simple. You have to have both and switch as needed. Use Chloromancer to heal. Stormchon is a raid support spec. Necromancer is useful when the situation for a damage mitigation link is needed. Stormalist is similar dps to Pyromancer but has a pet. Dominator is pvp support and control soul.

So this game requires you to play every soul combination to be useful? I guess I was looking for more clear cut role delineation...Maybe it's not for me after all.
    If you want to be able to only play one spec and never have to change then yes,
    RIft is not for you.

Sword of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by HeroChao View Post
    Basically, I want to be useful dps in dungeons and such.
    Go Pyro, then. That's the simple answer.

Now if you aren't in a guild, and don't want to sit for hours in the LFG queue, you are well advised to heed the advice of others in this thread and learn how to Arbiter (tank) and Chloro (heal).

But as far as DPS goes, Pyro if you can you handle 1 DPS spec. Although unless you are geared and have your crit. capped, I'd probably suggest Soulstorm.

This game no longer has strict adherence to the standard RPG archetypes. Sadly the game developers think mages want to melee and tank now.
    Last edited by Bluejaye; 05-12-2015 at 05:48 AM.

A mage in rift is a wonderful toon to play. I love being one. Learn to do it all - a mage and tank, heal, support, do CC, DoT, AoE, Single Target DPS. Yes it takes multiple roles to be able to do it all but, it's worth having, you can be whatever your group need.

Personally I like a build with pets for soloing open world,Me as the DPS and my pet for a tank. Of course you DO NOT want to use a tank pet in a group with a real tank, it just messes the real tank up and causes things to fail/the group to wipe.
    Life is what you make it so make it good, even when it isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by HeroChao View Post
    But I'm planning on really getting into one soul and the using the others purely as needed.
    If you limit yourself to this you can go and open a n new threat " Dungeon queues are broken i wait for 2 hours and nothing happens"
    I am the weapon, my daggers are just tools
    Security Warning:This human beeing may use cynicism and sarcasm in a way you are not accustomed to, you might suffer severe mental damage
    Starfall Prophecy ALL Content cleared

Are you looking to have fun ? If so;

Step 1 try em all.
    Step 2 identify which souls you find fun !
    Step 3 play the fun souls

Are you interested in progressing in pve ? These 3 will open every door you want open.

1. Learn to Chon - always a spot open for you and your gear and dps will be scrutinized less

2. Learn to Chloro - Look up Dewws guide and get your chloro on ! (This is my fun zone)

3. Learn to Dps - Might as well just learn fire mage with storm locus being gutted soon, but I dislike pyro so I am playing storm hybrids until they rip them from my cold dead mage fingers.

PVP ? Mages are kinda meh atm in pvp but;

Pyro
    Dom
    Chloro
    Open World PVP !
    Seastone = Beststone ! Seastone + YOU = Good Times !

tank? Hell, I wanta run when I see a melee coming!

I rely on my own versions of necrolock and pyromentalist in open world (where I do spend a fair amount of time) and as much pyro with hurry up as I can get for WFs.
    Seastone (All Defiant; All the Time)
    [Seven Sisters] Guera, 70/100 Eth Rogue; Perlita, 70/100 Kelari Magician; Gitana 70 Eth Drugs/Outfits/Rings
    Carmelita 70/100 Eth Rogue Guns/Armor/Runes; Preciosa 70/76 Eth Magician; Chula 70/100 Kelari Rogue Survival

+ Reply to Thread