+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 15 of 15
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Healinator
  • 1 Post By Crithappens

Thread: i dont understand the classes

  1. #1
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    7

    Default i dont understand the classes

    ive looked at the mage guides on here and i see all these different builds and class names, like necro, and warlock and everything, but when i 1st logged on the game to create my character it had different names, like gravelord and summoners. Nine of the guides mention these names so im confused on what to pick, i like gravelord but i find it hard to find information on this build. someone help me, im a confused noob rite now

  2. #2
    Ascendant Artewig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    3,873

    Default

    If you have a new role, you will see a list of presets. Those presets have names like Gravelord and Summoner. Each of those presets have 3 souls that make up the build. Those are the names like Warlock and Necromancer. Most guides on the forums use builds that are different from the preset so they generally use the name of the soul that has the most points in it. Like Necromancer has the most points in Necromancer.
    Quote Originally Posted by TrionBrasse
    We are absolutely a service industry and you're only as good as your last contact with the customer.

  3. #3
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Artewig View Post
    If you have a new role, you will see a list of presets. Those presets have names like Gravelord and Summoner. Each of those presets have 3 souls that make up the build. Those are the names like Warlock and Necromancer. Most guides on the forums use builds that are different from the preset so they generally use the name of the soul that has the most points in it. Like Necromancer has the most points in Necromancer.
    well i wished they show the points before you choose, because it just gives me the names but doesnt tell me much, im not sure on what to pick, can these be changed later on in game? idk if gravelord is a good role to pick

  4. #4
    Ascendant Artewig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    3,873

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Millz715 View Post
    well i wished they show the points before you choose, because it just gives me the names but doesnt tell me much, im not sure on what to pick, can these be changed later on in game? idk if gravelord is a good role to pick
    If you click on the preset, it will give you the breakdown and a short description of the build. This is a cleric one, but it still shows the presets so it'll do.

    i dont understand the classes-asas.jpg

    Also, when you start, you have 3 different role slots you can use. If you go to a class trainer in a main city, you can reset the role if you want to change it (costs 1 plat to change) or you can purchase additional roles. So feel free to pick something and play around with it. You can always change it later. The presets are decent, but if you want the "top builds", ie the main ones people use in raiding, the forums are the best place to get them.
    Quote Originally Posted by TrionBrasse
    We are absolutely a service industry and you're only as good as your last contact with the customer.

  5. #5
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Artewig View Post
    If you click on the preset, it will give you the breakdown and a short description of the build. This is a cleric one, but it still shows the presets so it'll do.


    Also, when you start, you have 3 different role slots you can use. If you go to a class trainer in a main city, you can reset the role if you want to change it (costs 1 plat to change) or you can purchase additional roles. So feel free to pick something and play around with it. You can always change it later. The presets are decent, but if you want the "top builds", ie the main ones people use in raiding, the forums are the best place to get them.
    oh that must be a in game menu, im talking about the menu when your creating a character, i stopped making my character because i was confused on what to pick , and i didnt wana pick the wrong ones, and no guides help you on that part, just tells you to choose your purpose

  6. #6
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    351

    Default

    Don't worry about it so much. This game is extremely forgiving on redoing a character. All of the Callings can do everything (Heal, Tank, Dps) There are an infinitely number of ways you can customize those character to do such at thing. And even if you just hate something you can either respect out of it for a little bit of gold. Even still you can add on another role which will then let you choose the soul setup again without getting rid of the first soul setup. You literally can't mess this up especially now since everyone can do everything.

  7. #7
    Ascendant Artewig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    3,873

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Millz715 View Post
    oh that must be a in game menu, im talking about the menu when your creating a character, i stopped making my character because i was confused on what to pick , and i didnt wana pick the wrong ones, and no guides help you on that part, just tells you to choose your purpose
    Yes it is an in-game menu, sorry for the confusion. You can pick whichever you like because you can always change it when you exit the starting area.
    Quote Originally Posted by TrionBrasse
    We are absolutely a service industry and you're only as good as your last contact with the customer.

  8. #8
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    22

    Default

    Also when you choose a preset, when you load into the game for the first time youwill have "soul points" you can switch out the souls in your tree (press N) if you have no points in them yet, it will say 'this will invalidate your purpose' but that doesnt really matter

    So just choose any that you like the sound of and check it in game before you actually put any points into it. Or go talk to a class trainer in the nearest city/town - a new role is 30 gold and even at level 50 respeccing is only 50 gold
    Sziraxz@Typhiria|65|Mage|Kelari <Canicus>
    Illarixya@Typhiria|62|Warrior|High Elf <Canicus>

  9. #9
    Plane Touched detpack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    297

    Default

    Welcome to mage life Millz715! Don't forget that reading and Mage play go hand in hand so don't be afraid to hit up the guides section at the top and try new things.

    Purchasing additional roles is a good idea on the whole so you can switch playing style.

    Also, most here would say that purchasing the Harbinger soul is a worth while investment for the additional Spell Power stat in several builds. A Harb/Choro is a nice way to solo as well if you are questing or rifting. There is some nice gear that will drop in PVP and it's pretty exciting so don't forget to check that out also.

    All the best as a Mage!
    Last edited by detpack; 05-05-2015 at 02:44 PM.

  10. #10
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by detpack View Post
    Welcome to mage life Millz715! Don't forget that reading and Mage play go hand in hand so don't be afraid to hit up the guides section at the top and try new things.

    Purchasing additional roles is a good idea on the whole so you can switch playing style.

    Also, most here would say that purchasing the Harbinger soul is a worth while investment for the additional Spell Power stat in several builds. A Harb/Choro is a nice way to solo as well if you are questing or rifting. There is some nice gear that will drop in PVP and it's pretty exciting so don't forget to check that out also.

    All the best as a Mage!
    so i my current mage build now is Warlock/Necro/Pyro, i was thinking about switching to Warlock/necro/Dom or harbinger, i know some ppl like elementalist but im not really a fan of it. but the problem im having is i dont know what to spend points on, i mean is there a guide somewhere on each class that shows what are the necessary abilities and what should be maxed and what shouldnt?

  11. #11
    Champion
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    512

    Default

    Harbinger is a melee soul ..mix it with chloro and you have self healing which will see you through leveling. If you want to keep your distance then go for Necro with its tanking and damage specs. All of them are fun. Eventually you will get to Pyro (single target) and Stormcaller (AOE). But for the time being use self survival specs.

    Enjoy!

  12. #12
    Plane Touched detpack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    297

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Millz715 View Post
    so i my current mage build now is Warlock/Necro/Pyro, i was thinking about switching to Warlock/necro/Dom or harbinger, i know some ppl like elementalist but im not really a fan of it. but the problem im having is i dont know what to spend points on, i mean is there a guide somewhere on each class that shows what are the necessary abilities and what should be maxed and what shouldnt?
    This is the link to the mage guides on this website. You will learn a great deal by reading through the comments as well as the guides.

    http://forums.riftgame.com/game-disc...s/mage-guides/

    In particular, here is a guide for Warlock that is found on the link above.

    http://forums.riftgame.com/game-disc...ock-guide.html

    I might have mentioned this before, but I leveled with a Warlock when the game was new and it's really an enjoyable spec to play. Right now, it's total damage output is a bit on the low end comparatively but the devs have signaled that they will be looking that issue soon so I would encourage you to push the soul to the limit and just have fun with it. I'm sure many of the Mages in this community would tell you that there isn't another Mage soul which plays better! Smooth as silk.

    Don't forget that the guide I linked was designed to maximize damage output. There might be better ways to go as far as survivability is concerned for soloing. Most combine a bit of Cholo or Arb into the mix for passive heals from Life Giving Veil and a little heal called Bloom, or more armor.

    As far as what abilities to gain as you go up the tree, (I don't know how far up you are) there really aren't any that won't help you and you will have them all at some point. If you PVP with your Lock, try to grab the interrupt called Choke (and use it!) before Improved Mage Armor which is just a passive boost to your armor. This way you can stop big casts coming at you. Also Radiate Death is really important (Spreads your dots to others) as is Swift Corruption and Persist which refreshes all of your dots.
    Last edited by detpack; 05-08-2015 at 12:41 PM.

  13. #13
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by detpack View Post
    This is the link to the mage guides on this website. You will learn a great deal by reading through the comments as well as the guides.

    http://forums.riftgame.com/game-disc...s/mage-guides/

    In particular, here is a guide for Warlock that is found on the link above.

    http://forums.riftgame.com/game-disc...ock-guide.html

    I might have mentioned this before, but I leveled with a Warlock when the game was new and it's really an enjoyable spec to play. Right now, it's total damage output is a bit on the low end comparatively but the devs have signaled that they will be looking that issue soon so I would encourage you to push the soul to the limit and just have fun with it. I'm sure many of the Mages in this community would tell you that there isn't another Mage soul which plays better! Smooth as silk.

    Don't forget that the guide I linked was designed to maximize damage output. There might be better ways to go as far as survivability is concerned for soloing. Most combine a bit of Cholo or Arb into the mix for passive heals from Life Giving Veil and a little heal called Bloom, or more armor.

    As far as what abilities to gain as you go up the tree, (I don't know how far up you are) there really aren't any that won't help you and you will have them all at some point. If you PVP with your Lock, try to grab the interrupt called Choke (and use it!) before Improved Mage Armor which is just a passive boost to your armor. This way you can stop big casts coming at you. Also Radiate Death is really important (Spreads your dots to others) as is Swift Corruption and Persist which refreshes all of your dots.
    im only level 10 and havent used any points on the skill tree at all, i didnt know where to put them because i didnt wana mess it up and spend them on useless things. i have no idea on what abilities are actually a priority

  14. #14
    Ascendant Crithappens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,068

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Millz715 View Post
    im only level 10 and havent used any points on the skill tree at all, i didnt know where to put them because i didnt wana mess it up and spend them on useless things. i have no idea on what abilities are actually a priority
    You can reset your points by visiting a class trainer, so there's no worries about 'messing it up'. It's extremely cheap to do so. In fact, it's free until level 15.
    Rahka@Wolfsbane

  15. #15
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crithappens View Post
    You can reset your points by visiting a class trainer, so there's no worries about 'messing it up'. It's extremely cheap to do so. In fact, it's free until level 15.
    oh ok i didnt know that ok i guess i just have to experiment lol

+ Reply to Thread

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts