Closed Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Necromancer

Default Necromancer

Feel free to post anything about Necromancer here, build theorycrafting for launch etc.

Default Necro

Looking at this race it looks pretty cool.

Shadowlander

Only got up to 20 in the last beta, but soul purge is pretty much an "I win" button in pvp or pve at that point. If you're spamming your dots right, you should be able to build a full bar of charge fairly quick. The 5 points in lock also helps. Other ranged dps basically had to run the other way when I had charge.

They really need to add a feature that as the Level of the Pet increases, so do visual items on the Pet.

IE: Rank 2 Skeleton should get some armor.

Rank 3 should get a shield

Rank 4 should get plate.

As things stand right now. This is the build I am looking at for end game.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...oVVx.xtfzVzkus

Beta6
    "Planar War" thrusts players into the heart of the battle against the elements from the planes. The level cap will be raised to 35
    Not sure how I am going with these two trees for 35. Suggestions?
    The voices in my head told me to kill my hamster and poo in the refrigerator.

Quote Originally Posted by Dverge View Post
    They really need to add a feature that as the Level of the Pet increases, so do visual items on the Pet.

Rank 4 should get plate.
    Something like Sony does with EQ2 pet classes. Apprentice / Adept / Master

Vote +1
    The voices in my head told me to kill my hamster and poo in the refrigerator.

Soulwalker

Default solo necro

I cant say i know much about the other classes, i have only been lucky enough to have access to beta 5 but, i must say the necromancer lived up to my expectations.

I lvled up to 25 with the following build: necro/warlock/dominator. The soloing potential of that build is just crazy. my points were distributed roughly 25/4/0. The upgrade to the basic 'pet' is quite solid on his feet, any1 who has a basic knowledge of pulling/killing with pets will find that pulling agro from the tank pet isnt an easy task. If the spells are cast in the correct sequence, the pets abilities do more damage/taunt more etc....he is quite a beast when used adequately.

The warlock tree just sounded like a good choice at first yet, after playing with it, the only good thing that seemed to come out of it is the increased charged (25% with 5 points) which basically enables the necro to cast soul purge on a very constant basis...thus dealing good damage to the mob and healing himself and his pet at same time.

I liked the dominator tree at low lvl because the transmogrify spell saved my but on a few bad pulls.....that being said, at higher lvl, when the necro gains FD, who needs the charm, FD on a 30 second recast can pull you out of bad spots (PVE of course)

Now that i know the class a bit more, i intend on rolling a necro/warlock/???? TBC at release...hoping to see more posts here to help me make up my mind on that one ;-p

Needless to say, i am going on a PVP server, didnt get down to PVPing much as i was more intended on learning the basics when i first got exposed to the game but i honestly feel the necro is going to be one mean foe on the field.

hell fellaws, i need a 3rd calling...chloro seems to be another good one but i dont feel i need more heals with what ive seen up till now....

cheers!

Soulwalker

I have been playing around with class builders and liked the feel of necro/lock 34/29 respectfully, and i splashed 3 points in stromcaller for some enemy movement control and increase crit hits. have not played this build as I only got invite to Beta 5 and played cleric, so looking forward to trying this if i get the chance. I like PvP and belief (maybe wrongly) that if you can stand up and be counted in PvP then PvE is a cake walk.

Have no idea about end game, I only know what I prefer at my current level of L30

War/Necro/Dom is my current build

The Warlock/Necro build made life easy to level. I have a second build with more points in Necro to get feith death, so I can charge from place to place and just feith death when hit by mobs and get back on horse and charge again.

My main will be a Warlock/Necro with one build mostly warlock and one build mostly necro.

At L50, I can combine and just have a build that is 50/50 and get all the cool toys

I like Soul Purge but I prefer to have Mortaility and Shadow Life from the warlock tree instead of Soul Purge.

Reconstruct from the Warlock is a much have
    But Essence Link is much better then Life Leech
    And Reclaim Power is much better then Sacrifice Life: Mana
    (only use Sacrifice Life: Mana, if out of mana mid fight and use Reconstruct too)

After a battle, use Reconstruct then Reclaim Power and be at max mana\life in a few seconds.

P.S. Does anyone use Plague Bolt (I don't even have it loaded on my action bar) I use Void Bolt instead
    Last edited by Natjur; 01-31-2011 at 04:27 PM.

Soulwalker

Default pet appearance

Quote Originally Posted by DamnLag View Post
    Something like Sony does with EQ2 pet classes. Apprentice / Adept / Master

Vote +1
    hell, we should be able to equip looted items on our pets so we could 'customize' them...now that would be sweet.

i can allready imagine a dual wielding plate wearing bad smelling bag of bones running after people in the open plains...ohhh yeah.....

the smell of decay...smells like victory.

LONG POST INC!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...0qxo.xtctVzk0s
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++

This is a Necromancer spec that makes use of the highest DPS one can manage from the Necromancer soul with the necessary Warlock investment. The support in the Necromancer soul comes primarily from a change in playstyle rather than a change in talent investment, as i will detail below.

The main theme for the build's points are in increasing personal health return and self healing, so as to afford yourself more Life Shifting. It also relies heavily on a large health pool to provide the bonus healing.

This build is all about being able to;
    HEAL OTHERS
    Life Shift: 2 second cast time. Amount healed is increased by spellpower AND caster's maximum health.
    Blood Binding: 10 second heal over time, not affected by your maximum health.

Note about Life Shift mechanics: It cannot crit, but is affected by bonus healing. It is also Life type.

And due to your heals damaging you, you will need to;
    HEAL YOURSELF
    Life Leech: 2 second cast DoT, returns health.
    Draining Bolt: 30 sec CD, instant cast, returns health equal to 50% of damage done.
    Soul Purge: Channeled single target spell, consumes charge, heals both you and your pet.
    Reconstruct: Converts charge into health, channeled. More effective than Soul Purge for health return per charge used.
    Essence Link: Debuff on mob, lasts 1 minute, returns health when your pet does damage. Pet DoTs and auto attacks appear to not proc the healing.
    Mortality: AoE 1 min CD channeled spell, consumes charge. Use instead of Soul Purge for AoE situations. (more effective health return than Reconstruct with multiple mobs.)

Note on self-damaging abilities: NEVER use Sacrifice Life: Mana, use Reclaim Power instead! It takes health from your pet instead of from you and gives you mana. Watch out though, it CAN kill your pet. Sacrifice Life: Damage is acceptable to use just before engaging, as your initial assault is likely to make up for the loss of health and little healing should be necessary.

And because of the nature of the build, you will need to;
    BUFF HEALING
    Vitality: Warlock talent, +10% health, effectively makes Life Shift heal for +11% of max. health.
    Neddra's Strength: Stamina Buff, self explanatory.
    Shadow Life: 3 min CD, increases current and max. health by 50% for 20 sec. Gives you more health to work with in dire situations, AND increases the amount of healing done by Life Shift. Great in those 'Oh Crap!' moments.

Note about Shadow Life: If you take 50% of your health in damage within the 20 second duration or you are below 50% health, it will have functioned exactly like a permanent heal, so spam Life Shift while under it's effect to make the most of the health AND the bonus healing! In situations where you reflexively reach for this ability while under siege from multiple mobs, hit Feign Death instead!

It is also important that you pay attention to;
    YOUR ROTATION
    1. Essence Link: 60 second debuff, makes your pet's attacks return health to you, target receives 15% less healing.
    2. Looming Demise: 60 second debuff, target does 5% less damage, buffs pet's attacks.
    3. Necrosis: Instant cast DoT, buff's pet attacks.
    4. Grave Rot: 10 sec. CD AoE, lasts 6 seconds. Applies a stack of Deathly Calling every second to those in the area. NOTE: use this instead of Plague Bolt to stack Deathly Calling (unless you are in fear of breaking nearby CCs) even on single targets.
    5. Life Leech: 1 second cast DoT, important to keep up for the health return.
    6. Dark Touch: Instant cast DoT, no other bonuses, but you ARE still a DPS soul.
    7. Soul Purge/Mortality: Deals damage and heals self. Soul Purge can be used when under 80 charge, even 1 or 2 ticks are more efficient DPS than Plague Bolt. NEVER use Mortality if under 100 charge and don't use it if you don't expect to get the full duration (due to a foreseeable need to cast heals, buffs or other spells. If all mobs would die mid-cast it's fine.)
    8. Devouring Shadows: 6 second channeled AoE DoT. Great for 3+ mobs IF no-one needs healing, your health is topped up and Mortality is on CD.

Note about Grave Rot and Plague Bolt: If a 1.5 second cast time is achieved by Plague Bolt, and you use the Shadow Revenant so the points in [Fresh Graves] can be placed in [Deadly Plague], AND you are fighting a single target (in AoE situations the Revenant's AoE capabilities make Grave Rot still better), Plague Bolt is more effective in terms of stacking Deathly Calling, however it should cast twice (Blood Corruption achieves maximum affect from 4 stacks of Deathly Calling, not 5).

And to eliminate some confusion regarding;
    NECROMANCER PETS AND YOUR DEBUFFS
    Shadow Revenant (Caster)
    Ruination(DD spell): Necrosis makes it cause less threat. Looming Demise doubles it's damage. Deathly Calling makes this affect 4 enemies surrounding target who are also affected by Deathly Calling. [Vengeful Spirit] makes Deathly Calling on the target guarantee a crit.
    Oblivion(DD spell, 10sec.CD): Necrosis makes all those around target ALSO affected by necrosis take the Oblivion's damage.
    Blood Corruption(DoT, 14sec.CD): Stacks to 5. Converts up to 4 stacks of Deathly Calling into stacks of Blood Corruption. Cannot stack without Deathly Calling due to it's 12 second duration. [Vengeful Spirit] stops this ability from consuming Deathly Calling when stacking.

Skeletal Zealot (Rogue)
    Jagged Wound(DD, 4sec.CD): Necrosis makes it deal double damage and reduce threat. Looming Demise makes it deal 50% more damage.
    Soul Rend(DD, 5sec.CD): Looming Demise makes it deal 50% more damage. Deathly Calling makes it deal 30% more damage per stack (55% with [Fresh Graves]).
    Blood Spike(DD, 7sec.CD): Looming Demise makes this crit. Consumes Deathly Calling on the target to reduce it's own CD. 3 stacks of Deathly Calling makes this remove the CD with Clattering bones.

Skeletal Knight(Warrior)
    At first I omitted this one as it isn't a pet you would use in a group, but the information may be useful to anyone who reads this.
    Bone Strike(DD, 4sec.CD): Necrosis makes this generate bonus threat. Does 15% more damage per stack of Deathly Calling.
    Grave Touch(DD, 15sec.CD): Consumes 1 Deathly Calling for bonus Death damage. Looming Demise on the target doubles damage. [Fresh Graves] makes Necrosis on the target increase damage by 50%.
    Bone Shatter(DD, 20sec.CD): Looming Demise makes this do 50% more damage. Consumes 1 Deathly Calling from up to 5 enemies in melee range to force them to target the Skeletal Knight. Take the auto-cast off this ability and put it on your bar, as it will require you to Grave Rot the required targets before using.

A note on Pet choice: For boss fights the Zealot and the Revenant return similar amounts of health via Essence Link (~48 every 2 seconds, decently geared at lvl 30), so the choice is yours. The 3 points in [Clattering Bones] should be moved to [Vengeful Spirit] and the 5 points in [Fresh Graves] can be moved elsewhere if you choose to use the Shadow Revenant ([Deadly Plague] is a bad choice as the Shadow Revenant's only Deathly Calling consuming ability is the Ruination AoE proc, better handled by Grave Rot. See my note under ROTATION before making up your mind, however). The Shadow Revenant outperforms the Skeletal Zealot in terms of health return AND DPS in AoE situations.

So, in
    CONCLUSION
    In terms of personal damage output, the Warlock/Elementalist/Pyromancer/Stormcaller will likely out-DPS you. This is normal and completely OK. You didn't choose the Necromancer to top DPS meters. It's the support you bring to a group in the form of buffs and heals that make you a more attractive choice, and also your myriad of self-healing abilities that mean the healer doesn't need to ever worry about using mana on you!

The Necromancer soul is a difficult one to master, taking into account both you, your pet and the health of your team mates while DPSing. If you can prove yourself as a Necromancer, you will have proven yourself as a player.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    I thought, for the sake of interest, i would also put this in

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...dctVzkh.xdhu0M

You lose 20% spell damage through [Shadow Life] and [Improved Warlock Armor] but due to the fact that Life Shift is Life-based, it procs Natural Awareness and the damage Life Shift deals to you procs the Lifegiving Veil's heal on your party, so you gain more passive healing.

Also gives Bloom, Flourish and Radiant Spores, but gives up a silence and a snare. This spec requires the use of the Shadow Revenant as a pet over the Skeletal Zealot because points have to be removed from [Fresh Graves].

This spec WILL make you backup heals and destroy any thought of you being competitive DPS, whereas the more necromancer/warlock intensive spec will see you still pumping out decent DPS.

PPS: We all know how useless Revivify is, turn it into a rez! it fits with the idea of necromancer lore perfectly and would make the ability usable again!
    Last edited by RadioD; 01-31-2011 at 04:54 PM.
    -Sar'than, Oathbinder of the Blooded Stone

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Dverge View Post

Rank 4 should get plate.
    They kinda did.. as you put points into the tree you get new, better looking pets. The stalwart at 12 points and the Zealot at 21 points. Stalwart get sword and shield. Zealot gets 2 swords

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by boumerang View Post
    hell, we should be able to equip looted items on our pets so we could 'customize' them...now that would be sweet.
    That's what I always wanted too. At least just for looks. but they do look pretty good now I admit
    Last edited by pkhere; 01-31-2011 at 04:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pkhere View Post
    That's what I always wanted too. At least just for looks. but they do look pretty good now I admit
    They do look pretty good.. then there's the Revenant
    Ktperry, 50 Dwarf Marksman

Not to be an arse here, but c'mon guys, get some real Necromancer thoughts and information here, instead of what the soul CAN'T do and what the pets look like.
    -Sar'than, Oathbinder of the Blooded Stone

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast