+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Top mage DPS specs 3.0

  1. #1
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    43

    Default Top mage DPS specs 3.0

    What are the top mage DPS specs atm?

  2. #2
    Plane Touched Illuyanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    281

    Default

    Grillmancer
    George Foremancer
    Killitwithfiremancer
    Burningmancer
    Castunderwaterfirespellmancer

    (Pyromancer, if it was not obvious)

    I think loco, stormlock and stormalist are good, but under pyro. I played pyro since pre buff so i dont really know.
    Illuyanka@Greybriar-Mage
    Ixxtab@Greybriar-Rogue
    Mets@Greybriar-Cleric
    Antaikolon@Greybriar-Warrior
    CODE FOR FREE STUFF FOR NEWBIES: PRR9NF2PG2NXQ77KDDJQ

  3. #3
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Illuyanka View Post
    Grillmancer
    George Foremancer
    Killitwithfiremancer
    Burningmancer
    Castunderwaterfirespellmancer

    (Pyromancer, if it was not obvious)

    I think loco, stormlock and stormalist are good, but under pyro. I played pyro since pre buff so i dont really know.
    Loco?

    /10char

  4. #4
    RIFT Guide Writer NotTrev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,606

    Default

    Pyro, ScLock, ScHarb and Lock all equally viable on a number of fights, depending on conditions. Never was a fan of ScEle, so haven't ran it post 3.0.

    #1 worst name NA, all time
    Soulstorm!

  5. #5
    Plane Touched Illuyanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    281

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phenom986 View Post
    Loco?

    /10char
    Perdón, mi autocorrector del teléfono.

    Sorry, phone auto corrector.
    Illuyanka@Greybriar-Mage
    Ixxtab@Greybriar-Rogue
    Mets@Greybriar-Cleric
    Antaikolon@Greybriar-Warrior
    CODE FOR FREE STUFF FOR NEWBIES: PRR9NF2PG2NXQ77KDDJQ

  6. #6
    Telaran TheZero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    92

    Default Relevant Raid DPS Specs

    AOE
    61 Stormcaller
    61 Dominator

    Cleave/Multitarget fights
    61 Warlock
    61 Stormcaller
    Stormlock
    Stormbinger
    Harbchon w/ Blademark

    Single Target (or at least majority single target)
    Stormlock
    Stormbinger
    61 Pyro
    Pyrochon
    Harbchon

    Xeero@Greybriar - Mage - REKT | Zerostar@Hailol - Warrior - Coriolis | Zerotrix@Greybriar - Mage - Crayons

  7. #7
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheZero View Post
    AOE
    61 Stormcaller
    61 Dominator

    Cleave/Multitarget fights
    61 Warlock
    61 Stormcaller
    Stormlock
    Stormbinger
    Harbchon w/ Blademark

    Single Target (or at least majority single target)
    Stormlock
    Stormbinger
    61 Pyro
    Pyrochon
    Harbchon
    Are those in order of highest to lowest given ideal conditions?

  8. #8
    RIFT Guide Writer Nynja's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    924

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phenom986 View Post
    Are those in order of highest to lowest given ideal conditions?
    no /10 chars
    Quite@Typhiria
    -GreatWhiteNinja- he was right after all -
    61 Dominator Guide
    Nightmare rifts - An indepth guide to reach stage 300

  9. #9
    Telaran TheZero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    92

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phenom986 View Post
    Are those in order of highest to lowest given ideal conditions?
    I think the term "ideal conditions" is subjective. Each spec has a place in a certain scenario. Give me a fight and I will give my opinion on which spec is optimal.

    Xeero@Greybriar - Mage - REKT | Zerostar@Hailol - Warrior - Coriolis | Zerotrix@Greybriar - Mage - Crayons

  10. #10
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheZero View Post
    I think the term "ideal conditions" is subjective. Each spec has a place in a certain scenario. Give me a fight and I will give my opinion on which spec is optimal.
    When I say ideal conditions, I'm saying something like


    "In a single target, no disconnect fight, is that the best DPS for single target?"
    "In a 2 target, no disconnect fight, is that the best DPS for cleave?"
    "In a 5+ mob, no disconnect fight, is that the best DPS for aoe?"

    etc.

  11. #11
    Rift Chaser KelbornOrdo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    367

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phenom986 View Post
    When I say ideal conditions, I'm saying something like


    "In a single target, no disconnect fight, is that the best DPS for single target?"
    "In a 2 target, no disconnect fight, is that the best DPS for cleave?"
    "In a 5+ mob, no disconnect fight, is that the best DPS for aoe?"

    etc.
    Single Target:
    1. Stormbinger
    2. 61 Pyro / Stormlock*
    3. Warlock

    *which is higher depends on whether the encounter favors Sustained damage (ScLock) or Burst damage (Pyro)

    AoE:
    • Stormcaller = sustained
    • Dominator = burst

    This really comes down to how long the fight is going to last. Dominator just wrecks on short fights, but Stormcaller pulls far ahead on longer ones due to Dom being dependent on some very long cooldowns.

    Multi-target Cleave:
    1. Warlock = 2 target
    2. Stormcaller = 3+ target
    3. Stormbinger = mobile cleave

    Some may disagree here, but I find that Warlock does best on 2 target fights since it's much simpler to manage your DoTs than it is on more targets. Stormcaller comes close on 2 targets, but it is much better suited for 3+. Stormbinger has good AoE, and is far more mobile than Lock or SC.

    Support Specs Single Target:
    1. Stormchon
    2. Harbchon
    3. Pyrochon

    Support Specs AoE:
    1. Harbchon
    2. Stormchon*
    3. Pyrochon

    *depends if you spend the points in Lightning Field and Charged Field or not; if so then it's about even with Harbchon

    One important thing to note about the Support specs is that Stormchon is 100% stationary, and Harbchon is 100% mobile. Pryochon is about 70% stationary. This is ultimately the biggest factor in which one you'd use. If you don't have to move at all, use Stormchon. If you have to move, use one of the others. If you can be in melee range the whole fight, go with Harbchon. If you have to do some movement but there will be significant melee disconnects, use Pyrochon.

  12. #12
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KelbornOrdo View Post
    Single Target:
    1. Stormbinger
    2. 61 Pyro / Stormlock*
    3. Warlock

    *which is higher depends on whether the encounter favors Sustained damage (ScLock) or Burst damage (Pyro)

    AoE:
    • Stormcaller = sustained
    • Dominator = burst

    This really comes down to how long the fight is going to last. Dominator just wrecks on short fights, but Stormcaller pulls far ahead on longer ones due to Dom being dependent on some very long cooldowns.

    Multi-target Cleave:
    1. Warlock = 2 target
    2. Stormcaller = 3+ target
    3. Stormbinger = mobile cleave

    Some may disagree here, but I find that Warlock does best on 2 target fights since it's much simpler to manage your DoTs than it is on more targets. Stormcaller comes close on 2 targets, but it is much better suited for 3+. Stormbinger has good AoE, and is far more mobile than Lock or SC.

    Support Specs Single Target:
    1. Stormchon
    2. Harbchon
    3. Pyrochon

    Support Specs AoE:
    1. Harbchon
    2. Stormchon*
    3. Pyrochon

    *depends if you spend the points in Lightning Field and Charged Field or not; if so then it's about even with Harbchon

    One important thing to note about the Support specs is that Stormchon is 100% stationary, and Harbchon is 100% mobile. Pryochon is about 70% stationary. This is ultimately the biggest factor in which one you'd use. If you don't have to move at all, use Stormchon. If you have to move, use one of the others. If you can be in melee range the whole fight, go with Harbchon. If you have to do some movement but there will be significant melee disconnects, use Pyrochon.
    Thanks!

    /10char

  13. #13
    Ascendant Byaku's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,556

    Default

    Elementalist #1 All Categories.

  14. #14
    RIFT Guide Writer NotTrev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,606

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KelbornOrdo View Post
    Single Target:
    1. Stormbinger
    2. 61 Pyro / Stormlock*
    3. Warlock

    *which is higher depends on whether the encounter favors Sustained damage (ScLock) or Burst damage (Pyro)

    AoE:
    • Stormcaller = sustained
    • Dominator = burst

    This really comes down to how long the fight is going to last. Dominator just wrecks on short fights, but Stormcaller pulls far ahead on longer ones due to Dom being dependent on some very long cooldowns.

    Multi-target Cleave:
    1. Warlock = 2 target
    2. Stormcaller = 3+ target
    3. Stormbinger = mobile cleave

    Some may disagree here, but I find that Warlock does best on 2 target fights since it's much simpler to manage your DoTs than it is on more targets. Stormcaller comes close on 2 targets, but it is much better suited for 3+. Stormbinger has good AoE, and is far more mobile than Lock or SC.

    Support Specs Single Target:
    1. Stormchon
    2. Harbchon
    3. Pyrochon

    Support Specs AoE:
    1. Harbchon
    2. Stormchon*
    3. Pyrochon

    *depends if you spend the points in Lightning Field and Charged Field or not; if so then it's about even with Harbchon

    One important thing to note about the Support specs is that Stormchon is 100% stationary, and Harbchon is 100% mobile. Pryochon is about 70% stationary. This is ultimately the biggest factor in which one you'd use. If you don't have to move at all, use Stormchon. If you have to move, use one of the others. If you can be in melee range the whole fight, go with Harbchon. If you have to do some movement but there will be significant melee disconnects, use Pyrochon.
    It isn't just this straight forward though. More variables than just melee conectivity/st/cleave. Mobility and target swapping are variables. Neddra's Grasp consumption is a variable. For instance, I prefer sclock over pyro on anything st(pyro loses straight st) until it comes to heavy target swaps, like Finric. But if NG consumption is low I would likely take scharb, if possible.

    Also rng. Rng in terms of mechanic rng(did it happen at the start of raging storm?), crit rng obviously and then proc rng. Scharb can/should beat sclock straight up with both in melee and no movement, but if it has poor proc rng(which leads to charge starvation and less charged blade uptime) it'll lose. However, if that bad proc rng happens during voj it won't be as impactful. Rng.

    Basically, it comes down to sclock, scharb, pyro and lock all being viable, but under varying conditions. Better you know your specs/the encounter the better you can determine which is the best for each.
    Last edited by NotTrev; 11-21-2014 at 01:49 AM.

    #1 worst name NA, all time
    Soulstorm!

  15. #15
    RIFT Guide Writer
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    819

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NotTrev View Post
    Basically, it comes down to sclock, scharb, pyro and lock all being viable, but under varying conditions. Better you know your specs/the encounter the better you can determine which is the best for each.
    :thumbsup:
    And if youre stubborn like me you dont need to play sclock at all!
    killings - Mage - Apotheosys - Typhiria

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts