+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Mage Masteries

Default Mage Masteries

While Leveling from 61-65 you don't gain more soul points, you instead gain a Mastery point to spent in one of four perks per level.

From 61-64 these are just passive perks.

The Level 65 on the other hand are abilities that can have different affects depending on how each is used.

Each role can have there own setup of what Masteries to use.

Level 61
    Arcanist's Shield
    * Critical hits with damaging and healing abilities apply an absorbing shield to you, and your pet, absorbing damage up to 3% of your Maximum Health. Can occur up to once every 6s.
    * Transmogrify can affect up to 2 enemies at a time.

Bulwark of Souls
    * Increases your Block Mitigation and Guard from equipment by 5%.
    * Casting Vile Spores or Ruin will refresh your active Radiant Spores on the enemy.

Final Breath
    * Upon death, enemies you, or your pet, have damaged within the last 3s apply Soul Collector to you, and your pet, healing for 4% of your Maximum Health over 5s. Can occur up to once every second.
    * When cleansed, your damage over time effects deal Ethereal damage to the enemy equal to 50% of your Spell Power.

Overflowing Vitality
    * While in combat, you heal 25% of your Endurance every 3s.

Level 62
    Rejuvenating Presence
    * Allies affect by your Guard receive 2% more healing.
    * Lucent Slash will spread Blazing Light to up to 5 additional enemies within 7m when it hits an enemy affected by your Blazing Light.

Proficient Restoration
    * Increases incoming healing by 3%.

Healing Expertise
    * Increases your healing done and absorption granted by 5%.
    * Casting Dark Touch also applies Life Leech and Neddra's Grasp, if known, to the enemy.

Healing Exigency
    * When critically hit with a damaging ability, the next single target heal you receive, within 5s, has a 100% chance to critically hit.
    * Increases the range of your non-melee damaging abilities by 5m. Does no stack with other range increasing effects.

Level 63
    Eldritch Swiftness
    * Increases unmounted movement speed by 10%.
    * Increases the radius of your Guard by 3m.
    * Healing from your Soothing Waters heals up to 3 party or raid members within 10m of you for the amount healed.
    * Reduces the cooldown of Natural Splendor by 60s and allows it to be cast while moving.

Combat Alacrity
    * While in combat, instant and channeled abilities apply a stack of Combat Alacrity when cast, Increasing your unmounted movement speed by 4% per stack. Max 3 stacks. Lasts 15s.
    * Reduces the cooldown of Fast Summon and Exhume by 50%.
    * Increase the number of allies Lava Field affects to 20 and makes Lava Field instant.

Coalesced Resolve
    * Reduces the duration of Crowd Control effects used on you by 10%.
    * When casting a combat resurrection, the revived ally has 100% of their health returned and receive 30% less damage for 5s. This affect ends if they use a combat ability.

Mental Cynosure
    * Increases your Mana Regeneration by 10%
    * Increases the amount of Charge your abilities generate by 10%.
    * Using a single target Cleanse to remove an effect from an ally applies an additional Cleanse to the same apply after 3 seconds.

Level 64
    Arcane Finesse
    * Primary Bolts increase the damage of your next 3 non-Primary Bolt abilities by 8%. Lasts 30s.

Methodical Destruction
    * Increases your damage done by 7%, but decreases your chance to critically hit by 4%.

Calculated Annihilation
    * Increases the damage of your cast time abilities by 8%, your channeled abilities by 5% and reduce the damage of your instant abilities by 5%
    * Increases the duration of Withering Vine by 100%.

Sparking Destruction
    * Damaging single target instant abilities apply a stack of Sparking Destruction to you. The stacks explode upon reaching 3 stacks, dealing Ethereal damage to the enemy equal to 90% of your Spell Power.
    * Increases the range of Blade Rush and Avalanche by 10m.

Level 65
    Ethereal Flux
    Instant - No Global Cooldown
    Cooldown: 10 seconds
    Curses the enemy, making them vulnerable to the Mage's Ethereal Blast, and causing cast time and channeled ability casts by the Mage to reduce the cooldown of Ethereal Blast by 3s. Can only affect 1 enemy. Lasts 60s.

Ethereal Blast
    Instant
    Cooldown: 30 seconds
    Deals 28000 to 30000 Ethereal damage. Requires the Ethereal Flux debuff on the enemy.

Phantom Stream
    3.0 Channel
    Cooldown: 1 minute
    Channels 80000 Ethereal damage over 3s to the enemy. Can move while channeling.

Phantom Stream
    3.0 Channel
    Restores health to the ally equal to 50% of the Mage's Maximum Health each second. Lasts 3s. Can move while channeling.

Essence Manipulation
    Causes the next 5 damaging abilities to deal an additional 4900 to 5400 Ethereal damage to the enemy.Lasts 30s.

Arcane Manipulation
    The Mage's next 5 damaging abilities deal an additional 4900 to 5400 Ethereal damage. Lasts 30s.

Mending Response
    Instant
    Causes the enemy's single target damaging abilities to heal the target for 30% of the damage done. Lasts 5s.

Mending Response
    Instant
    Causes damage taken to heal the ally for 30% of the damage taken. Lasts 5s.
    Last edited by Burninalways; 10-22-2014 at 02:38 AM.
    True Server First Prime GP: Anrak the Foul & Guurloth
    4/5 GSB
    4/4 GP
    4/4 DH

Changes:
    Calculated Annihilation - Secondary replaced
    Arcane Manipulation - Replaced
    Sparking Destruction - Modified
    Combat Alacrity - Secondary added
    Arcane Finesse - Replaced
    Polarity - Modified
    Arcanist's Shield - Modified
    Final Breath - Modified
    Sparking Destruction - Modified
    Arcane Finesse - Modified
    Ethereal Flux - Modified
    Combat Alacrity - Third added
    Calculated Annihilation - Modified
    Calculated Annihilation - Modified
    Last edited by Burninalways; 10-11-2014 at 10:39 AM.
    True Server First Prime GP: Anrak the Foul & Guurloth
    4/5 GSB
    4/4 GP
    4/4 DH

This is really annoying. Because of pyro, chloro lost the must needed cast time reduced mastery... Meanwhile, it is perfectly fine for clerics to keep that mastery.

I honestly hate those masteries. The only good one is the 60sec reduction on natural splendor and it's only useful on a handful of fights.
    Cheesecakesandwich - Mage 70 | Wrecking - Warrior 70
    Italiansausage - Cleric 70 | Snaplemouton - Rogue 67
    Primalsandwich - Primalist 70
    I'm a grand connoisseur of the most delicate dish known as the poutine.

I would say level 65 healing cooldowns are pretty neat, dps ones have some issues. I don't really like implementation of Polarity. Also it eats GCD -.-
    Lower level passives ain't that bad, but they ain't gamebreaking either. We could use some more masteries for other souls.
    Last edited by radiomaryja; 09-30-2014 at 10:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Burninalways View Post
    Level 61
    Arcanist's Shield
    * Critical hits with damaging and healing abilities apply an absorbing shield to you, absorbing damage up to 3% of your Maximum Health. Can occur up to once every 6s.
    * Transmogrify can affect up to 2 enemies at a time.

Bulwark of Souls
    * Increases your Block Mitigation and Guard from equipment by 5%.
    * Casting Vile Spores or Ruin will refresh your active Radiant Spores on the enemy.

Final Breath
    * Upon death, enemies you have damaged within the last 3s apply Soul Collector to you, healing for 4% of your Maximum Health over 5s. Can occur up to once every second.
    * When cleansed, your damage over time effects deal Ethereal damage to the enemy equal to 50% of your Spell Power.

Overflowing Vitality
    * While in combat, you heal 25% of your Endurance every 3s.
    The healing part feels somewhat underwhelming.
    - Arcanist's Shield - will provide a 100% total shielding in 200s. In the best scenario possible.
    - Final Breath - how many times it is going to heal you during an average warfront? 30-70 times? And even less if there are any compentent physicians out there. Ok, let it be ~ 50 in a 10min warfront. So it's 100% hp in 300s.
    - Overflowing Vitality - thats 100% hp for 120s of combat.

Also,.. was quite excited to try a 2-armor hybrid. At least there is Healing Expertise, which a warlock might find handy.

Prophet of Telara

Level 64
    Arcane Finesse
    * Instant and channeled damaging and healing abilities apply a stacking buff to you, increasing the damage of your next non-instant, non channeled, ability by 2% per stack. Max 3 stacks. Lasts 30s.
    This one seems to be pretty useless compared to:

Calculated Annihilation
    * Increases the damage of your non-instant and non-channeled abilities by 5%.
    * Casting Nature's Fury reduces the global cooldown from the next 3 casts of Withering Vine, within 8s, to 0.
    Let`s say I`m a pyro. Why would I choose a 6% dmg buff for 1 Fireball that needs to casted after 3 instant spells or channels if I can choose a perma 5% dmg buff for all Fireballs ? We don`t have that many instants/channels to do a filler x3 - Fireball rotation. And what about HW Fireball spam ?
    Live - Lokken - Mage - Unity Guild - Gelidra EU http://www.unityguild.net/
    Prime - Lokken - Rogue

I'm more worried about 3 off-GCD Withering Vines /8 seconds. I'm pretty sure all of them will proc instant LGV heal so spamming them will provide a nice amount of aoe healing just from LGV followed with triple HoT. Something like "NF spreads Withering Vine to all targets it hits" like Blazing Light mastery (+1 to target limit as well to avoid mistakes) would be more in line as it doesn't include LGV. Though it might be not as big AoE HPS increase as I think.

P.S And why would we need buffs to Chloro's AoE healing when we have been asking for survivability buffs for a much longer period of time?
    Last edited by VolsalexR; 09-30-2014 at 12:29 PM.

Soulwalker

Arcane Finesse:
    Its extremely sad that arcane finesse was changed. It finally raised the Pyro skill cap a bit because it made a real difference how you used your skills. It had turned from the simple whack a mole its a real spec. The old Arcane Finesse even did what was promised masterys would, change the way you play a soul. Bring it back, make it t5 if you have to and remove arcane manipulation (even if that breaks your concept of t5 active rest passive paradigmn).

Arcane Manipulation:
    ogcd damage, anything else i have to mention? oh it interrupts too and does even more dmg then. You can put it in every macro and forget you even have it and just play your old level 60 spec, since only one person can actually do the interrupt its a dps loss not to use it on cd and use your real interrupt instead. But even if you do not hit a single interrupt with it its still the best dps of the t5 spell thanks to being ogcd. And that is without mentioning the amount of casts that are interrupted passively since so many dps are running it, just for this reason pretty much every dps should be using it. This spell needs a massive overhaul. Make it t4, remove the dmg and cleanse. That would make it a dps loss to get an additional interrupt.

Polarity:
    One of the two effects should get a rename, at the moment its impossible to use Karuulalert to track the cooldown of the second effect since it still always show a 0 from its first effect.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxQuest View Post
    - Overflowing Vitality - thats 100% hp for 120s of combat.
    I don't think it does. As the tooltip says it heals 25% of your endurance, not your maximum HP. In my Pyro PvE set I have a bit over 2000 endurance, this would imply that I would heal for 500 every 3 secs... feels a bit meh. Though I suppose for Mage tanks this mastery would heal for a lot more obviously.

Edit: Nvm, I think that's what you already meant in the first place >.>
    Last edited by Belorian; 09-30-2014 at 03:48 PM.
    Last Dawn @ Zaviel
    Shifthappens - 50 Cleric || Omfgkittens - 60 Mage

Quote Originally Posted by VolsalexR View Post
    I'm more worried about 3 off-GCD Withering Vines /8 seconds. I'm pretty sure all of them will proc instant LGV heal
    They do and I've brought this up with Kervik. I think there's probably a change in the works for that one, which was itself a change necessitated by an engineering issue with a previous iteration. I definitely agree that it's bad the way it is. oGCD skills rarely improve gameplay.

Quote Originally Posted by VolsalexR View Post
    I'm more worried about 3 off-GCD Withering Vines /8 seconds. I'm pretty sure all of them will proc instant LGV heal so spamming them will provide a nice amount of aoe healing just from LGV followed with triple HoT. Something like "NF spreads Withering Vine to all targets it hits" like Blazing Light mastery (+1 to target limit as well to avoid mistakes) would be more in line as it doesn't include LGV. Though it might be not as big AoE HPS increase as I think.

P.S And why would we need buffs to Chloro's AoE healing when we have been asking for survivability buffs for a much longer period of time?
    The proposed suggestion was actually to allow NF to spread WV to 2 additional targets ( 3 total ), however there was a engineering issue preventing this to be a possibility. This was the solution which was created instead. I agree it is quite powerful, however I think it is a good alternative to the proposed suggestion of spreading WV w/ NF.

This is a less op solution than the original Bulwark mastery which refreshed WV w/ VS and ruin.

I think the suggestions in terms of survivability buffs are not things which should be mastery abilities, instead they should be changes to chloro in general. I would hate to waste a "valuable" mastery point on something which just should "be".
    Those that can, do. Those that can't, write guides on the forums.
    Quote Originally Posted by TrionBrasse View Post
    In all seriousness, we don't expect everyone to still be playing SFP

Ascendant

Thoughts:
    Our masteries really don't change how souls play, inquisitors gain a gcd, rangers get more shadow fires, we get...flat damage, and faster ramp up with warlock?

No archon or pet specific masteries? We do have the most pet souls, I'm surprised none slipped in there.

Mind you, the chloro stuff is very nice, but I was hoping to see items along those lines for many of our trees.

RIFT Guide Writer

Sine the Kervik's last changes to the masteries, the only one I even really like any more is Healing Expertise, from a design standpoint.

It changes the rotation for Warlock and Arbiter, makes the mage actually pause to look at what choices he has to make, and is actually a significant boost. The rest just kind of... flopped.

The initial interesting passives are now.. bleh again. No game-changing cast time reduction or armor buffs. No meaningful choices. Nothing, really.

Like, I just don't know. Some mix of the second mastery iteration and the 3rd would have been awesome. This one by itself just kind of leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
    Meciel - Mage - Defer Death - Greybriar
    12/12 T1, 14/15 T2, 1/9 T3

Was really looking to playing Ele with 2 armor buffs :\

Sword of Telara

masteries were looking very promising at start and most started similar to the cleric ones.

now all the good looking masteries were changed to useless redundant ones noone needs while clerics still kept the good ones.

honestly who needs arcane finesse now when you have calculated annihilation?
    who needs combat alacrity when you have eldritch swiftness?
    who needs final breath when you have overflowing vitality?
    who needs methodical destruction without having an insanily high crit spec like shaman?

the list goes on and on....

what i see is we mostly got some small damage buffs and a bit of qol. the only interesting masteries now are the lvl 65 ones.

but here i see another problem. giving everyone an interrupt which does good damage is quite a nerf to any pyro in pvp. not only will most of their channels and casts be interrupted, they will receive alot of damage too. its like having storm armor knockback melee and damage them for 20k at same time.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast