+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Xirxe

Thread: Interesting changes to Reaver(warrior) relevant to Warlocks...

Plane Touched

Default Interesting changes to Reaver(warrior) relevant to Warlocks...

From: http://forums.riftgame.com/game-disc...r-changes.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Vladd View Post
    Tier 9:
    • Shadow of Dread 1 point Ability 20m range 15s cooldown Applies all known Reaver non-finsher damage over time abilities to the target. Awards 1 Attack Point.
    Hmm...wonder if warlocks will get something like this for 3.0. As far as I can tell, the new reaver only has one DOT finisher, essentially making it similar to Warlocks applying every known DOT except for Death's Door if we had such a skill.

Would improve on the viability for warlocks IMO. Some of the other changes seem viable as possible improvements to the soul as well.

Reaver always had that abilitiy, it currently does on live also.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Godgrinder View Post
    Reaver always had that abilitiy, it currently does on live also.
    Its also being changed from a Tank to DPS soul, with its main damage source based upon DOTS like warlocks, on top of having similar dot-cleaving capabilities (the 70% drawback-free toggle will be changed of course).

Granted, they only have 3 non-finisher DOTs and 1 finisher DOT so they are more of a hybrid, but it still seems like a limited form of this (3-4 specific dots applied at once on a cooldown) would help as QoL changes for warlocks.

All known dots would be too much considering how many warlocks get (+ subsoul ones).

Champion

I believe cabalists have an ability like this as well. And inquisitors simply have fewer dots to manage that hit harder.

Sword of Telara

remember part of the fun of playing a mage is all the extra stuff you have to do.

charge gaining by aoeing or clicking skills 10 times, duelling with others or kind of doing the breakdance with mana rechargers for conductive medium. sometimes the prefight stuff takes longer than the actual fight.

now you expect getting a dot applier on cd? just because other classes have it? you cant be serious? qol is for the others, a true mage goes the extra mile! be happy that we not have 10 dots to apply, just 7.

Quote Originally Posted by Xirxe View Post
    remember part of the fun of playing a mage is all the extra stuff you have to do.

charge gaining by aoeing or clicking skills 10 times, duelling with others or kind of doing the breakdance with mana rechargers for conductive medium. sometimes the prefight stuff takes longer than the actual fight.

now you expect getting a dot applier on cd? just because other classes have it? you cant be serious? qol is for the others, a true mage goes the extra mile! be happy that we not have 10 dots to apply, just 7.
    This anyhow.

Plane Touched

Its more of a concern as it will actually inject SOME viability for warlocks in PVP, but hey, if the mage raiders enjoy the lack of QoL, whatever I guess.

So long as the new Pyro actually remains as a competitive PVP spec and that Stormbiter doesn't get nerfed to the ground.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Xallista View Post
    but hey, if the mage raiders enjoy the lack of QoL, whatever I guess.
    Bad suggestions don't sound less bad because you call them "QoL changes". Responding to criticism with "But hey, ..., whatever I guess." also does not help.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by SpectralDerp View Post
    Bad suggestions don't sound less bad because you call them "QoL changes". Responding to criticism with "But hey, ..., whatever I guess." also does not help.
    Out of the...3? dot-based souls in the game, warlock has the highest amount (7?) to apply. On top of that, each individual dot is weaker than the ones that Inqui, for example, gets. I suspect the new DPS reaver to be the same due to having a total of 4 DOT spells.

So, on top of having less DOTs to manage, the DOTs themselves are stronger, AND for reavers they get to apply 3/4 of theirs in one cast on a 15s CD (not counting possible sub-soul DOTs).

But apparently asking for a similar ability for warlocks (say, 15s CD that applies Dark Touch, Atrophy and Necrosis) that allows for better initiation/target switching is considered a bad suggestion because "the fun of playing a mage is all the extra stuff you have to do".

Yet somehow "whatever I guess" as a means to end my attempt to discuss this obviously rejected suggestion is worse than that reasoning given, really? So why did some raiders complain about the Live Pyro for all the "extra stuff you have to do" then, like juggling with Aegis procs instead of simply asking for damage buffs to bring it up to par with other ST DPS raid specs?
    Last edited by Xallista; 07-20-2014 at 10:42 PM.

Out of the...3? dot-based souls in the game, warlock has the highest amount (7?) to apply.
    BM has 8!

Sword of Telara

out of qol reasons you could do the following:

- auto-salvage dots when mobs die or go immun
    - salvage last 1 min instead of 30s
    - applying all dots every 30s
    - only 1 charge consumer instead of 3
    - full charge out of combat, no charge loss after combat rez
    etc.

sure i wanted some of these things as well. question is, how far do you go? there is a thin line between a still interesting and a boring spec and too much qol could make it a boring spec.

from all the things listed the last one would be true qol without changing the spec at all.

Champion

well played sir. But i'm going to stupidly and optimistically interpret your post as sarcasm.

on the other hand if I could jump off a bridge to go dance with a balrog I guess that would make me pretty happy.

out of qol reasons you could do the following:

- auto-salvage dots when mobs die or go immun
    - salvage last 1 min instead of 30s
    - applying all dots every 30s
    - only 1 charge consumer instead of 3
    - full charge out of combat, no charge loss after combat rez
    etc.

sure i wanted some of these things as well. question is, how far do you go? there is a thin line between a still interesting and a boring spec and too much qol could make it a boring spec.

from all the things listed the last one would be true qol without changing the spec at all.
    Perhaps I'm asking for too much. I'll admit that. But the fact is that there is no thin line at the moment as we don't have any of the things you mentioned above. The thin line would start to exist if we were given some of those and then the discussion could be well where does it stop? But right now we have zip.

Although admittedly, lock has come a long way being that we used to not even have abilities like persist, salvage corruption and void barrage. I guess this should make me happy that we are the class known for using dots and yet the other dot classes typically look ridiculously easy in comparison?

since none of this is likely to amount to anything, could we at least get a special emote spell that yells out "thank you sir may I have another?!" whenever our dots fall off because our salvage was mistimed ?

Sword of Telara

to be honest i am not sure if i would still play rift without the mage calling.

mages usually have the most challenging and interesting specs to play. you need to master them to be good. sure this is kind of a disadvantage compared to other callings who often have it alot easier to get good dps out of their specs.

can you loose your dots on fights like kyzan? sure, when you are new to the spec you can loose them easily. but isnt that part of the challenge? would i like to play tempest on those fights because it would make them easier? no! for the simple reason, it wouldnt be fun.

every time i play my alts they are fun for a day but then they just bore me. fixed rotations are for robots.

what i really dont like when it comes to mage qol is all the stuff prefight. charge gaining, duelling and stuff like that is just stupid work and has nothing to do with a challenging fight. its more than obvious that mages need a charge gain out of combat instead of clicking skills 10 times!

Champion of Telara

to be honest i am not sure if i would still play rift without the mage calling.

mages usually have the most challenging and interesting specs to play. you need to master them to be good. sure this is kind of a disadvantage compared to other callings who often have it alot easier to get good dps out of their specs.

can you loose your dots on fights like kyzan? sure, when you are new to the spec you can loose them easily. but isnt that part of the challenge? would i like to play tempest on those fights because it would make them easier? no! for the simple reason, it wouldnt be fun.

every time i play my alts they are fun for a day but then they just bore me. fixed rotations are for robots.

what i really dont like when it comes to mage qol is all the stuff prefight. charge gaining, duelling and stuff like that is just stupid work and has nothing to do with a challenging fight. its more than obvious that mages need a charge gain out of combat instead of clicking skills 10 times!
    Personally I'd be happy if they'd add some nicely complex souls to warrior, rogue and cleric and give mages at least a single soul that takes 8-10 hot keys to use and still be competitive.

Out of the...3? dot-based souls in the game, warlock has the highest amount (7?) to apply. On top of that, each individual dot is weaker than the ones that Inqui, for example, gets. I suspect the new DPS reaver to be the same due to having a total of 4 DOT spells.
    So, you're saying that you would rather lose 2 GCDs every 15 seconds to refresh Scourge and Vex, and having to deal with reapplying Dark Water before it falls off (that's another GCD) than like, say, hit an ability that does big damage and refresh your many dots that are actually hitting harder thanks to the numbers you have ?

Fun fact : It is easier to swap target on Warlock than on Inquisitor thanks to salvage corruption/deathly pall and Radiate death.

Oh, and the spec as a whole has way higher cleaving capability and higher sustained DPS.

So, care to tell me again why are you complaining about having a stronger spec ?

Edit : Nevermind, you're talking about PVP. I have no clue about how warlocks fair in PVP to be honest, and what I wrote above is purely from a PVE point of view.
    Last edited by fufi; 07-22-2014 at 04:30 PM.
    <Apotheosys>@Typhiria
    World First 5-man Easy Mode 1/4 GP

+ Reply to Thread