+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: PvP as a Mage nowadays is just godawful...

Default PvP as a Mage nowadays is just godawful...

Greetings.

I can't speak for everyone, but being a Mage in pvp atm is just terrible.. We don't dish out the same dps as other classes, and we go down so fast its laughable.
    Warriors, Rogues and even Clerics will always target Mages, as we fall very fast.

Now, im talking about "end game" pvp, as a p90 myrm character. Not leveling or p1 pvp.

I have been playing this Mage since release on a casual basis. 82 days played. 177960 lifetime kills. 12718794 lifetime favor. So im not a noob, but im also far from a "pro"..

When facing fresh 60's and freelancer, of course the favor are on my side, as Medusas videos show. But im not talking about Medusa vs **** geard people with 20k hp and freelancer gear who are clickers and use arrow keys to move about. Im talking "end game Pvp" where gear are equal, and most people are at least somewhat skilled.

I have a Warrior 60 p30 ish, with "ok" pvp gear, and find the 2-3 button macros in most specs so easy to kill people its just hilarious.. I also find my self tabbing for a Mage, because i know that they fall so fast its almost a free kill.

Healing in war fronts as Chloromancer .. sigh ..I don't have anything NEAR the survivalibility as a Cleric - And now also Warriors and Rogues. Which btw can stay alive around 3-5 dps. Mage chloro ? Lol ... even tanks can make me skiddish..

I apologies for being negative, and I do realize that game is NOT balanced around 1v1, but I find Mages to be the class that dies the fastest, and gives the least to a team in pvp atm. By far. Mostly because dead player don't contribute..

Anyone else feel this way ?

Now, feel free to post your 1time best dps leaderboards and tell me its fine. I have alot of thoose aswell. Everyone can top charters if aoe speced and on a team with good players so you dont die. I just mean that we dont "make a difference" as other classes and certain specs..
    Last edited by KalToreth; 05-30-2014 at 11:57 AM.
    Everybody remember where we parked.
    -James Kirk, Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home, after landing the cloaked Klingon bird of prey in Golden Gate park

..and yes, I drive an electric car yo.

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by KalToreth View Post
    Greetings.

I can't speak for everyone, but being a Mage in pvp atm is just terrible.. We don't dish out the same dps as other classes, and we go down so fast its laughable.
    Warriors, Rogues and even Clerics will always target Mages, as we fall very fast.

Now, im talking about "end game" pvp, as a p90 myrm character. Not leveling or p1 pvp.

I have been playing this Mage since release on a casual basis. 82 days played. 177960 lifetime kills. 12718794 lifetime favor. So im not a noob, but im also far from a "pro"..

When facing fresh 60's and freelancer, of course the favor are on my side, as Medusas videos show. But im not talking about Medusa vs **** geard people with 20k hp and freelancer gear who are clickers and use arrow keys to move about. Im talking "end game Pvp" where gear are equal, and most people are at least somewhat skilled.

I have a Warrior 60 p30 ish, with "ok" pvp gear, and find the 2-3 button macros in most specs so easy to kill people its just hilarious.. I also find my self tabbing for a Mage, because i know that they fall so fast its almost a free kill.

Healing in war fronts as Chloromancer .. sigh ..I don't have anything NEAR the survivalibility as a Cleric - And now also Warriors and Rogues. Which btw can stay alive around 3-5 dps. Mage chloro ? Lol ... even tanks can make me skiddish..

I apologies for being negative, and I do realize that game is NOT balanced around 1v1, but I find Mages to be the class that dies the fastest, and gives the least to a team in pvp atm. By far. Mostly because dead player don't contribute..

Anyone else feel this way ?

Now, feel free to post your 1time best dps leaderboards and tell me its fine. I have alot of thoose aswell. Everyone can top charters if aoe speced and on a team with good players so you dont die. I just mean that we dont "make a difference" as other classes and certain specs..
    Ok you are right . But this is my question , Do you really think our dev care about this? NO. This problem is not new , we are having this problem for years so its not new. I advice you to play your easy class rogue/warrior or clerics and farm mages for now. When trion fix this mess then play your mage again.

Quote Originally Posted by elfaraon View Post
    Ok you are right . But this is my question , Do you really think our dev care about this? NO. This problem is not new , we are having this problem for years so its not new. I advice you to play your easy class rogue/warrior or clerics and farm mages for now. When trion fix this mess then play your mage again.
    Sadly, you're kinda right.. It's just that I have invested so much time in my character. But to be honest, i'm tempted with just gooing with the FOTM class that most Trion employees play ..
    -James Kirk, Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home, after landing the cloaked Klingon bird of prey in Golden Gate park

Best friends forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Sedvick View Post
    Best friends forever.
    Dude - Why just make a comment to increase your comment number, instead of actually contributing ?

Go away unless you have something useful to say. Something tells me that out of your 1300 posts, 1200 are completely useless..
    Last edited by KalToreth; 05-30-2014 at 12:37 PM.

Rift Master

My only level capped character is my cleric, and as a fresh 60, only pve geared on her, maybe rank 25 or so. I kill more mages than I do anything else on that character.

My mage is 45. I was intending my mage to be my main, but clerics more fun for pve and pvp. Anyway, this is anecdotal but my last 2 days experience:
    Logged 7 warfronts on my 45 rogue: died twice over all 7, won all of them
    Immediately following, logged 7 warfronts on my mage: died about a dozen times per warfront, no healers present for 3 of them, I switched to chloro for those 3 and got bent over immediately

Today's experience was about the same. Won 6/7 on my rogue, had no healers for 2 of them. My rogue only goes bard/tact in pvp and I don't own physician. Bard/tact is capable of keeping a couple people up if they play smart and the other team has the 'average players' warfront dps. (Keep in mind, not endgame!) Lost 7/7 on my mage, had 2-3 healers.

Spec barely seems to matter.
    Chloro dies too easily due to no defensive cds, not even a 2nd breakfree of its own. Might be worth it to reconfigure 11 into pyro for flicker, unsure.

Dom is good IF there is a healer/support nearby keeping you up. Not easy to get in range of the backlines of the other team to harass the healers, and make it back to your own before death.

Harb with 8 chloro seems to do best for me. My biggest bane: warriors. They like pulling me into a cluster of people. If they do and I'm on harb, dot up 3 with withering vines, hit one with radiant spores, switch to luminous (aoe weapon buff), and use blademark and.. whatever that one aoe is called. Planar shield as needed, 2nd break free/teleport, far better defenses.

I have a pyro build as well that's great at burning things down (single target, its still pretty weak on aoe). But healer reliant, and I keep finding warfronts that are light on heals or don't have any.

Overall, if the other mage callings had some of the same defensive options as harb, I don't know that I'd be happy, but it would be better. Compared to how it is now, likely substantially better.

Ascendant

Mages deal no dmg? K, I guess doing ~30k dmg over 2sec is not enough.

http://forums.riftgame.com/game-disc...-nuketown.html
    PvP in RIFT is good only @forum.

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysHealNeverDie View Post

IS THIS A JOKE ? 30k damage in 2s LOL let me laugh please and with SC wow dude you are a graduated troll. Those guys were a fail they couldn't interrupt any spell for all wf and that guy were casting spell that last 2 s lol good try
    Last edited by elfaraon; 05-30-2014 at 02:32 PM.

Rift Master

Without reading the thread (but I did watch most of the video), that looks like a premade rolling a pug. When I'm on my mage, on a calling with cast times, there's no way that I can get off that many 2+ sec casts without being interrupted, debilitated, etc.

Pretty much right. The only thing that keeps Mages afloat is that a vast majority of people are truly awful. Chloro is the worst healer solely because of its lack of personal survivability. Pyrochon is very good, probably the best ranged spec, but it's not as good as melee DPS from other callings and you can only have 1 on a team. 61 Pyro is a 2-min CD hero that gets screwed by crit RNG. Dominator is very powerful, but largely worthless unless your team already has competent DPS.

You are aware he's using a spec with no pushback reduction and 2s cast times (notice how nobody is interrupting those casts?), which requires you to stack 6 debuffs which are all cleansable, and that the "30k damage over 2 seconds" requires a purgeable 2 minute cooldown, right?

k just making sure we're on the same page.
    Last edited by Ianto Jones; 05-30-2014 at 02:55 PM.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto Jones View Post
    Pretty much right. The only thing that keeps Mages afloat is that a vast majority of people are truly awful. Chloro is the worst healer solely because of its lack of personal survivability. Pyrochon is very good, probably the best ranged spec, but it's not as good as melee DPS from other callings and you can only have 1 on a team. 61 Pyro is a 2-min CD hero that gets screwed by crit RNG. Dominator is very powerful, but largely worthless unless your team already has competent DPS.

You are aware he's using a spec with no pushback reduction and 2s cast times (notice how nobody is interrupting those casts?), which requires you to stack 6 debuffs which are all cleansable, and that the "30k damage over 2 seconds" requires a purgeable 2 minute cooldown, right?

k just making sure we're on the same page.
    Still it have burst potential and the day Kervik makes ranged do similar dps to melee will be the day of endless rage and forum QQ.

The only way to balance this game is to create 1 calling with various soul so everybody can pick <insert random OP spec> and if nerfs happen it will affect everybody in the same way.

Shield of Telara

Still it have burst potential and the day Kervik makes ranged do similar dps to melee will be the day of endless rage and forum QQ.

The only way to balance this game is to create 1 calling with various soul so everybody can pick <insert random OP spec> and if nerfs happen it will affect everybody in the same way.
    keep dreaming that wont happen with kervik as a mage dev, with vladd possible

If you can't see how easily that spec can be countered and how important perfect conditions are for this.. then just... wow.
    Last Dawn @ Zaviel
    Shifthappens - 50 Cleric || Omfgkittens - 60 Mage

Yeah not really (also you say that as if there's not already endless rage and forum QQ). In 1.6/7, 51 Pyro had the highest burst potential of any class. Nobody really complained and that time is generally accepted as the most balanced PvP the game has ever had. Why so? Because Pyros died if a melee so much as glanced in their direction, they relied on 2s cast times, and if they kited their damage was pitiful. There are more ways than ever to shut down a Pyro, with so many ranged interrupts, purges, debilitates, snares, pulls, 30m charges, etc. There is no reason turrets shouldn't have near-top damage output.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Belorian View Post
    If you can't see how easily that spec can be countered and how important perfect conditions are for this.. then just... wow.
    This is like saying "Sin is useless because you can purge his buffs over and over again. If he waste time to rebuff them then hes not dpsing hence useless"

Lot's of specs have counters there's just not enough players who bother to do it as they find playing pure offensive role more enjoyable.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast