+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: harb

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Xirxe View Post
    when melee should do per se more dps than range, why mages have 6 range souls?
    and they are not even best at range on pure st fights.
    imagine playing a cleric and just 1 healing soul would be more or less useful. the forum would need to close due to incoming q
    why are all melee specs not doing similar dps?
    harb does less just because of phantom blades and blademark?
    according to that logic, why can shaman have great st and huge aoe dps at same time?
    harb is worst at target switching, does bad st and aoe outside burst and 0 damage when phantom blade is on cd.

i rather prefer 50% dps on disconnects all the time instead of phantom blade, blademark removed for increased aoe (like shaman) and then the dps of other melee specs.
    Aaaa+++++++

I just felt since this game seems to penalize ranged dps I wanted harb to have a bigger output. I hate playing melee, but some fights it's a must

Please don't buff harb, buff pyro instead. I want to watch big balls of fire spit of my hands and be viable.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntled View Post
    I did not roll a mage to melee
    I do not want all our ranged dps souls to be useless
    I do not want to have to play a melee spec to be the best mage dps I can be
    I am going to print this out and frame it on my wall, it's like a poem that speaks to me on an emotional level

RIFT Guide Writer

Quote Originally Posted by kenx2020 View Post
    What's the war spec that most people use with 2-3 buttons lol?
    Paragon 51.
    Meciel - Mage - Defer Death - Greybriar
    12/12 T1, 14/15 T2, 1/9 T3

Quote Originally Posted by Katosu View Post
    What is PTS?
    100% Death Door uptime and auto consuming NG is just as unrepresentative as 0 uptime. I didn't think I even needed to specify.

Back to topic. I'll make a few suggestion to fix Harb (Most of it has been said before)

1. EA > 1min CD with 15 to 20 sec duration.
    2. Rending slash debuff converted into a self buff.
    3. Piercing beam refresh Blazing light to allow a refresh when you can't aoe (salvarola), can't reach the boss (p2 volan) or the target is immune to aoe (abominus).
    4. Buff pyromancer and change the bottom of the tree to make it better then chloromancer by giving a spellpower or intel % node in the first 5 point. This would also help the ftp player with no access to Harbinger that want a good sub soul for their build.
    5. Buff rending slash

Other suggestions that I've seen and liked
    6. Lucent slash spread blazing light
    7. Tempest wind buffed during EA (dat animation)
    8. The invisibility thing (mobile > forgot the name) remove dots when used (pvp buff)

My 2c.

My bunch of suggestions for Harb (several of them are stolen though):
    -Essense of Wind: changed to 30% dodge and 15-20% damage reduction buff (from 40% dodge)
    Reason: Icy Vortex is being taken off, and while we will get tank subsoul, Harb will still be too squishy for a melee soul 75% of time (and it isn't much tougher even in EA). (inb4 angry Shamans/Riftblades inc, buff them too )
    People will still be able to get 50% dodge with passive and BL, so the skill won't lose its defensive role in PVE.
    -Empyrean Ascension can no longer be purged.
    Reason: While other classes suffer from purges too, at least they can almost immediately reapply their mandatory buffs. Harb is left in dirt for ~2 minutes with any MM/Inq around, so something needs to be done about it.
    -Tempest Winds changed to a skill similar to Vortex - does big instant damage and reduces CD of Storm's Fury to 0 for 5 seconds.
    Reasons: 1) Being a melee range channel, it will be interrupted with any minor disconnect. While it is affected by Phantom Blades, their CDs don't synergize very well.
    2)It needs to get the full channel just to become a real "burst", and sometimes you can't afford channeling it for its full duration.
    3) Imho, Harb needs more reliable & controlled burst that won't be dropped with a single stun.
    Last edited by VolsalexR; 03-27-2014 at 02:32 PM.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Allmightyone View Post
    2. Rending slash debuff converted into a self buff.
    This would make it weaker.
    Debuffing a target for 9% more damage taken is greater than increasing your own damage by 9%.
    I think.

Cool story bro. No one cares.
    If you want to do the whole "I didn't roll X to do Y", then roll a Warrior and go with their whole "I didn't roll my class to use ranged."
    Had you actually been playing Rift in the early days, you would know Mages were amazing turrets and did, due to their complex rotations, the most ST damage at ranged. This is what people like me rolled a mage for, yet for some reason Trion totally abandoned its total purpose and instead forced Mages to go melee to remain competetive. So yes, a lot of mages actually care, I highly doubt you even know what a defilemancer was.

Stop being bad.
    Last Dawn @ Zaviel
    Shifthappens - 50 Cleric || Omfgkittens - 60 Mage

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Belorian View Post
    snip

1. I played since beta.
    2. Mage's were given a melee spec so they could compete in terms of DPS when SL was released. For Storm legion, they wished for melee to be 5% higher than Ranged. If Mage's were to compete without community backlash, the melee spec was necessary, and it was welcomed.

3. All ranged specs have basically received mobility improvements. They are far from turret days of Pyro/ele where all you hit was 1, 2 and 7.

4. Defilemancer was 28/38. Highest parse I ever saw was 5.4k by a Mage. Made my Roguey bits sad.

5.Sit down and shut up scrub.

Shield of Telara

...and it was welcomed.
    I'm not entirely sure if you're being serious or not. I hope for your sake that you're just trolling mindlessly.

Mages pretty much revolted when we found out melee harbinger was going to be the future of mage raiding. While Trion keeps heading in the direction of 'all classes can perform all roles', this was not their original layout, nor was the mentality that melee should universally be better dps than ranged forever and ever amen. Originally, yes there was some variety, and several classes could tank, dps, or heal somewhat efficiently, however the classes were definitely distinct in their roles and not everyone could perform every function. The mage community chose to play mages because of their playstyle preferences. Nobody at the start of rift thought to themselves, "man, i really like to melee, and I also like tanking, therefore I am going to roll a mage". The same can be said about warriors with ranged, or rogues with healing. While I'm not against giving people that option, the fact remains that we chose our calling for specific reasons, and to make these 'additional' souls superior and thus forcing people to play roles outside of what they originally wanted flat out sucks. I would wager the vast majority of the mage community hates harbinger, and only plays it because it performs well and if given the option would much rather play one of our original souls.

LIkewise I'm guessing most rogues chose to play the rogue class because they enjoy the stealthy assassin / thief style of play, or maybe have a desire to be Legolas the ranger. But now imagine if after several years both of those styles were obsolete and pretty much sucked and the only good soul was physician and you were forced to heal. Would you still enjoy the class? Would you still enjoy the game? Or would you find a new game that better fit your playstyle.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by vexare View Post
    I'm not entirely sure if you're being serious or not. I hope for your sake that you're just trolling mindlessly.
    Not sure if you realize the ignorance of your statement.

1. Trolling involves saying something with the hope of invoking a negative emotional response. So for example, your post right here is a pretty blatant attempt to do such a thing. That is what trolling means.

2. Having a different opinion is not trolling. It is something that results from diversity and differing interpretations. This is a good thing, because people who unite under a single idea without much reasoning behind it are scary.
    MOving on

Oh and spoiler tag
    Spoiler!
    Last edited by Katosu; 03-28-2014 at 12:15 AM.

I think some people lost their sight of the objective here. It really doesn't matter what things used to be or what things were intended to be because those are clearly different then the current state of the game. The only thing we should be arguing about is what the best solution is and what is the best way to get some attention from Kervik.

BTW, it's not like you can't compete in raids. Chloromancer is still the best healing spec. Archon is still superior to Beastmaster. DPS wise you can still top the meter on half the fights (and all the most important). That said mages do have the weakest single target DPS of all the callings and this is why Harbinger or turret style Pyromancer need a major buff. I believe 2.7 will fix our survivability issue in PvP so there's always that going the right direction.

This would make it weaker.
    Debuffing a target for 9% more damage taken is greater than increasing your own damage by 9%.
    I think.
    You are correct because the current 9% multiply instead of adding to all the other slashing dmgs increase buffs. I didn't give any value though so it would be an easy to just make it a self 12-15% buff instead of a 9% debuff on your target. Regardless, the idea is to remove (or lower) the dps loss on target swaps. It would also buff Harb's aoe that's currently pretty weak without buffing Harbchon's aoe that's pretty strong.

Rift Chaser

You are correct because the current 9% multiply instead of adding to all the other slashing dmgs increase buffs. I didn't give any value though so it would be an easy to just make it a self 12-15% buff instead of a 9% debuff on your target. Regardless, the idea is to remove (or lower) the dps loss on target swaps. It would also buff Harb's aoe that's currently pretty weak without buffing Harbchon's aoe that's pretty strong.
    When Kervik changes archon, we will most likely lose harbchon

Rift Chaser

3. Piercing beam refresh Blazing light to allow a refresh when you can't aoe (salvarola), can't reach the boss (p2 volan) or the target is immune to aoe (abominus).
    Better suggestion imho would be letting blazing light refresh off of primary bolt, that would be ideal in all situtations since most of mage dots are centered on primary bolts

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast