+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What is this "super awesome/best pvp-dueling spec" ChloroDom and how does one use it?

Plane Touched

Default What is this "super awesome/best pvp-dueling spec" ChloroDom and how does one use it?

Whenever I see a "mages suck at PVP" thread, I'll see multiple replies on how mages are the best/don't suck in pvp and how "chlorodom" would win any other equally geared builds in a 1v1 situation (dealing with a back-capper like stealth rogues @karthan ridge for example).

The only thing I can find on chlorodom dates back to 1-2 years ago, and a lot of the builds linked there are broken (probably due to changes to the soul trees). So, what is the build like with the current soul trees and how does one manage it (rotation, key skills etc)?

For CC-locking, I understand that you would be able to keep track of CC immunity from Break Free and soul-specific immunities like Loyal Minion via Kalert, but I see people throw around the term "dr" when talking about CC. Is that a different/invisible CC immunity timer for CC in general? Can this be tracked with Kalert?

I'm seriously trying to find motivation to pvp on my mage, and this build sounds interesting enough.

Although I can't exactly point you to a guide or show you the optimal Chlorodom spec (because I never really played it) - but a major component to Chlorodom's success is using that 5-seconds of super-fast-cast-time after you've cast Transmogrify to spam Natural Healing on yourself, whilst your enemy is literally unable to do anything about it, so you can freely heal yourself for like what... 2000 to 2500 per 1sec GCD, give or take a few hundred, without any disruptions.

Or at least that's how I played it.
    Last edited by Extrasens0ry; 02-25-2014 at 09:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xallista View Post
    For CC-locking, I understand that you would be able to keep track of CC immunity from Break Free and soul-specific immunities like Loyal Minion via Kalert, but I see people throw around the term "dr" when talking about CC. Is that a different/invisible CC immunity timer for CC in general? Can this be tracked with Kalert?
    DR = Diminishing Returns. Basically, when you cast a CC on somebody, they are immune to any further CC abilities for the length of time they were last CC'd for upon exiting the CC.
    For example, if you cast Transmogrify on somebody and it lasts 8 seconds - upon breaking out, they are immune to any further CC for the next 8 seconds.
    Interrupts (not silences) and Knockbacks are not affected by the DR system, so you can knockback somebody 5 times (12 times if they're up against a wall) in a few seconds with a Dom/SC hybrid. It's quite funny.

I think it would be possible to create a K-alert. You would have to track debuffs on the enemy, then have a timer count down equal to the amount of time that debuff was on the target, when the debuff drops.

I'm just going from the info at the top of my head.

Plane Touched

@Extrasens0ry
    I see, thanks for the information. Yea, looks like it will be impossible to track DR with Kalert, since there is a lack of a timer function after a buff expires.

Well, build-wise I've come up with:
    http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#F...y/dG6Ollk0yw/G

So...lets say you face a rogue (assassin) who is stealth camping at your home flag point @karthan ridge.

He stuns you from stealth (paralyzing strike) and proceeds to hit you with a final blow > backstab. Assuming equal geared (stacking endurance) and he crits on both backstab and paralyzing, you should probably get down to 60-70% health remaining. A crit from final blow would probably land you down even lower as well (50%?).

You transmog, he uses break free, you spend 2 GCD bloom and resurgence on yourself, another 3 GCDs on traitorous influence > transference > mana wrench to drain his energy while he does thread of death > assassinate > savage strike > final blow. You follow up with death's edict -> transmog -> mass exhaustion -> transmog -> death's edict?

This is, of course, assuming he doesn't throw in blinding powder/poison gas during his break free immunity, since it would disrupt his dps/burst. This also assumes he does not impales first rather than final blow, in which case you would want to use nature's cleaning on yourself.

...I'm guessing its something like that for 1v1 situations? I'd imagine instant death if it were a case of duo dps or just 1 healer + 1 warrior/rogue, since priest's lament vs a healer would involve DR as well as it only being a 60% proc chance, and AP is still going to be doing nothing if they both break free at the same time and you only get to drain one of them.

sometimes i think i'm the only mage in the world that knows DR timers are tracked on nameplates above players' heads. it even differentiates between the two classes of CC ability: control effects (like Transmog) and movement-impairment effects (roots/snares)! the icons flash on their bars as the CC immunity is about to wear off.
    Last edited by Ianto Jones; 02-26-2014 at 12:45 AM.

Plane Touched

@Ianto Jones

I see those icons a lot but I had always thought it meant that the target was under the effects of a CC rather than it being the immunity timer. Good to know.

Tried out the build a few times, its pretty trollish for sure. Better than trying to dps down people on my pyro/pyrochon considering my damage (full freelancer) vs their 25-30k+ hp.

+ Reply to Thread