+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree11Likes
  • 7 Post By lol r u mad
  • 2 Post By Tookmyjob
  • 1 Post By skatojustice
  • 1 Post By Extrasens0ry

Thread: Bringing back some of the Archmage soul abilities: Final step for Mage balance (PvP)

Default Bringing back some of the Archmage soul abilities: Final step for Mage balance (PvP)

Mages are the most well balanced class in Rift, but I still feel the calling overall is missing a few key things that is keeping it from being "complete".

What I want to propose as changes, would be to "sprinkle" some of the old Archmage PvP soul abilities into the trees, to give them some added utility that I believe they desperately need. I feel like certain souls might not even need major changes if these helpful abilities were returned and spread across some of the souls. This will be an overview of the abilities I believe should be returned, in some form, and to which souls they would go to

Here's a look at the old Archmage abilities, that were removed in 1.7

http://telarapedia.gamepedia.com/Archmage_abilities

Here are some key ones that I feel would be most beneficial:

Nenvin's Lament - Fills the Mage with power, giving their next damaging spell a 100% chance to crit.

Best candidate for this ability: Pyromancer

Pyromancer is one of the most complete souls in the game. It's good for everything, excels at killing, plays fluid, has tools to handle almost any situation. It's lacking slightly on sustained damage, but makes up for it with very high burst. The problem (and this is a good problem to have) is that it can be very RNG dependent, and crit reliant. It's currently slightly outclassed by Marksman, and Inquisitor, which speaks to how good those souls really are, but it is still more than able to compete with them. However, I believe when all 3 are played at the current skill cap, Pyro will lose everytime, and can be easilly replaced by MM and Inq, whereas they cannot be replaced equally by a Pyro.

I believe giving Pyro a "force crit" ability back would go a long way in removing some of the RNG, and raising the skill cap of the soul overall. Putting nenvin's on a 1m cooldown would keep it balanced as well, because it could only be used on one heavy hitting spell, like a Fusillade, or Fulminate, which you desperately need to crit to be worth a cast. Keep it off GCD, but I believe the functionality should be changed slightly as I think being able to reset it with HW might be a bit over the top. I think it should be an activated, off GCD ability that should have a charge cost, so it couldn't be used in rapid succession with HW resets, and would force you to make the decision of either blowing all your charge for a guaranteed crit, or saving some for other spells. This, IMO would be an ideal charge dump to replace the perpetually useless Withering Flames.

So, proposed change, Replace Withering Flames with Nenvin's Lament, with -30 charge cost, 1m cooldown.

Nyx's Manipulation - Curses the enemy, doubling the mana cost of their spells and reducing the mana cost of the Mage's spells by 50% for 15 seconds.

Best Candidate - Dominator, Warlock

This ability, IMO would be a perfect replacement for the completely useless Nyx's Orb. It fits perfectly with what Dominator is, synergizes well with Transference, and Traitorous Influence, and makes alot of sense as a death damage dot/debuff. I actually think this ability would work well as a charge consumer, similar to Defile in Warlock. it would be an interesting trade off, to choose whether to use this ability, or an Arresting Presence, and often times, when playing Dom, there is nothing to drop your charge into when people are on DR from being previously CC'd.

The other suggestion I have for this, would be adding this on as an extra side effect to Atrophy, in Warlock. Would add a completely different dynamic to the soul, the only problem is I feel that Warlock has alot more problems with the mechanics of the soul itself, so it wouldn't fit in as well as it would with Dom.

Proposed change: Replace Nyx's Orb with Nyx's Manipulation

Collateral Damage - Your single target damage spells have a (5/10/15/20/25)% chance to apply 50% of the damage to all enemies within 5 meters.

Withered Veins - Your single target non-instant damage spells add Withered Veins to players, reducing healing received by (1/2/3/4/5)%. Stacks up to 5 times. Last for 10 seconds

Lethargy - Channels dark energy for 5 seconds, applies a 15% snare per tick (*note- this ability did exist, but I couldn't find the original text)

Best candidate for all of these: Elementalist

Elementalist is really lacking in alot of things for pvp. Functional CC, interesting mechanics, utility, etc. It really needs alot of help, as all it is right now is a 1 button, macro "burst" spec with pretty pathetic burst. It's utility pales in comparison to Pyro, Harb, all Rogue souls, etc.

Since all of Ele's abilities are single target, IMO these would be the perfect things to add onto them, to provide it some much needed utility, and just different, fun mechanics, rather than hitting 1 button. WV makes sense, and obviously it would have to be toned down to 10% total healing, probably after 5 attacks hit successfully (2% per single target attack, max 5 stacks @ 10%). Collateral Damage would be really fun to use with Ele as well, and I think, overall fits with the theme of the soul. Ele is also lacking any type of AOE ability, and this would be perfect for it.

Lethargy I believe needs a functional change. I believe it should be tacked onto one of the Elementalist channels. maybe Volcanic Eruption, as it doesn't get much use. Seems like a no brainer to me, as Ele needs all of the CC and utility it can get.

Proposed changes - Add Lethargy to channels in place of Stone Armor. Collateral Damage, and Withered Veins as high point, root talents.

Mana Shield - Shields the Mage, causing any damage dealt to them to be reduced by 50% and dealt to their mana pool instead, for up to 12 seconds. Requires

Silent Restoration - When you are stunned or silenced by a player (5/10)% of your mana is restored.

Best Candidate - Necromancer

The perfect replacement for Loyal Minion. Why does Necro get punished for having a second break free? It's the only class I can think of that has that mechanic. This would fit right in with Necro, and synergizes very well with the Consumption/Purge mechanic of you regaining mana, then using it as a defensive cooldown. Necro is also very easily CC'd, and doesn't have any defensive abilities besides passives.

The other problem Necro suffers from alot, is how quickly you get burned down when you give a teammate your 30% link. A shield, letting you sacrifice some of your mana would go a long way in alleviating this problem, as even using the 30% link right now is almost a death sentence in most games if you don't have great heals. This would actually make the pet Life-Sac mana return mechanic make more sense as well, instead of just outright killing your pet with Loyal Minion.

Silent Restoration is just another neat mechanic that can be used to fuel your mana shields, and helps with necro's huge weakness to CC. I think it should be capped at 5% though, and shouldn't be relied on.

Proposed change - Replace Loyal Minion with Mana Shield, Mana shield also functions as a Break Free. Add Silent Restoration as a high root, passive, or add it on to Bone Armor

Immovable Object - Shields the Mage, reflecting all control and movement impairing abilities for up to 10 seconds. Consumes Charge while active. Requires

Best Candidate - Warlock

The perfect compliment to Warlock's Mortality channeling problem. Mortality has always been useless because it paints a gigantic CC target on the mage, and prevents the class from using, what would be It's best defensive cooldown. Imagine how cool it would be to reflect CC back onto attackers as you healed yourself channeling Mortality on the move (which IMO, is another needed change)?

Warlock needs alot of other help, but I think this would be a good start

Proposed change: Add Immovable object as a secondary effect to Mortality, while allowing Mortality to be channeled during movement

Thanks for taking the time to read this, please post any criticism, or constructive feedback, or maybe an idea you have that you think is better than mine, or how these abilities could fit in a different soul than I've listed.
    Last edited by lol r u mad; 10-15-2013 at 06:19 PM.

http://www.twitch.tv/Screamoaktown - Live streaming 5v5's
    Skreamo@Greybriar
    <Wasted Talent>

Ascendant

you're PVP QQ that got pyro changed to what it is now ruined the awesome hard hitting turret play-style pyro had

just sayin
    Quote Originally Posted by Frailaq View Post

tl;dr - Trion should do this: Melee = Turret Ranged > Mobile Ranged

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntled View Post
    you're PVP QQ that got pyro changed to what it is now ruined the awesome hard hitting turret play-style pyro had

just sayin
    I hope you're joking, you're welcome for a viable Pyro btw

Skreamo@Greybriar
    <Wasted Talent>

Withered Veins - Your single target non-instant damage spells add Withered Veins to players, reducing healing received by (1/2/3/4/5)%. Stacks up to 5 times. Last for 10 seconds

Instead: warlock

Leprosy: Your defile adds leprosy to player, reducing healing received by (1/2/3/4)%. Stacks up to 5 times. Last for 10 seconds
    I want to see the light leave your eyes
    Feeling your breath on my lips one last time
    I want to see the light leave your eyes.
    Feeling your breath for the last time.
    God rest your soul is mine....

Force crit ability in Pyro soul shouldn't have a charge cost. For example, if I want to Internalize Charge - FC - Fulminate - Fusillade for a big burst, I will be out of charge before finishing casting Fusillade. I suggest just don't reset it with HW (however, i know that Inq's Fanaticism is on reset, so why shouldn't be this one?)

Other suggestions are nice. I would also suggest changing Rift Tomb to anti-healing mechanic which I wrote in suggestion thread (charge cost 10-15/sec, 2 min cd). It gives more harm than use most of time and drains charge, useful only for KB)

Soulwalker

Ward of Detection looks amazing.

I'd be all for giving it to 61 point Archon alongside P2P, and it shares CD with P2P.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntled View Post

just sayin

That was a great soul that was a lot of fun to play.

Unfortunately, the pacing of the game changed dramatically after Storm Legion with every soul but mage having very high mobility. MM, Inquis and shockpulsing warriors prevented Pyro from being able to work in PvP. Do you remember how frustrating it was when a MM/Inqui/RB used to stand at 31-35m and kill us? Or when they moved back just a little towards the end of a fireball cast to prevent it from going off and wasting 2 precious seconds?

Pyro was changed to make it more viable in the current meta. However, you can still play warlock if you would like to experience immobility and a highly mobile environment.

Rift Chaser

You do realize that most of the Archmage abilities got moved to the PA of War, right? That being said, I do miss the force crit. You could plan for KB's Also, I would like to have the ability to more easily force out of stealth that one rogue that you know is just waiting for you to flip a flag and move on

Quote Originally Posted by kickn4fun View Post
    You do realize that most of the Archmage abilities got moved to the PA of War, right? That being said, I do miss the force crit. You could plan for KB's Also, I would like to have the ability to more easily force out of stealth that one rogue that you know is just waiting for you to flip a flag and move on
    By "most" you mean a nerfed hastened, Rune Shield, a badly gimped Double tab, and Rift Tomb? Ethereal Shell is probably the best one we got carried over.

IDK about the ward of detection, I thought about that one alot. It could work in a soul like Archon possibly
    Last edited by lol r u mad; 10-17-2013 at 11:04 AM.

Skreamo@Greybriar
    <Wasted Talent>

+1 to the original post , my only disagreement is replacing nyx's orb (but thats coming from a pve player perspective , as nyx orb has a place in both aoe and st dominator rotation , although dominator and in general mage aoe specs are not so hot right now.)
    Jiggy|Mage Officer|3/3 4/5|RR original

RIP LEGIT , t'was fun.

I am strongly agreeing with all these additional changes. It would make Mage much more enjoyable to play to a point where I would definitely consider returning to PVP as a Mage.

Quote Originally Posted by Giantdad View Post
    Ward of Detection looks amazing.

I'd be all for giving it to 61 point Archon alongside P2P, and it shares CD with P2P.
    I would say having a simple AoE circle around both the P2P totem itself that increases Stealth detection. Now that would be a really good reason to have a 61 Archon in Warfronts.

How neat would it be if these abilities and the ones from old class pvp souls where part of t3 pvp pa?

Prophet of Telara

Detaunt for Chloro. Kthxbai
    Live - Lokken - Mage - Unity Guild - Gelidra EU http://www.unityguild.net/
    Prime - Lokken - Rogue

+ Reply to Thread