+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ideal DPS Specs for Each Raid Boss

Default Ideal DPS Specs for Each Raid Boss

Hey

I know this information is dispersed across the forums but I wanted to get it all in one place and see what everyone's opinion is on it.

What is the ideal mage dps spec for each raid boss? I'm talking about all the lvl 60 bosses, t1 and t2. I'm hoping some of the more knowledgeable mages will take the time to respond with a list and a bit of info on why, especially when the answer is not harb (melee friendly) or pyro (not melee-able). To my knowledge, those are the top dps specs for every fight (with some exceptions), and I'd love to know what the exceptions are and why they are exceptions (things like spreading dots on Kain).

I really hope this turns into an interesting discussion. I think I'm a pretty good mage but I do want to improve and unfortunately I don't have as much time as I would like to be able to comb through all the threads on this forum

Thanks!

Rift Disciple

FT

Gelidra
    Normal - Harb/Pyro
    Hardmode - Necro (for corpse explosion, slightly nerfed now)/Warlock (double dot rotation on amrian and Gelidra; refer to Valery's guide)

Zaviel
    Normal - Harb (If comfortable melee, not friendly if your new to the fight) or Pyro
    Hardmode - Same. (remember to EA, cleave at the start for orbs, or if Pyro ST each one before boss)

Twins - Harb (EA with flaring at start, blademark up on the other twin, gg)

Crucia - Harb/Pyro (both are very good for ST burn phases, Heat wave/EA will be up for all of the Crucia phases)

EE

Progenitor
    Normal - Harb (better dps if comfortable melee, amazing cleave at the end)/Pyro (safe option)
    Hardmode - Pyro/Warlock (triple dot rotation op)

Kain
    Normal - Warlock (if you need cleave, radiate death)/Harb for full burst
    Hardmode - Warlock (only viable option)

Matriarch
    Harb (full nuke on matriarch, blademark childe, pick up crystals)

Goloch
    Harb (anything else and your gimping your dps)

Regulos
    Harb/Pyro (both good burst, lines up nicely with phases and helps push them)

GA

Kalliban - Harb/Pyro (depends if you run melee or ranged strat)

Kyzan - Pyro (only this)

Salvarola - Harb/Pyro (comfortable in melee or not)

Ultane - Harb (maximum dps, cleave on turrets and adds with blademarks + nice cooldown to push phase)

IG

X1 - Harb (always melee so no excuse)

Twins - Harb (same as above)

Volan - Pyro (You need to make room for warriors and rogues with higher DPS + target switch to adds/cells)

PB

Eggtenders - Pyro (favours ranged)

Proteus - Harb (You do the highest 20s burst in the game)

Thrax - Pyro (Again, you need to make room for rogues/warriors)

Inyr - Not telling

Planebreaker - Not telling
    Vordy/Mage/4/4 Hardmodes/4/4 FT/5/5 EE/4/4 GA

I have barely done any SL raiding on my Mage but since nobody else has responded yet here is what I would do.

ToDQ:

Falconer - Harb (blademark OP) or if ignoring the bird, harb anyway
    Cyril - Harb
    Jultharin - Harb (range CD is up for every wisp)
    Typhiria - Harb, or if not bypassing Storm Blasts, pyro

FT:

Gelidra - Harb
    Zaviel - Harb, or Warlock if you want useless DPS on the orbs (range CD for far mirrors)
    Twins - Harb or Necro, or if tanking separately, Warlock and keep dots on both
    Crucia - Harb if comfortable with melee in last phase, otherwise pyro

EE:

Progenitor - Harb (range CD for Shields)
    Kain - Warlock (dots on bloodthieves)
    Matriach - Harb, either for DPS or stuns
    Goloch - Harb
    Regulos - Don't know fight well enough

GA:

Kaliban - Harb or Pyro depending how many stun phases it takes to kill and whether your strategy allows you to melee
    Kyzan - Harb if you're good at running away otherwise Pyro
    Salvarola - Pyro
    Ultane - Don't know fight well enough

IG:

Breaker: Harb

And Necromancer is a suitable substitute on any of these fights other than Kyzan or Salvarola, if you don't have a Defiler and need the links.

EDIT: ninja'd
    Last edited by TheGrinnz; 10-14-2013 at 02:18 PM.

It depends greatly on your raid makeup and what your responsibilities are. For instance, some guilds want pure ST on Gelidra > Cyclone > Gelidra, and cleave the birds down after that phase with cds on the add tank. Some guilds prefer that anyone that can blow up the small birds do so asap, so they're not an issue when the cyclone dies. In the mostly ST route, Harb shines. The other, Necro(especially pre-CE nerf).

It also depends how much of the raid is trying to do the same job as you. My mage's guild takes the safe route, so I run Necro. If I have 2-3 people helping me out I may only do 24k. If it's just me and another I can easily ride above 30k. In my alt guild they do the mostly ST route, and those large numbers aren't seen.

TLDR; these are just guildlines(and opinions no less, I actually differ with a few). Make sure you keep the suggestions in mind, but don't be afraid to experiment based on what your guild needs and what other people in your raid are running. This goes for all fights, not just Gelidra.
    Last edited by NotTrev; 10-14-2013 at 02:45 PM.

Awesome, thanks for the replies

This is pretty much what I expected but it is nice to have that confirmation. The only thing I noticed is that I usually run necro on Prog but that is just to help out with the purge.

Ascendant

my 2 cents

Necro is also a very good choice for matriarch and egg tenders, if you do not or cannot optimise pyro or if latency is an issue for you it is probably a better choice then pyro

twins (IG not FT) you will be lucky to have a mage spare for anything but chloro or pyrochon

vordreds list is pretty good, nothing else to add

edit: one more thing, breaker in IG is I think one of the few fights where it is not really viable to substitute necro or pyro for harb. the phases are really short and there is lots of target switching which does not suit necro or pyro nearly as well as harbinger

P.S Kervick nerf harb or buff mage ranged
    Last edited by Gruntled; 10-14-2013 at 04:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frailaq View Post

tl;dr - Trion should do this: Melee = Turret Ranged > Mobile Ranged

You can't play harb on Volan unless you remove your elrich armor buff before each cleansing phase anyway. Or you'll wipe your mates. Cf. my report in the mage bug topic.
    Lanfeara@Brisesol

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntled View Post
    edit: one more thing, breaker in IG is I think one of the few fights where it is not really viable to substitute necro or pyro for harb. the phases are really short and there is lots of target switching which does not suit necro or pyro nearly as well as harbinger
    I've found the exact opposite actually, perhaps it has to do with where you're sent on the fight. Where you sent to portals? I will agree that since it's a pure ST fight(in the sense that, if you're dps is on par and you prioretize your targets you'll rarely find yourself with 2 adds up at the same time) Necro is largely wasted.

However, Pyro has it's place. If you head to the portals, perhaps Harb is superior. As one of the five permanent dps on the ground team I started our progression as Harb and switched to Pyro for three reasons. Constant 15-20second target switches hampers Harb's ramp up time (BL if greater than 15, pb, rending x3 with procs interrupting the process). EA is largely wasted on the ground phase, because there are bits of downtime and you only need to be fast enough to kill the second rock guy's shield. Because of the off and on downtime, constant small breaks actually play better to Pyro's cooldowns , being 45second for the most part, giving a higher percentage of the time that you're using cds vs no cds in a straight burn. This is better than the binary behavior of GOD, not-god, with Harb. Lastly, it's safer in positioning(being behind the Tacts, behind the champs, out of and away from Red while burning the shield). The safety shouldn't be an issue, if your raid is coordinated and disciplined, but when Pyro's superior target switching and constant burst pull it up right next to Harb, when on the ground team, why use Harb?

Depending on your strat 61 ele works great on PB/eggtenders since it has the highest burst of any mage spec and doesnt hurt as much as pyro for all the target switching u may end up doing.

Other than that I find myself as chloro or archon on just about every fight. I really hate raiding as a mage and want to delete it because of this, they really need to add another spec or two for dps for mages so ppl will want them to actually dps...
    Useful Rogue guides since I don't want to answer 50 billion questions anymore:
    Marksman, Ranger, Nightblade, Blink'Blade, Asstalker, Assdancer, and finally The Hoko Spec™
    Hoko, teaching noobs the way of rogue pve until 12/20/11.

Maybe you should just convince your guild to use a bm instead of an archon hoko
    ~ | Fiskerton | Fiskermage | Fiskerheals | Fiskerbear | ~

I'm a homeless stray of a raider

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by NotTrev View Post
    I've found the exact opposite actually, perhaps it has to do with where you're sent on the fight. Where you sent to portals?
    yes I do portals, so that is probably the difference

could just be a learn to play pryo target switching better issue but I find harb works much better for me with all the target switching and runnng and portaling and what not

Plane Walker

Necro works fine on BreakerX1, I've used it so the cleric that was defiling goes full DPS instead. it works on Salvarola too, if you're not a dummy with your AEs... and you trust your Soul Bond not to eat the fire

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by drabk View Post
    Necro works fine on BreakerX1, I've used it so the cleric that was defiling goes full DPS instead. it works on Salvarola too, if you're not a dummy with your AEs... and you trust your Soul Bond not to eat the fire
    it can work fine but it can't be used anywhere near optimal, the phases are simply to short to make proper use of the pet cool downs and possession. depending on how fast you burn through the boss and add phases I guess

Lich form can also bug the bomb causing it to explode early and kill innocent bystanders

also I hate it when my soul bond eats the fire or the beam omg the beam. that shyte hurts!

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntled View Post
    it can work fine but it can't be used anywhere near optimal, the phases are simply to short to make proper use of the pet cool downs and possession. depending on how fast you burn through the boss and add phases I guess

Lich form can also bug the bomb causing it to explode early and kill innocent bystanders

also I hate it when my soul bond eats the fire or the beam omg the beam. that shyte hurts!
    Agreed about Necro.

Imo using many of the Nec cds feels exactly like using EA, they're long cds(1:30-2:00) with high durations(20-30secs) which isn't very conducive to the fight. Where as pyro has shortish cds(45-1:00) that are very short and bursty in duration(instant-3secs). The simple fact that Nec is simply behind Pyro in a ST fight is enough reason not to run it(especially since the crystal's LF buff duration got nerfed to "only while LF is up"). Using it as utility, to drop a Defiler in place of Inq has merit, but if you were to go that route we would need two and furthermore, the fight doesn't even require links. We're running chloro, chloro, puri, 61bard with no issues.
    Last edited by NotTrev; 10-16-2013 at 02:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiskerton View Post
    Maybe you should just convince your guild to use a bm instead of an archon hoko
    Cause a 6-8k dps BM doesnt beat a 15-20k dps archon is why. Hell harbchon breaks 20k on most fights as is, there is absolutely no reason not to have one in the raid since it beats many ranged dps specs as is.
    Useful Rogue guides since I don't want to answer 50 billion questions anymore:
    Marksman, Ranger, Nightblade, Blink'Blade, Asstalker, Assdancer, and finally The Hoko Spec™
    Hoko, teaching noobs the way of rogue pve until 12/20/11.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast