+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Mage Needs Help Putting up "Respectable" DPS.

Soulwalker

Default New Mage Needs Help Putting up "Respectable" DPS.

Dear Mage community;

Hey everyone, I'm a relatively new level 60 Mage who recently started playing around the end of June when the game went free to play. I hit 60 on September 20th and thanks to some really generous guildmates, got a bunch of crafted purple gear and some decent blue gear. My stats got to the point where the guild let me come with them on a 20-man EE run. Anyways, long story short, I blew it hard. I hit the raid mechanics easily enough without causing wipes, but my DPS was horrendous in my opinion. Especially during the Kain fight. My one friend who I have been playing with plays Cleric Shaman DPS and was able, with green lessers, to get to nearly 10k DPS, but I barely hit above 4k at one point and then only 6-7k earlier, and I have blue lessers and above! I know I must be doing something seriously wrong. He does have a full set of purple armor gear and a SL purple weapon and the crafted rings and trinkets if I recall correctly, where as i only have 2 crafted armors and the crafted rings and trinket. But i still think i should be able to pull far more DPS than the DPS I did pull. I copied my stats below:

http://i.imgur.com/64sR4RQ.jpg

So my questions to the forum are this:

1. Given the above stats, what kind of DPS should I be hitting if running 61 Necro or Necrobringer or ArchonPyro?

2. What are common mistakes that Mages make that would cause their DPS to fall short?

3. How can I increase my DPS on the Kain fight when I'm not supposed to be using Grave Rot or the Shadow Revenant pet?

One final question - how competitive is Warlock DPS in a raid environment? I know that 61Necro or 61Pyro parse higher, but I'm just curious as to how much higher...

Thanks for your help and patience everyone..

1. Given the above stats, what kind of DPS should I be hitting if running 61 Necro or Necrobringer or ArchonPyro?
    considering your gear you should be hitting 8-9k+ easy

2. What are common mistakes that Mages make that would cause their DPS to fall short?
    not doing their rotation properly... especially when it comes to charge management

3. How can I increase my DPS on the Kain fight when I'm not supposed to be using Grave Rot or the Shadow Revenant pet?
    kain is actually one of the few fights where warlock is better than necro

One final question - how competitive is Warlock DPS in a raid environment? I know that 61Necro or 61Pyro parse higher, but I'm just curious as to how much higher...
    warlock is only really great on a few fights (kain being the most prevalent). most of the time, it falls far far behind especially as you get better gear

Have you gone to valvalval.net? If not, then read the explanations and rotations, and all that's left to do is practice
    ~ | Fiskerton | Fiskermage | Fiskerheals | Fiskerbear | ~

I'm a homeless stray of a raider

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Fiskerton View Post
    considering your gear you should be hitting 8-9k+ easy
    Thanks. I have hit around there before, but that was mostly in TDQ when I was able to use SR and and stand in place and channel Master's Rage while in possession...

not doing their rotation properly... especially when it comes to charge management
    Any tips on charge management? I kinda notice that it gets full, pop the lich form for a DC5 corpse talon if there + a CM or two and sit there spamming every spell until it wears off and i build enough charge for it again. Thats usually after ive blown it on the summon spells

kain is actually one of the few fights where warlock is better than necro
    Hrm... Makes sense

warlock is only really great on a few fights (kain being the most prevalent). most of the time, it falls far far behind especially as you get better gear

Have you gone to valvalval.net? If not, then read the explanations and rotations, and all that's left to do is practice
    Yeah... Thats where i picked up the macros and spec from... Ill look closer.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by VeiledSpectre View Post
    I have hit around there before, but that was mostly in TDQ when I was able to use SR and and stand in place and channel Master's Rage while in possession...

those are pretty much the conditions necromancer needs to be able to do good dps. If you can't make the most of your cooldowns, including possession, empty the crypts and mass grave then the dps will drop quite a lot

same if you have to target switch a lot or the fight has very short phases like breaker X1 in infinity gate.

to get the most out of your mage it is important to pick the right spec for the right fight. Kain is not the right fight for necromancer, however something like matriach is an excellent fight to use necro on
    Quote Originally Posted by Frailaq View Post

tl;dr - Trion should do this: Melee = Turret Ranged > Mobile Ranged

One thing a necro should never do is just leave Lich Form on because Bone Frenzy is a big deal. You should always have 50 charge every time it's up. This skill is basically what your charge management should center around. I can't exactly give you tips other than to always have 50 charge when Bone Frenzy is about to come up and to never let it hit 100 unless saving up for an Empty the Crypts. A lot of mage rotations come with practice in my experience
    Last edited by Fiskerton; 10-01-2013 at 08:33 PM.
    ~ | Fiskerton | Fiskermage | Fiskerheals | Fiskerbear | ~

I'm a homeless stray of a raider

Like everyone else is saying, the best thing you can do is practice your specs and get geared up. I highly recommend maxing your Torvan and Lycini reps to get your Venerated lessers. Very big jump, as you source engine is your highest stat equipment slot. If you follow Val's spec guides on Valvalval.net and practice them both on dummies (to get that muscle memory for ideal rotation when standing still) and in experts for practical experience you'll probably see a lot of improvement. Another big part of it is running your best spec for each fight.

I run necro for Prog because I always end up helping out with purges. It works really well for that fight. When you get down to the last two bosses your innate cleave comes into effect as well which is great. Harb would also be good for it if your group doesn't need help with purges and if you run a strat which is melee friendly.

Warlock is great for Kain. In the first part just stack your dots and then move them around from blood to blood using the spells that allow you to pick up and redrop your dots (can't remember what they're called off the top of my head... I'm a visual person and I just know what the icons look like). Then once you get to Kain himself stack your dots and then use Radiate Death on the first group of bloods and then on CD after that (assuming you don't come off CD when there are no bloods up). The thing with that fight is that in the beginning you absolutely cannot AoE and during Kain himself the bloods take reduced damage from AoE. That is why Warlock works so well, you are technically spreading ST spells instead of using AoE spells.

A general rule I usually follow is that if it is melee friendly run Harb. That is your top dps. If it is non-melee friendly ST, run pyro. If it is non-melee friendly and there are multiple targets or adds run necro for the cleave. Obviously specific fights may have specs that are just far and away better for whatever reason. Make friends with a more experienced mage in your guild and just whisper him before the fight "what spec should I run here?"

Ascendant

You picked pretty much the worst possible single target spec for the kain fight and put up terrible numbers, what did you expect?

A HUGE part of dpsing is actually using the right spec for the fight.

+ Reply to Thread