+ Reply to Thread

Thread: AoE grinding as a mage.

Soulwalker

Default AoE grinding as a mage.

Hey guys, I'm trying to find a guide or at least a build that would make a great AoE grinding spec for my mage to get past these last few level before 50. I'm currently level 45 and while the harb/chloro spec Ive been using is reliable for a few mobs, Id kinda like a spec that allows me to take on a lot of mobs all at once. I'd assume for such a spec Id have to use either a pet-based soul or chloromancer and right now Ive been trying SC but cant seem to get a good rotation down. Let me know if any of you can think of something.

You can try the old SC/Chloro with Withering Vine to pull mobs and then Radiant Spores + Forked Lightning, but with the SL nerf to RS this spec is not as survivable as it used to be.

This Harb/Chloro spec provides a high amount of survivability while retaining good damage. Buffs are LBV, Eldritch Armor, Reaper's Blade, and Charged Blade.
    1. Pull mobs with Blazing Light
    2. Put up Searing Vitality
    3. Use the macro below on Eldritch Armor procs
    4. Spam Lucent Slash
    • If you are taking high damage then toggle of Charged Blade and save your charge for Planar Shield.
    • Essence of Wind has a low CD of 45s so use it liberally.
    • If possible only use your Bloom when Eldritch Armor procs because it will only proc a 0.25s GCD
    • Use Conditioned Response on cooldown.
    Eldritch Armor macro:
    #show Vorpal Slash
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Vorpal Slash
    cast Nature's Touch
    cast Vile Spores

Going forward you would put at least 2 points into Archon's "Blood Pact" for more Endurance as well as Ashen Defense for more Armor, and then put everything else into Harbinger.

If you don't like Harbinger you can try Necro/Lock, going enough points into Lock for Radiate Death and putting the rest into Necro. Then you could throw down Grave Rot, DoT up your primary target, spread the DoTs, and concentrate on using Soul Purge to keep your tank alive. You might also try Necro/Ele to give your tank pet more health and mitigation.

Quote Originally Posted by takadox View Post
    You can try the old SC/Chloro with Withering Vine to pull mobs and then Radiant Spores + Forked Lightning, but with the SL nerf to RS this spec is not as survivable as it used to be.

This Harb/Chloro spec provides a high amount of survivability while retaining good damage. Buffs are LBV, Eldritch Armor, Reaper's Blade, and Charged Blade.
    Wouldn't a point in SC over going into Archon be better for what the OP asked for? Forked Lightning on Eldritch procs seems to be a better call for AoE grinding than a little more stam IMO.

I switched to Harb/Chloro/SC and prefer it for mass pulls.
    Last edited by mkultra55; 06-07-2013 at 05:29 AM.

Champion

If you are level 45 you have what you need to grind successfully with the harbinger/chloro spec. You should be able to overpull and kill it off in a reasonable time without loosing much health.

Harbinger/chloro (with 16 points in chloro whilst leveling for Ruin) gives you the best self heal a mage can have, whilst still putting out a decent amount of dps and even the aoe is totally ok to work with.
    In Harbinger you also find stuns, extra dodge, shield and so on that is very useful and keep you up. You should not die or feel that you can't pull to much. If you do then you need to look at what you use and how/when. Read the guides for the spec and use what you have and you will make it

+ Reply to Thread