+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Are pyromancers overplayed?

Shadowlander

Default Are pyromancers overplayed?

I've been looking into leveling a mage, pyromancer seems pretty cool, but are there a lot of pyromancers?

Also do pyromancers usually get a pet? Because I don't like having to control a pet.

thanks

Ascendant

Pyro is one of the best DPS specs for a mage so they are played often.
    There are no pets for a Pyro.
    only Necromancers and Elementalists use pets.

Pyro is ST dps flavor atm

That is for progression end game raiding. Other builds do just fine, but to compete is a diff story.

Warlock is still heavily used on fights throughout raids, as is harbinger. Still a preference thing though
    Formerly Manwitch.... 4/4 FT 5/5 EE 3/4 GA

Quote Originally Posted by merder View Post
    [said some stuff]
    You know, going by the picture alone, I am inclined to believe you know something about pyromancers.

Champion

Tons of pyros in PVP but that's because right now it's one of the better options for mages. Good burst, easy rotation, and most appealing to new players big numbers. So I think it's kind of the default a lot of people look to in PVP. Plus fire type mages are usually thought of as having good dps and so people lean towards pyro more.

PVE I still see a decent balance when it comes to DPS. Lots of ele or necro mages, some pyros, and a few locks and harbs. Raiding guild's you'll see more people playing pyro on single target fights but because it's the best single target mage soul at the moment. Before the updates that made pyro the top DPS spec those same pyros were playing some other spec which offered better damage output.

Yes, because our other DPS souls are so terrible atm besides Warlock. harbinger, necro, and Ele are all awful for any raid encounter and if you see them being played in a raid, it's either not a serious raid, or high ranking guilds being bored with farm content. Warlock will still outperform it on any fight with more than 1 target and is a better spec for hard modes cause of the extra health, especially if you're on progression.

Pvp is the same deal really except there's more options for support in Dominator, and Chloro + Necromancer which is starting to become very popular but has a vastly different playstyle and some may find it more difficult

http://www.twitch.tv/Screamoaktown - Live streaming 5v5's
    Skreamo@Greybriar
    <Wasted Talent>

Ascendant

Harbinger is completely viable for raid.
    It just isn't viable for every encounter =(

Quote Originally Posted by meoka2368 View Post
    You know, going by the picture alone, I am inclined to believe you know something about pyromancers.
    I can't say I know everything with pyro, but I was ecstatic when 61 pyro became top ST dps. But that's just bc I'm a fire mage at heart. If and when something tops it, I'll play that. Hasn't always been pyro. I'll cry a little on the inside, but that's ok.

I would love another Stormcaller heavy raid build that's viable. But whatever, I'm enjoying pyro right now. It's fun to literally burn the boss.
    Formerly Manwitch.... 4/4 FT 5/5 EE 3/4 GA

Quote Originally Posted by Katosu View Post
    Harbinger is completely viable for raid.
    It just isn't viable for every encounter =(
    Meh. Stuns for Matriarch, what else? It does the same ST as 'lock but has no persistent cleave to speak of, is less forgiving, and is melee. It's well behind Pyro for pure ST. It really has nothing to recommend it except for its CCs.
    Last edited by Ianto Jones; 06-03-2013 at 05:35 PM.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto Jones View Post
    Meh. Stuns for Matriarch, what else? It does the same ST as 'lock but has no persistent cleave to speak of, is less forgiving, and is melee. It's well behind Pyro for pure ST. It really has nothing to recommend it except for its CCs.
    I am quite sure that Harbinger is competitive with Pyro for Single target DPS.
    You can use it on Gelidra, Zaviel, Twins, Crucia, Matriarch, Goloch and Progenitor.
    Essentially anything you can use Pyro on, you can use Harb.

The persistent cleave from Warlock is great but not mandatory otherwise Pyro wouldn't have a place in outside of a handful of fights, fights that Harbinger is perfectly viable in.

The issue is that Harbinger just doesn't do enough damage for being a melee spec. Its spot on with our ranged specs, and unless it does higher DPS its not worth using.
    That and it eats mana like mad which makes longer encounters painful if you have no pots.

I am quite sure that Harbinger is competitive with Pyro for Single target DPS.
    You can use it on Gelidra, Zaviel, Twins, Crucia, Matriarch, Goloch and Progenitor.
    Essentially anything you can use Pyro on, you can use Harb.

The persistent cleave from Warlock is great but not mandatory otherwise Pyro wouldn't have a place in outside of a handful of fights, fights that Harbinger is perfectly viable in.

The issue is that Harbinger just doesn't do enough damage for being a melee spec. Its spot on with our ranged specs, and unless it does higher DPS its not worth using.
    That and it eats mana like mad which makes longer encounters painful if you have no pots.
    I am 100% certain that Harbinger cannot compete with Pyro in ST DPS. While you can use Harbinger on any fight you would use Pyro, it does worse in all of those fights.

Warlock is mandatory if you want to have an icicle's chance in hell to kill HM Kain and HM Gelidra, unless you're being massively carried by other classes.
    Nope.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Primalthirst View Post
    I am 100% certain that Harbinger cannot compete with Pyro in ST DPS. While you can use Harbinger on any fight you would use Pyro, it does worse in all of those fights.
    I'd like to see some parses.
    Ive not seen Pyro flat out destroy Harb in terms of ST dps.
    Not in a dummy foundry at least.
    You'd need to really abuse the Pyromancer Aegis mechanic to do that and even then, I haven't seen parses that outparse Harb to the extent that it is unviable in raids.

Quote Originally Posted by Primalthirst View Post

Warlock is mandatory if you want to have an icicle's chance in hell to kill HM Kain and HM Gelidra, unless you're being massively carried by other classes.
    Wasn't considering the hardmodes as they aren't part of raid progression.
    Hardmodes pretty much demand the usage of a Warlock since they all require cleaving capability ESPECIALLY Gelidra.

Ascendant

I'd like to see some parses.
    Ive not seen Pyro flat out destroy Harb in terms of ST dps.
    Not in a dummy foundry at least.
    You'd need to really abuse the Pyromancer Aegis mechanic to do that and even then, I haven't seen parses that outparse Harb to the extent that it is unviable in raids.
    Although I don't have parses, I tend to agree Pyro is above Harb in single target by at least 5%, probably 10%. Abusing the aegis is proc is what you gotta do, just like abusing vorpal slash in harb.
    Archy Mage, Face, Prime, Primal Rouge, Rogue, Eric, W, @ Laethys --- Nefarious ---

Quote Originally Posted by Archyface View Post
    ...Abusing the aegis is proc is what you gotta do, just like abusing vorpal slash in harb.
    Can someone explain the fire aegis proc comment? Are you really talking about an exploit, or just timing it right?

Quote Originally Posted by Ashikuro View Post
    Can someone explain the fire aegis proc comment? Are you really talking about an exploit, or just timing it right?
    It's just making use of the internal cooldown of aegis procs, during which you can use an ability that normally wouldn't proc it. Vorpal slash is a little different since it is actually a bug, just one that hasn't had to be fixed yet.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast