+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: How do you play Chloro? (PvP)

Default How do you play Chloro? (PvP)

I'm level 18 and I honestly have no idea what I'm doing. I have no idea which veil to use, although Lifegiving Veil seems exactly the same as Lifebound, but substantially better.

Also, what do you even attack people with? Nature's Touch takes ages to cast and I'm usually dead before it goes off. Anyways, I'm Chloro/Warlock/Pyro.

Ascendant

It has been a very long time since i played pvp in that level range, but I'll try to help. Avoid casting Nature's Fury until you get the cast time reduction talents way up in the tree. Until you have Synthesis (increases the healing from LBV) do not use LBV, use LGV instead. Put Synthesis on people who are taking heavy damage and use the damaging abilities to heal them (Ruin will give a large heal to the person with Synth on them).
    At lower levels I would use pyro as my second soul and use the knockback reducion talent as it will help you a lot. Put the rest into cast time reduction, silence/stun duration reduction, etc.

Vile spores will be your main spam ability.
    Last edited by Tookmyjob; 06-02-2013 at 03:28 PM.

Champion

Lifebound veil is a tank/single target healing veil. It's not much use until higher levels though. Ruin and Nature's touch give increased healing to the synth target. At higher levels Void Life and Corrosive Spores also generate big heals on the synth target. But at low levels especially in PVP there's just not enough to make synth healing that good.

Stick to livegiving veil, cast vile spores/withering vines a lot, and get boon of life in the chloromancer tree when it becomes available. The skill will add stacks when certain abilities hit and these stacks will reduce cast time on nature's touch. Once you reduce the cast time a bit nature's touch is an excellent heal.

When does Chloro get pretty good? I'm 19 right now and I'm pretty abysmal.

Chloro is a good healing build throughout leveling; however, it really shines once you hit 50+. At lower levels you will want to utilize Radiant Spores, Withering Vine, Ruin, and Vile Spores as your primary heals through your Lifegiving Veil. Both Ruin and Vile Spores will apply a DoT on the target (once talented) that will boost heals and DPS output. Withering Vine is a great "burst" heals and is your basic on the move heal. Only use Flourish and Bloom for spot heals as necessary (use Entropic Veil before these spells to boost their output!).

Generally, you will want to apply Radiant Spores first, refreshing it only when it's about to drop off . . . Do NOT use on cooldown. The buff lasts 16 seconds untalented and 26 seconds if talented -- the CD on the ability is 8 seconds. It is an HPS loss and a waste of valuable GCD if you apply it as soon as the CD is up. Follow with Withering Vine, and reapply when about to drop off -- or when burst heals are needed. Next you can use Ruin, or just start spamming Vile Spores if you want to save Ruin for movement phases.

For your build, the optimal one at 60 is 61 Chloromancer, 8 Pyromancer, 7 Harbinger. Prior to 50 you can use Warlock for the HP boost . . . but what you gain in HP by using Warlock, you lose in Spell Power from Harbinger, and Spell Crit boosts from Pyro. Keep in mind as a healer your primary stats are: Intelligence, Spell Power, Crit Power, Endurance. Spell Crit is only needed on your gear if you have not gone the Pyro route.

Something else to keep in mind is that how well you perform depends on what content you are exploring in any particular build. If you are questing/soloing as a mage using a Chloromancer/Harbinger build will have better utility, damage, and survivability than a healer. If you are in War Fronts you may find that using a support build with Dominator or Archon will be more fulfilling. And if you are in dungeons you may want to try using a DPS build.

Overall, leveling as a Mage healer has its challenges, but there are many options with a mage so keep an open mind and make sure to purchase your role slots so you are able to adapt to whatever situation you are in
    Last edited by Heeelp; 06-04-2013 at 05:31 PM.

Ascendant

I'm going to have to contradict a lot of advice given here. Of course, I spent a lot of time over the last few weeks examining my 'healing done' on Rift Meter, so I can back up what I am saying.

Firstly, take Radiant Spores off the toolbar when doing warfronts. Radiant Spores is great when 10+ DPS is hammering a single target with millions of HP, but is poorly suited for wafronts. I tested this specifically: spamming Radiant Spores (as in using it at every opportunity, making up 15%+ of my casts) made up 2.3% and 2.2% of my healing done.

Withering Vines and Natures Fury are largely DPS spells more so than healing spells. Withering Wines is useful for when you have to move, however. Many a warfront has seen WV do 5% of my healing while doing 20% of my damage. Strafe left/right and tab-target to apply to three targets when repositioning or running away. Natures Fury serves no purpose unless you want to do more damage than healing at any given moment.

MonkeysUncle brings up a good point: use Vile Spores (and later Void Life) to reduce the cast time of Nature's Touch. Bringing that cast time to 1.5 seconds (or less) increases your healing effectiveness greatly.

As for secondary/tertiary souls, I am partial to Dominator for the increased range and Reflective Command. However, there are many different effective options, so I would recommend you experiment with several of them and see which one tickles your fancy.

Why go 61 chloro if you don't use Radiant Spores? Phytogenesis talent would be useless then.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Lucieus View Post
    Why go 61 chloro if you don't use Radiant Spores? Phytogenesis talent would be useless then.
    If your primary goal is healing, then every extra point in the chloro tree still adds 1% healing due to the gift.
    Archy Mage, Face, Prime, Primal Rouge, Rogue, Eric, W, @ Laethys --- Nefarious ---

I will disagree with radiant spores from being reliable. The goal is to kill the enemy by any means possible, and by using it as a cover for other more dangerous dots and CCs such that it gets cleansed first is invaluable. Many people at low levels dont have an AOE cleanse yet much less when to use it. I hate popping a cleanse just to see radiant spores being removed.

The more debuffs you can pile on people in pvp the better, it makes cleanses more difficult. But I will agree, dont use it and rely on it to heal peeps. It gets last priority.
    Xenohart
    http://www.fractureguild.enjin.com/ | twitch.tv/xenohartgaming
    4/4 TDQ | 4/4 FT | 5/5 EE | 4/4 GA | 3/3 IG | 4/5 PB | 2/4 BOB 4/4 minis
    I just make it look easy sometimes. ~Daglar

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Lucieus View Post
    The last three abilities in the chloro root are spectacular. If you want to be a healer, you will want Corrosive Spores and Symbiosis. And the lvl 61 mage armour - Living Aegis - increases your health and healing by 10%, and your damage by 15%.

Radiant Spores is a terrific ability for PvE, I will not deny that. However with the internal cooldown and the healing cap placed on RS, it simply does not heal enough in warfront conditions to justify the global cooldowns spent applying it.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Xenoheart View Post
    I will disagree with radiant spores from being reliable.
    Radiant Spores is an HPS loss. When I call it unreliable I am referring to its healing ability.

The goal is to kill the enemy by any means possible, and by using it as a cover for other more dangerous dots and CCs such that it gets cleansed first is invaluable.
    Not really, my goal as a chloro is to provide as much healing possible to the DPS so that they may kill the enemy as quickly as possible. If I wish to lend a hand from time to time I will do so by applying Withering Wines and Blight. I tend to stick to my specialization though, and only help out when healing is not an immediate concern.

The more debuffs you can pile on people in pvp the better, it makes cleanses more difficult. But I will agree, dont use it and rely on it to heal peeps. It gets last priority.
    Ok, I can agree with you there - so long as their are no illusions regarding its healing potential. I can see how blight -> WV -> RS could be helpful in the overall picture. Or how protecting combust stacks would be a worthwhile use of a GCD.

Withering Vines may not seem to do much "HPS" on the meter, but it won't show all of its healing because most of its healing is proc'd through your veils. According to the tooltips for both Lifegiving and Lifebound veil an instant cast ability will do approximately 1/3 of the heals of any cast-time ability.

Which is a huge difference, unless you consider these factors:
    You can cast 2-3 Withering Vines (if not more) in the time it takes to cast most of the other life abilities
    It can neither be interrupted, nor will it suffer from push-back
    It has a HoT effect in addition to the heal it proc'd through your veil
    It does not have any travel time, so as soon as it is cast a proc is granted from your veil
    It is effectively one of the more powerful healing utilities a Chloromancer has access to. Especially in PvP, because there is a high likelihood that your cast will either be interrupted or pushed back. So, that means your heals will take longer, be less effective, or just not there when needed. Which results in your group dying.

Just some food for thought.

spam natures cleansing
    after respawning swap out to pyro spec
    who took my names!

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Heeelp View Post
    Withering Vines may not seem to do much "HPS" on the meter, but it won't show all of its healing because most of its healing is proc'd through your veils. According to the tooltips for both Lifegiving and Lifebound veil an instant cast ability will do approximately 1/3 of the heals of any cast-time ability.

Which is a huge difference, unless you consider these factors:
    You can cast 2-3 Withering Vines (if not more) in the time it takes to cast most of the other life abilities
    It can neither be interrupted, nor will it suffer from push-back
    It has a HoT effect in addition to the heal it proc'd through your veil
    It does not have any travel time, so as soon as it is cast a proc is granted from your veil
    It is effectively one of the more powerful healing utilities a Chloromancer has access to. Especially in PvP, because there is a high likelihood that your cast will either be interrupted or pushed back. So, that means your heals will take longer, be less effective, or just not there when needed. Which results in your group dying.

Just some food for thought.
    Well no, you can't cast Withering Vines 2-3 times in the time it takes to cast other life abilities, unless you count Void Life as a cast ability. The only other contender - Nature's Touch - should have a cast time of 1.0 seconds with proper use of Void Life (and Vile Spores, though)

That aside, you do raise a decent point. Testing on the dummies showed a single Withering Vines' LGV proc 1/3 as effective as VS, NT, and a full VL channel; 1/2 as effective as Ruin - won't mention CS as that blows everything else out of the water.

I'll be making a point of keeping them in my rotations.

As for PvP... I'll have to take a look at how often I cast Vile Spores. It can't be too often. It currently resides at the bottom of one of my micros to let me know NH has been cast. One or two Vile Spores and a VL and I am mobile again for a short while.

Shadowlander

I am in agreement with most of the previous posts. Just remember, cleansing in pvp is SO important. Help your team win and use your aoe cleanse, almost on cooldown. Someone may outheal you by a few k, but your cleanses are much appreciated =)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast