+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Anyone can post guides in here. srsly

Default Anyone can post guides in here. srsly

Soooo,
    this has been happening for quite some time but is getting out of hand lately.

People keep posting useless or just bad guides, there's like at least 1 per day.
    I'm all for discussions and everyone sharing their ideas, you never know, maybe there is a spec noone has thought about yet.

But this really shouldn't be the forum for discussions.

People tend to look in this area of the forums and assume that the information here is correct.
    They see a guide, they copy the macros, if you're lucky they maybe read the whole first post.
    But they don't check the whole thread whether this is a decent, useful guide and neither should they.

If you do random experts there are SO many bad mages, it is way worse than with any other class.
    Tell them to look in the mage guides section and they will find random #55033's "guide" about whatever.

And don't get me started on what's going to happen as soon as F2P starts. There will be tons of players, who don't even know Rift itself.
    They do not know "approved" members of the mage community, how to sort through this forum.

But there are decent guides in here, for every relevant mage spec.
    Either make those sticky plus an explanation how to use this forum-subsection, so they are the first thing you see if you enter the mage guide section or introduce some kind of voting-system to get threads from the mage-DISCUSSION section in here.

No disrespect to anyone sharing their thoughts and ideas. I'm all for that, just don't do it here.
    There should be finished, approved, decent and fact-checked guides in here so new mages can get their information from one common place.
    sculzilla - cleric - 4/4 3/3 5/5 BoB: Greenscale/Akylios
    You Listening? You Hear That?
    Do Something. Do Something.

MiO
    Rift Master

2/10 got me to reply.

Seems to be people asking to be guided in their posts. Last line in the sticky says bad request threads will be removed though.

Is there a way to organize threads by number of likes or anything? To keep, hopefully, better guides at the top?
    Last edited by MiO; 06-01-2013 at 01:12 PM.

Thanks for the guide on who should be making guides, but I would check your guide to see if your qualified to make this guide. Guide.... Guide.. Guide. Thats a funny word. Guide.
    Last edited by IonCannon; 06-01-2013 at 01:30 PM.

IonCannon@Deepwood
    2 sugoi 4 u

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by MiO View Post
    2/10 got me to reply.

Seems to be people asking to be guided in their posts. Last line in the sticky says bad request threads will be removed though.

Is there a way to organize threads by number of likes or anything? To keep, hopefully, better guides at the top?
    we do need a vote system up in here to faze out the guides that quite don't make the cut. I'm all for giving people the option to post their guide/spec but there needs to be a way for new players to distinguish which are the go to guides then experiment on their own if they choose to.

So make a compiled list of guides that are worth looking at OP. And then make a suggestion to the mods to lock those guides up top.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Killian26 View Post
    So make a compiled list of guides that are worth looking at OP. And then make a suggestion to the mods to lock those guides up top.
    What I've seen that's worked a bit in other games was a list of 'definitive guides' as a sticky. Get a trusted mage to pick which guides they think are up to par in the section and make a post linking them with a title and maybe a 1 line description.

If they get editing rights you can simply have people who have made guides post and ask the thread starter to have a look at their particular guide to see if it makes the cut. The editing rights is a bit of a pain though, nothing I hate more on the forums than the 5min edit timer.

That shouldn't be a problem. Most of guide writers have ability to edit their post. I can make a post like that with selected guides. Only issue I can see is picking the actual guides. Everybody is a critic and has different ideas about what is a "good guide". I'll drop a quick list here to start with so best ones can be picked. Making a new post and stick it won't take long.

Keep in mind, not only raiders play this game, so guides other than top dps specs could/should be included. (something to discuss)

My suggestions:
    DPS:
    61 Pyromancer guide by Berzz
    61 Warlock guide by Valeryy
    61 Harbinger by Valeryy
    61 Elementalist guide by Caydin
    61 Stormcaller Guide by Adena

Healing:
    Chloromancer guide by Ahov

Support:
    Archon guide by TheGrinnz

Solo/Leveling:
    Harbringer/Chloromancer by TheGrinnz

There are the best available on the forums. Yes, some of them are not perfect, but they are informative enough, especially with possible influx of new players. Dont make this thread as personal against other guide writers. Sculti is right, and best guides should be available without digging through forums.
    Last edited by radiomaryja; 06-01-2013 at 03:54 PM.

RIFT Guide Writer RoughRaptorsOld's Avatar

This happened on the warrior guides section a while ago. Someone posted a ton of bad guides and a bunch of people flamed it and reported it. It was gone in a couple hours.

There's already a sticky telling people this section is only for guides. Which also excludes your post btw.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrinnz View Post
    There's already a sticky telling people this section is only for guides.
    that doesn't help with quality control though. New players should be able to come to the guides section and know that the guides they find contain up to date, relevant and accurate information for good builds, whether it is for raiding, levelling or PVP

tosses 0.02 in the jar

Sculti is completely correct, there are too many guides that are for useless specs or there poor guides for good specs. I know when I attempt to play my alts I have absolutely no idea who to trust from other classes half the time. It isn't just a Mage problem.

I would be in favour of one of the prominent and knowledgable community Mages creating a thread with links to all the relevant guides and getting Elrar to give them editing rights and stickying it. Would save a lot of monkeying around, as long as that person will keep it up to date it should work.
    Nope.

I suggested to Elrar that they at least get rid of all the pre-SL guides since they will be a major source of confusion for all the new players. As far as quality of the guides, there are of course some terrible ones but there are also many that are simply controversial, you end up having to pick one biased person or another to judge what guides are the best.

Ascendant

I've already written a summary of all the best guides and discussions (sort of an FAQ) that new mages and returning players should look at. I'm just waiting for someone to give me edit rights so I can actually update the thing. I knew we'd see the same sorts of questions pop up a lot more so I started it a few weeks ago.
    Last edited by Archyface; 06-02-2013 at 03:46 AM.
    Archy Mage, Face, Prime, Primal Rouge, Rogue, Eric, W, @ Laethys --- Nefarious ---

I agree

A lot of "guides" are just slapped together these days. Maybe the newcomers will continue to post their Q's in the suggestion forum, and we can continue to push em in the right direction
    Formerly Manwitch.... 4/4 FT 5/5 EE 3/4 GA

Quote Originally Posted by radiomaryja View Post
    That shouldn't be a problem. Most of guide writers have ability to edit their post. I can make a post like that with selected guides. Only issue I can see is picking the actual guides. Everybody is a critic and has different ideas about what is a "good guide". I'll drop a quick list here to start with so best ones can be picked. Making a new post and stick it won't take long.

Keep in mind, not only raiders play this game, so guides other than top dps specs could/should be included. (something to discuss)

My suggestions:
    DPS:
    61 Pyromancer guide by Berzz
    61 Warlock guide by Valeryy
    61 Harbinger by Valeryy
    61 Elementalist guide by Caydin
    61 Stormcaller Guide by Adena

Healing:
    Chloromancer guide by Ahov

Support:
    Archon guide by TheGrinnz

Solo/Leveling:
    Harbringer/Chloromancer by TheGrinnz

There are the best available on the forums. Yes, some of them are not perfect, but they are informative enough, especially with possible influx of new players. Dont make this thread as personal against other guide writers. Sculti is right, and best guides should be available without digging through forums.
    i would be perfectly fine with those guides

i even like the order of the dps-specs ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Archyface View Post
    I've already written a summary of all the best guides and discussions (sort of an FAQ) that new mages and returning players should look at. I'm just waiting for someone to give me edit rights so I can actually update the thing. I knew we'd see the same sorts of questions pop up a lot more so I started it a few weeks ago.
    do you have that forum post allready prepared?
    mind to share it? maybe per PM or something

really curious about that
    i wanted to do something similar, maybe even going into details like rift-consumables, current tiers of gear (expert, t1 raid, t2 raid), how-to-gear, PA, CQ-power, etc pp
    everything you need to know if you gonna start this game from zero as a mage
    sculzilla - cleric - 4/4 3/3 5/5 BoB: Greenscale/Akylios
    You Listening? You Hear That?
    Do Something. Do Something.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast