+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 11 of 11
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By MonkeysUncle
  • 1 Post By Inixia
  • 1 Post By ilex011
  • 2 Post By Nathixia the hell angel
  • 1 Post By iceash
  • 1 Post By V1rul3n7

Thread: What would mach my playstyle?

  1. #1
    Soulwalker Nathixia the hell angel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    11

    Default What would mach my playstyle?

    I'v seen several mage-build-guides on here, but since it is really indiviually depending on playstyle on what you might like to play as, I decided I would post a thread anyway.

    Well, I like to do fast damage, so it is important with as many instant skills as possible. I also like skills like stun or freezing (duuuh) but I don't really need crit.

    Pets.. they are handy, but not something I would choose before instant skills or a nice stun/freez. On the other side.. if my fellow players think that a mage can benefit from pets in Rift more than in other games than I will listen to that and think twice about it.

    I purchased Rift and Storm Legion not long ago, and as far as I have played I found it hard to kite in this game. Is that true or am I just not doing it right yet? So, depending on if it is or is not hard to kite then... if it is not teach me! But if it is, I would need my mage class to also be able to get some nice buffs or skills to better my endurance.

    That was that! Cheers!

    // Nathixia

  2. #2
    Champion
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    506

    Default

    At low levels I can't think very much that has lots of instants. Pyro has good stuns and is quite mobile once you get extinguish but that's way up at 54. Actually to be honest high level pyro sounds like it has exactly everything you're looking for. But in the 20-50 range there isn't great mobility. Elementalist is mostly instants I believe but no stuns.

    Pets are okay. For mages the pets are half the spec. It's not some little companion that does some extra damage. Your pet will either be a tank that takes all the hits for you or a dps that does 40-50% of your total damage. Stuns and slows aren't really used, it's better to just have your pet smack anything that hits you to gain aggro.

    Harbinger might be something to look in to. It's the melee soul so kiting isn't possible but it has stuns and something called eldrich armor which has a chance to make spells with cast times instant. If you pair harbinger with the right subsouls you can use that reduced cast time to deal plenty of damage. The only downside is you have to be in melee.

    Almost everything attacks on the move so kiting is only possible if you have a teleport, run speed increase, a stun, or you're moving as soon as you get aggro. We are quite squish really so your options are either let your pets take damage, put some chloro into your build for selfheals, or just deal with being sqiushy.
    Last edited by MonkeysUncle; 05-29-2013 at 11:50 AM.

  3. #3
    Ascendant Inixia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    2,365

    Default

    If I had to make a guess.. I would lean toward pyromancer, great burst dmg, and fairly mobile at max level. Its very viable in pvp and it has a good balance of cc, dmg and flicker/passive shields
    Last edited by Inixia; 05-29-2013 at 04:49 PM.

  4. #4
    Soulwalker Nathixia the hell angel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    11

    Default

    Wow I must say that I find the forum and the in-game chat very helpfull! I always get great answers and there is never someone ruining my day with comments like "noob" or "look it up yourself, lazy". That is quite unique! (At least from what I have experienced)

    So thanks, I will make pyro my main ambition and then see what other classes I could use some skills from! Have a nice one, cheers.

    //Nathixia

  5. #5
    Ascendant ilex011's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,309

    Default

    Stormcaller has tons of CC like stuns, slows, etc. It puts out amazing damage if played correctly until about level 36 - then it drops off and becomes non-viable to level with. You *can* use it in PvP for the utility and CC but people will scream at you that it's a worthless soul, haha, so if you PvP, go with Dom past lvl 36.

    SC needs some serious love. It is so much fun to play, but just lacks the numbers.
    Faeblight
    ilexx: lvl 60 High Elf Necromancer/Chloro
    RIFT 3.0 incoming soon... get ready for some surprises!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thitizen View Post
    Helicopters? Tesla Coils? Skrillex?

  6. #6
    Soulwalker Nathixia the hell angel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ilex011 View Post
    Stormcaller has tons of CC like stuns, slows, etc. It puts out amazing damage if played correctly until about level 36 - then it drops off and becomes non-viable to level with. You *can* use it in PvP for the utility and CC but people will scream at you that it's a worthless soul, haha, so if you PvP, go with Dom past lvl 36.

    SC needs some serious love. It is so much fun to play, but just lacks the numbers.
    Thank you for the answer, however I did fail at understanding some of it. Since I am completly new to this game some of the words you wrote are new to me. For instance:

    - CC and SC

    I would be glad if you could explain them to me because I have seen them in threads before and not been able to understand them ^^

    Thank you!

  7. #7
    Ascendant ilex011's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,309

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nathixia the hell angel View Post
    Thank you for the answer, however I did fail at understanding some of it. Since I am completly new to this game some of the words you wrote are new to me. For instance:

    - CC and SC

    I would be glad if you could explain them to me because I have seen them in threads before and not been able to understand them ^^

    Thank you!
    Sorry, sorry! My bad, heh.

    CC= Crowd Control. Sheeping (transmogrifying enemies), stuns, slows, freezes, fear, are all CC. You'll hear that a LOT in game.

    SC= shorthand for the Stormcaller soul.

    Hope that helps!

    ps- please please don't feel intimidated to ask questions even in other threads if you don't understand something. Most people here are really cool. Some can be @sshats like anywhere, but we try to shut them down quickly. And if you're new, you need to know! No worries, so ask away!
    Last edited by ilex011; 05-30-2013 at 12:59 AM.
    Faeblight
    ilexx: lvl 60 High Elf Necromancer/Chloro
    RIFT 3.0 incoming soon... get ready for some surprises!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thitizen View Post
    Helicopters? Tesla Coils? Skrillex?

  8. #8
    Ascendant ilex011's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,309

    Default

    Dom= Dominator soul. Full of CC. Played well (meaning, not by me, but I just recently picked it up, heh), it is a BEAST in PvP, if you like PvP.
    Faeblight
    ilexx: lvl 60 High Elf Necromancer/Chloro
    RIFT 3.0 incoming soon... get ready for some surprises!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thitizen View Post
    Helicopters? Tesla Coils? Skrillex?

  9. #9
    Soulwalker Nathixia the hell angel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ilex011 View Post
    Sorry, sorry! My bad, heh.

    CC= Crowd Control. Sheeping (transmogrifying enemies), stuns, slows, freezes, fear, are all CC. You'll hear that a LOT in game.

    SC= shorthand for the Stormcaller soul.

    Hope that helps!

    ps- please please don't feel intimidated to ask questions even in other threads if you don't understand something. Most people here are really cool. Some can be @sshats like anywhere, but we try to shut them down quickly. And if you're new, you need to know! No worries, so ask away!
    That really helped, thanks! And yes, I have only been responded to in a nice and friendly way. So thumbs up for Rift forum and in-game chat!!

  10. #10
    Rift Disciple iceash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    168

    Default

    At the lower lvl's might be best to take a pet with you when just solo questing so ele or necro just for the tank pet.

    At higher lvl's as others have said Pyro is a good soul that i add just a little chloro to for a self heal.

    Dominator is my pvp soul, not very good at single target but can be a beast if the enemy are grouped.

    Finally stormcaller is the soul i just can't really get to work, while it's the one i most want to work, the idea off throwing around lightning, ice etc is really enticing but just seems poor compaired to the other souls

  11. #11
    Ascendant V1rul3n7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,343

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nathixia the hell angel View Post
    I'v seen several mage-build-guides on here, but since it is really indiviually depending on playstyle on what you might like to play as, I decided I would post a thread anyway.

    Well, I like to do fast damage, so it is important with as many instant skills as possible. I also like skills like stun or freezing (duuuh) but I don't really need crit.

    Pets.. they are handy, but not something I would choose before instant skills or a nice stun/freez. On the other side.. if my fellow players think that a mage can benefit from pets in Rift more than in other games than I will listen to that and think twice about it.

    I purchased Rift and Storm Legion not long ago, and as far as I have played I found it hard to kite in this game. Is that true or am I just not doing it right yet? So, depending on if it is or is not hard to kite then... if it is not teach me! But if it is, I would need my mage class to also be able to get some nice buffs or skills to better my endurance.

    That was that! Cheers!

    // Nathixia
    Easy answer.

    Pyrodom, perhaps with a little bit of stormcaller for mobility.
    -=[ Virulent - 65 - P100 | Harlakk - 65 - P100 | Ascaroth - 62 - P95 | Brahman - 65 - P92 ]=-
    -=[ VirulentX - 70 - P100 | Harlakk - 70 - P92 | Ascaroth - 60 - P10 | BrahmanX - 1 - P0 ]=-
    | VIRALIST: 65 |

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts