+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Looking for a newbie Archon Build Rotation

Default Looking for a newbie Archon Build Rotation

Hey all I'm looking to roll a Mage and I hear Archons all the rage since its needed but not popular, well that's where I come in. I suck at pushing out optimal DPS and even though I enjoy tanking the thought of leading a 5 man let alone a raid sounds depressing, the idea of healing makes me sick, so I guess that leaves me with support.

I need a guide that a simpleton or a casual noob can excel at and contribute, preferably ranged so that I can avoid cleaves and knock backs, from what I understand if a red circle appears on the ground that's the games way of saying AOE is coming.

On another note since supports do not get instant ques can you que for 5 mans while in instant adventure?

I noticed there was a guide for patch 1.11, and a few for a melee build with harbringer, but it almost seems as if every one takes it for granted that 2 years in every one should know how to play one.

Soulwalker

you can do instant adventures while being queued for 5mans, at least last time i checked

for archon you can also queue as dps since you will do enough for most 5mans given youre dps plus buffs from it

I personally use a 54arc/22pyro build since I don't raid with it and granite salvo is nice since rarely find a bard when Im using archon, otherwise if you want to raid use a 51/25 pyro

http://www.platinumorderforums.com/s...p?topic=4528.0

this guide goes over most of the info you should need for archon

also healing with chloro is more of a heal through damage except emergency heals, its worth a shot to try. I thought it would be horrible before i tried it but now I love chloro except in pvp where I get focused while my team ignores heals.
    Last edited by Kaoelith; 05-28-2013 at 03:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaoelith View Post
    you can do instant adventures while being queued for 5mans, at least last time i checked

for archon you can also queue as dps since you will do enough for most 5mans given youre dps plus buffs from it

I personally use a 54arc/22pyro build since I don't raid with it and granite salvo is nice since rarely find a bard when Im using archon, otherwise if you want to raid use a 51/25 pyro

http://www.platinumorderforums.com/s...p?topic=4528.0

this guide goes over most of the info you should need for archon

also healing with chloro is more of a heal through damage except emergency heals, its worth a shot to try. I thought it would be horrible before i tried it but now I love chloro except in pvp where I get focused while my team ignores heals.
    I remember Chloro being lack luster before lvl 50

Wow that's a lot of buffs/debuffs how often do you have to reapply them?

Looks like most of the debuffs last 5 minutes, searing vitality hopefully gets its duration increased from where it's at at lvl 7 I might as well be spamming it, so far the class burns through stuff quickly.

I'll try to make it simple for you.

You have 4 auras. These are 5 minute buffs. Share Vigour, Vitality of Stone, Arcane Aegis and Burning Purpose. You generally only apply these once, then you can auto refresh them up to once per minute with the channel Patrons Rage. Easy stuff

Then we have our in-combat raid buffs which are trigged by doing some casted damaging spells. Good news for you - they can be all macro'd into a single button which you'll spam to deal damage and buff the raid. Use this macro:

#show surging flare
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast surging flare
    cast Earthen Barrage
    cast Volcanic Bomb
    cast spark shower
    cast granite salvo

Or if you're not max level yet, swap granite salvo with pillaging stone and add the spells as you unlock them.

In respective order, this will buff the raids cast speed, crit chance, damage, run speed, and then Granite Salvo will be spammed and give attack/spellpower. But again, it's just one button to spam.

You'll also want to keybind Lava Field. It's a targeted AoE damage ability which also boosts the damage of those who stand inside it.

Now - all of those confusing debuffs/buffs you saw:

You'll need to debuff the boss with these three debuffs. Note that all of these last for 5 minutes

Crumbling resistance (increases non physical damage taken)
    Ashen Armor (increases physical damage taken)
    Lingering Dust (increases your cast speed)

(Optional) - Searing Vitality - to give you an extra 700ish health

Note that the first two are single target. In fights with multiple targets, the Bard will take your role in keeping up these debuffs. The bard has an AoE version, but shorted debuff duration.

Don't forget your 1hour buff! Archon's Bulwark.

Last important thing is your cool-down Flaring Power. It can only affect players once per 5 minutes(it leaves a debuff). It increases attack/spellpower by a lot, and consumes charge.

That's the absolute barebones of the spec. You have much more utility too. Cleansing, purging, mana regen, etc. An nice one but won't be mandatory for you: Power Drain. Basic charge toggle to boost your damage and reduce the outgoing damage of your target.

Anyway noob summary:

-Keep up your auras (refresh with Patron's Rage channel)
    -Make sure mob is debuffed with Crumbling Resistance and Ashen Defence
    -Buff self with Archon's Bulwark (1hour buff); Searing vitality and Lingering Dust(in-combat)
    -Use Lava field and Flaring power appropriately
    -Spam your damage macro to buff the group!

Simples
    Last edited by Soul sky; 05-28-2013 at 05:23 AM.
    Valery@Zaviel - Mage | Valzz - Cleric | Soulsky - Rogue | Introvert - Warrior
    Everything you need to know for Mage: www.valvalval.net

Champion

Great summary by val, the only things I'd add are about illiuminate and archon's bulkwark.

Illuminate is a 20 second debuff that adds 1.6k damage or so to attacks and triggers a maximum of once every 3 seconds. It's not very useful solo but it's very good in 5 mans or raids because it works for everyone. Over 20 seconds it'll proc 5-6 times for all 5 members and end up doing around 40k total damage. So if there's a single target keep up illuminate when possible.

Also as an archon the auras are a bit strange. They are very important to the party/raid but they actually debuff yourself(which makes them useless for solo play). Archon's bulkwark is a 58 point armor that counters all the aura debuffs on you at once. It's very convenient and you want 58 points into archon at first when getting used to the spec. Once you're more comfortable you can switch to 54 point archon builds or 51 point builds.where you need to put in a bit more work to make back the stats.

And also here's a nice archon intro that lays out the abilities.

+ Reply to Thread