+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fun vs. Min/Max

Telaran

Default Fun vs. Min/Max

I just came back to Rift a week ago from being absent for a little over a year. I'm leveling a mage of course, and my souls are: Warlock, Pyromancer, and Dominator. I use Dominator for the transogrify ability since I'm notorious for pulling too many mobs. I understand that this isn't the greatest build, but it's what I enjoy playing. I spoke to someone in game yesterday who told me to get rid of Dominator and use Necromancer instead as it is a better build. However, I can't stand pets as they get in my way, but I tried the build and didn't like it at all. So, I switched back to my previous build. I'm just looking for suggestions though, as I want to have fun in game, and I'm not looking to do hardcore raiding anytime in the near future, but I don't want to completely suck, either. Oh, and my mage is currently in her 30's questing in Scarwood Reach. Please help!

Rift Chaser

If you're enjoying yourself, play the spec that you like.

People will often give suggestions or insist one build is better than another; however, if you like what you've come up with and you're okay with how the leveling process is going (ie not dying a lot) then stick with it.

Rift is amazing for many reasons but the one cited most often it seems is the customization allowed in the soul tree. I wouldn't worry about "good, better, best" specs until you hit endgame anyway, and even then it really just depends on what type of gameplay you plan to engage in.

Champion

Yup I'd just play what you enjoy. The one area where I really liked necromancer when leveling was when facing difficult enemies. You can send in a tank pet, heal the crap out of it and dps a bit, then when it explodes summon another tanking pet real quick.

If your two main souls are warlock and pyro necro is still a good subsoul though. Two points into the tree you can get necrosis which is another death damage over time ability that works well with the warlock skills and you can go 8 points into necro to get flesh rot which improves necrosis. The playstyle doesn't involve pets, you just dip into necro enough for that extra death DoT.

Telaran

Thanks for the advice! I'm not dying very often with the way I'm playing, so I think I might stick with it. Who knows? I might change my mind at end game, but for the meantime, I'll stick with my current build. Also, since Warlock is my main spec, do I spend all my points in that and then go for pyro and dominator? I'm trying to do research and look at Mage guides, but most of the time I'm confused lol. I have most points in Warlock, a few in Pyro, and a couple in Dominator.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by cherryblossomgirl1985 View Post
    Thanks for the advice! I'm not dying very often with the way I'm playing, so I think I might stick with it. Who knows? I might change my mind at end game, but for the meantime, I'll stick with my current build. Also, since Warlock is my main spec, do I spend all my points in that and then go for pyro and dominator? I'm trying to do research and look at Mage guides, but most of the time I'm confused lol. I have most points in Warlock, a few in Pyro, and a couple in Dominator.
    Pyro is probably the best option at lower levels. You have flame bolt as an instant which is nice when things are still dying relatively quickly and as you level up and get a few extra points there are other useful things like burning bonds and flicker.

For the highest damage potential you wanna put 8 into pyro for countdown. It counts as a damage over time ability so gains benefits from warlock talents. And then you go into necromancer for necrosis. At higher levels things start taking longer to kill and that's when you may start considering to sacrifice some utility in your build for pure damage output.

+ Reply to Thread