+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Good Mage PvP Builds

Soulwalker

Default Good Mage PvP Builds

Alright I am having a REALLY hard time with finding a good Mage PvP build....I know Rift has really bad PvP as far as balance but all I really do is PvP when I play games but seeing has how Rift only has like 3 battle grounds witch aren't even fun, ill prob end up world PvPing. I have found a few builds I like such as Warlock-Necro-Arch and Chloro-Warlock-Necro but I duel other mages such as a Ele-Pyro-Arch and I get 2 shot. I need to know what a GOOD PvP spec is....I already know it just depends on the player and i need to just play with the specs until I find one I like blah blah.....but I have spent 2 days playing with specs and I can't seem to find one that works so if anyone could help me with a few build talent tree links I would really be grateful.

http://www.rifthead.com/stc/zcibzgtfuluRuuRrdzvxtoc0c
    Necro/ele build
    Great for taking out healers. Use your shadow revenant pet or your zealot. Most people prefer revenant because it has an easier time hitting the target, but I personally like the zealot because it builds stacks faster.
    A few tips for this build:
    Use ignite, it helps
    Spam crystalline missiles when your other abilities are on CD
    Use last gasp and essence link together
    Use mass grave and empty the crypts together, then build up charge to use bone frenzy, as it affects all your pets.
    Use corpse explosion only because it's a cleansable ability that will keep your other dots up if it's the ability that gets cleansed.
    Use searing vitality, that's what the 0 point archon is for.
    Take the enemy by surprise.

Cons for this build:
    You're squishy as all hell
    You have almost nothing to save you when a rogue or warrior is on your ***.
    You're mainly useful once every 2 minutes for 20 seconds

http://www.rifthead.com/stc/zcNxzesfIuusksgqfkvq0uzvm
    Pyro/stormcaller build

Tips for this build:
    Seeing as how almost every pyromancer ability is situational, the only thing you'll want to macro is searing vitality and countdown.
    Use searing vitality and countdown.
    Icy Vortex and Ride the wind are a good way to get away from rogues/warriors.
    Burning bonds and flashfire do not share a DR. Use them separately for maximum effectiveness.
    Pairing electrocute and rift tomb is a good way to knock people off of ledges.
    Use pyromancer Aegis. It's the 61 point ability for a reason.

Cons for this build:
    You're still a squishy mage.
    Despite your best effort, there will always be that 1 sin rogue waiting to kill you with his 1 button macro.
    Much like necromancer/ele, you are limited by your CDs.

Hope this helped a bit.
    Lockshock - 60 Mage R90
    Zeraxis - 60 Rogue R85
    If you need me, I'm on archeage now. Blight, on Inoch.
    Scratch that, it would be Blight on Thunderwing now, but I quit AA so I'm back as Lockshock on Vigil

If you are looking for serious mage pvp builds I would recommend these for different playstyles (pyro, dom and chloro are the ones I see more often) (without listing all the specifics in point allocation)-

61 Pyromancer- I would recommend this for mages who want to be the best all around killing class for mage, and it can do decent total damage in warfronts where players are spaced out too. Its classic strength is its burst dmg, but also has some decent escape/defense options, cc and mobility that helps it to be pretty well rounded.

61 Dominator- I would recommend this to mages who are more into total dmg or utility. It is very useful for total dmg and for aoe dmg burst, but dom also really shines is in its ability to lockdown key targets with its ccs and mana drains- this becomes especially useful in organized pvp like 5v5s where you can coordinate your targets better, and there is a certain Dom/Lock spec you can also build to further pursue cc at the cost of dmg. Meduza has a great guide detailing dominator with a dmg focus if you are interested.

61 Chlormancer- Chloro is basically for mages who want to heal, its the best mage option for this role, and it does well at aoe healing in warfronts and cleansing. However, its a bit squishy and multiple chloros don't stack well- it tends to fall behind clerics for organized pvp (5v5s). Its definitely workable in the avg warfront, if you want to take on a healing role.

61 or 58 Necromancer- Is a total dmg pet based spec that falls a little behind dom but with great sustained dmg pressure on its cooldowns. It probably has the strongest temporary single target dmg output for mages with its undead cds which makes it great at pressuring/killing healers or other key targets, and it has good all around dmg (mostly single target with some splash dmg from the mage pet)- so its good at giving a team momentum in fights when things lock up. Its falls a bit behind on front end burst though and isn't strong on kbs as a result, and doesn't have too many defensive options/ccs, it takes a bit of buildup to do dmg bc of the dot and pet based nature of its attacks (which also makes it vulnerable to cleanses), and it takes a bit of time to learn to manage your main pet. Definitely a viable candidate though.

61 Harbinger- Is decent single target killing power (maybe second?) and has some good escape options, but its a bit behind pyro for burst, and lost some popularity after pyro was buffed (it also doesn't have good aoe) Its melee based too, not sure how you feel about that? I haven't played it much but it seems decent and may be worth a look

high Archon- Archon is good support for a team in objective based or (larger)group based wfs. And it has a few tricks with point to point that can surprise attack a team with (like sneaking to the top objective in karthan ridge). It carries good aoe purge/cleansing, teamwide dmg buffs, and good single target hits too. But its not entirely impressive on the scoreboard, and most of its benefit wont' be really recognizeable to your team. Its a bit squishy, and many of its spells don't allow you to be mobile- although p2p, sands, and flicker (if you have it) give it great fleeing options.

Other specs? I don't currently recommend much else, there might be some potential with ELE or LOCK, but it hasn't really come out yet, and it would take a bit of effort to make work. SC is something that is falling behind atm.
    Last edited by Inixia; 05-26-2013 at 12:59 AM.

Inixia's list is spot on, however, the build that was alluded to is:

51 Dom / 18 Warlock ~6 Necro/Archon - Standard heavy CC dom build that lets you spam fear. High survivability, double purge option with necro. Best 5v5 build for a mage hands down, and the best overall Dom build IMO as Warlock Armor > Pain Armor, extra charge gain, health all outweigh the high point Dom abilities. Only viable mage hybrid build at the moment

Builds to avoid - 61 Ele, 61 Warlock, 61 Stormcaller and any and all variations of them.

http://www.twitch.tv/Screamoaktown - Live streaming 5v5's
    Skreamo@Greybriar
    <Wasted Talent>

Soulwalker

Default Soul Tree

Can you guys post Soul Trees for these specs please and I do thank you all for your input...everyone listed someone diff though so im still at square 1

builds here are fine i prefer 61 pyro rest in archon reason being is the 1% dmg per point in archon where other souls offer 0.5% increase which to me your losing alot of damage and passive dmg buffs are nice to (harbringer offers 1% per skill point but not worth the points in there use just for lightning blade.

http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree.j.../iGlliFlkyGy/S

There is really no right or wrong with a 61 pyro spec it is purely on how you play the build and utilizing skills when necessary for maximum burst damage and to rain havoc!

I do very well with this build topping most WF and conquests.

Marcros are also important dont over macro yourself i have Fireball set up with inferno and flame bolt if i am on the move,

I also have one with just inferno and flame bolt on.

tbh they only macros i use as i like pressing buttons and im pro but you will learn in time what to use at certain times.
    Linken
    Officer of Psychosis

Quote Originally Posted by lol r u mad View Post
    Inixia's list is spot on, however, the build that was alluded to is:

51 Dom / 18 Warlock ~6 Necro/Archon - Standard heavy CC dom build that lets you spam fear. High survivability, double purge option with necro. Best 5v5 build for a mage hands down, and the best overall Dom build IMO as Warlock Armor > Pain Armor, extra charge gain, health all outweigh the high point Dom abilities. Only viable mage hybrid build at the moment

Builds to avoid - 61 Ele, 61 Warlock, 61 Stormcaller and any and all variations of them.
    Can you please link the build for the 51 dom?

Quote Originally Posted by Lucieus View Post
    Can you please link the build for the 51 dom?
    He's referring to my guide:

http://forums.doyouevenrift.com/view...php?f=24&t=537

Quote Originally Posted by Valnak View Post
    Is this good to follow while PvP leveling?

Soulwalker

Default Thanks

Thanks everyone for the info...I am only lvl 44 and lvling as Pyro-Chloro-Har. I'm only into Chloro for Healing Slipstream, Bloom, Accelerated Growth, and Circle of Life and into Har's increased SP the rest is in pyro and I made the build for lvling but then I did a WF with it and omgosh I love it....but when I get to 60 while doing WF's I am going to try some if not all of the suggestions all of you have made....but I don't think Dom will be a good one for me as I don't hardly ever cc other than silence or a stun as WF's are so fast passed there really isn't much time to cc before someone else is on you attacking you as well but as for world PvP I think it will be a good choice when I am running with a healer but my LvLing build for when I am running solo, it something ill just have to try out......but please if anyone has a build they find effective then please link a build tree as well as a short explanation of the build.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by DeathWhispers View Post
    Thanks everyone for the info...I am only lvl 44 and lvling as Pyro-Chloro-Har. I'm only into Chloro for Healing Slipstream, Bloom, Accelerated Growth, and Circle of Life and into Har's increased SP the rest is in pyro and I made the build for lvling but then I did a WF with it and omgosh I love it....but when I get to 60 while doing WF's I am going to try some if not all of the suggestions all of you have made....but I don't think Dom will be a good one for me as I don't hardly ever cc other than silence or a stun as WF's are so fast passed there really isn't much time to cc before someone else is on you attacking you as well but as for world PvP I think it will be a good choice when I am running with a healer but my LvLing build for when I am running solo, it something ill just have to try out......but please if anyone has a build they find effective then please link a build tree as well as a short explanation of the build.
    if there is another chloro is your WF. dont cast Lifegiving because the full chloro's cant heal you with their LGV. The other chloro's LGV will heal for more than what you gain from using your LGV. At 60 i highly suggest removing chloro from that build.

also consider learning deep chloro, many WF's need another healer.
    Last edited by Mamimo; 05-29-2013 at 08:04 AM.

+ Reply to Thread