+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By sculti
  • 1 Post By Chaos Incarnate

Thread: Harb/Chloro or Necro/?????? for leveling

Telaran

Default Harb/Chloro or Necro/?????? for leveling

Im starting out a mage tonight but not sure if i wanna go with Harb/Chloro, i like the idea of the melee mage with a sword made from pure energy. But i also like the Necro and his pets. I was originally going to go Harb/Necro but i was told that that is just a really bad mix, and i want the pets to lvl with me or close to it (still not 100% how these pets and upgrading them works). So im just looking for suggestions of what ppl feel is a better combo for lvling.

Also having never played a mage is necro all dots or do they have some burst to them also?

The answer is more ??????????????
    worked great for leveling

put 8 points in dominator and make sure everyone in your GHR raid has Mass Charged Shield.
    the rest doesn't really matter.
    Last edited by sculti; 05-24-2013 at 01:33 PM.
    sculzilla - cleric - 4/4 3/3 5/5 BoB: Greenscale/Akylios
    You Listening? You Hear That?
    Do Something. Do Something.

Ascendant

with 0 points in necro the pet will level with you until around level 30, the soul has some burst but not until higher in the tree a lot of your damage comes from the pet so using the tank pet lowers your damage quite a lot. It is a fun soul ( I think) to level with, not the fastest killer but almost indestructible. If you can manage your pet well you never need to stop pulling mobs.

I haven't leveled with harb chloro but I guess it would be just as good levelling as it is soloing at level 60 you can pull multple mobs and kill them fast, you get an awesome sword of light and you can beat on your enemies at range then punch them in the face when they get close.

If i were you I would just try both

I actually leveled soley using necro elementalist from 50-60

I went 61 necro for fun and 15 ele. I chose only things that would make my pet even more insanely strong and there is plenty to do that with for 15 points. It made a really nice tank pet.

In addition you have a variety of heals already in necromancer to either heal you, your pet, or both at the same time.

Also AOE grinding is mega easy, specially in a ghunt or group with the shadow revenant and popping corpse explosion on a week mob followed by grave rot...AOE galore!!!!

Anyway its a fun leveling spec.
    Xenohart
    http://www.fractureguild.enjin.com/ | twitch.tv/xenohartgaming
    4/4 TDQ | 4/4 FT | 5/5 EE | 4/4 GA | 3/3 IG | 4/5 PB | 2/4 BOB 4/4 minis
    I just make it look easy sometimes. ~Daglar

They're both pretty good solo specs. The division is with the Necro build you have to manage your pet while in the Chlorobinger build you manage yourself.

Necro is a lot of fun; it's burst is around its pet, Mass Grave, Corpse Talon/Desecrate, and Empty the Crypts (zombie apocalypse) Not to mention with Essence Link you have a decent life return (along with Soul Purge) and the pet is pretty sturdy.

So far with Chlorobinger I hardly ever fall below 80% life, they get a good amount of self-healing through Veil and Reaper/Luminous blade (Lucent Slash+NF spam for AoE= lots of healing). Not to mention they have decent damage mitigation via Essence of Wind and Planar Shield. (Getting hit restores health if talented) There is a guide for both specs in the Mage Guide sub forums.

All in all, both are pretty good solo-specs and are preferential; do you like being ranged and summon zombies to feast on your foes, or would you rather run in and chop off heads with magical weaponry? IMO, I find Chlorobinger to be more fun than Necro.

Telaran

actually right now im am going with an absolute MMO no no, im doing what i want and not what is theorycrafted to be the best or tested to be the best. I think Harb is really cool, and i like the whole undead pet thing from necro. So im lvling with a necro/harb build, it might not be the highest dps, right now (lvl 18) im a little squishy, but im having fun. i send my knight in then run in while casting instants, and slash the hell out of my target. like i said i know its not the "best" at this or "best" at that but damn if im not having a blast playing it.the overall plan is to get 20 points in necro for the greater pets and the rest into harb.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos Incarnate View Post
    actually right now im am going with an absolute MMO no no, im doing what i want and not what is theorycrafted to be the best or tested to be the best. I think Harb is really cool, and i like the whole undead pet thing from necro. So im lvling with a necro/harb build, it might not be the highest dps, right now (lvl 18) im a little squishy, but im having fun. i send my knight in then run in while casting instants, and slash the hell out of my target. like i said i know its not the "best" at this or "best" at that but damn if im not having a blast playing it.the overall plan is to get 20 points in necro for the greater pets and the rest into harb.
    lol, why do people even ask for advice here?

"I'm going to ignore all advice and not use the easiest, best leveling build while also ignoring a decent, slower one, and use a ****ty combination of the two I threw together because this is Rift, the game with the lowest skilled player base of all time, and nothing here makes sense. I also cannot wait to join you in that pug FT/EE raid and do 4k dps, while also playing my Necroharb in pvp as your teammate where I will ignore target marks, back pedal, and complain about not getting heals."

http://www.twitch.tv/Screamoaktown - Live streaming 5v5's
    Skreamo@Greybriar
    <Wasted Talent>

Telaran

i think your name is fitting, i think you should ask that of yourself. Im sorry that i asked a question then, after the fact, i decided to do what i want. i never said that i was going to stay this when it comes to raids/pugs and i dont pvp. so i ask you,

YOU MAD BRAH!?!?!?!?

You're leveling- play what you like and have fun. There is no problem with coming to the forums to ask questions. No worries.
    Faeblight
    ilexx: lvl 60 High Elf Necromancer/Chloro
    RIFT 3.0 incoming soon... get ready for some surprises!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thitizen View Post
    Helicopters? Tesla Coils? Skrillex?

Im starting out a mage tonight but not sure if i wanna go with Harb/Chloro, i like the idea of the melee mage with a sword made from pure energy. But i also like the Necro and his pets. I was originally going to go Harb/Necro but i was told that that is just a really bad mix, and i want the pets to lvl with me or close to it (still not 100% how these pets and upgrading them works). So im just looking for suggestions of what ppl feel is a better combo for lvling.
    In Screamo's defence, you did ask for suggestions for a better leveling build which you received but then somehow decided to ignore. It is somewhat... odd.. to ask for improvements that could greatly benefit you and instead make something that will be very mediocre at higher levels. It kinda backfires the purpose of your initial thread.
    Last Dawn @ Zaviel
    Shifthappens - 50 Cleric || Omfgkittens - 60 Mage

i think your name is fitting, i think you should ask that of yourself. Im sorry that i asked a question then, after the fact, i decided to do what i want. i never said that i was going to stay this when it comes to raids/pugs and i dont pvp. so i ask you,

YOU MAD BRAH!?!?!?!?
    Please continue not pvp'ing, so that I may never have to carry you on my team.

Anyway, your idiotic nonsense aside I will tell you exactly what is wrong with your thread, as well as the other 8 or so "advice" threads that have popped up in the last week.

There is a sizable number of people who read the forums here but do not post on them. A huge amount actually, confirmed by Daglar multiple times. The people who actually write things here are just the most obnoxious or opinionated of us (myself included). The problem with your post, and the ones like it, is you are giving the new players, and the post readers the false impression that you are doing something right in this game, when in reality you couldn't be more wrong.

This sets people up for failure, it doesn't prepare them for level 60 content, and creates the skilless, bad player base we currently have. A perfect example, from a PvE perspective is the how many decent, hardcore, or semi hardcore guilds have difficulty recruiting for end game content. I have discussed this with many other guilds, and it stems from the fact that the Rift player base, as a whole is just not very good, using bad builds, and has no idea what it takes to competitively raid in this game.

You may not think that your post directly attributes to this, but it actually does. I went through a period where every mage applicant I got, listed "Necro/Ele" as their main DPS spec. At the time when pyroharb, and Warlock were far, far superior. This was because this forum, and the guides section in particular got it in people's heads that Necro/ele was a good spec, because of the echo chamber of bad players telling people it was viable. It was also easy, and could pad It's numbers with AOE. Anyway, it's not a good spec, and every time you post, giving peopel the false impression that something like necroharb is the right way to play because It's fun", you spread the idea that any build in this game is good, and or viable, when in reality there are very, very few viable builds in this game for end game content, unless you want to be endlessly frustrated.

I simply do not want new players to be frustrated, and ill prepared for 60 content because these are all potential recruits that the raiding guilds will eventually need for this game to survive, and if you're already making bad choices for levelling builds, I can assume you will make bad choices for raiding builds. That's fine, just don't give other players the impression that what you're doing is viable.
    Last edited by lol r u mad; 05-26-2013 at 06:50 PM.

http://www.twitch.tv/Screamoaktown - Live streaming 5v5's
    Skreamo@Greybriar
    <Wasted Talent>

Plane Touched

What the hell is the OP's problem? He thinks he can come here and ask for advice, and then decide he wants to play a more "fun" spec? That's not how it's done son. This game is about being the best, and winning, not fun. When you are solo leveling you should not be concerned with how to enjoy the game the way you want to. No, you need to be playing the best specs possible, so you can WIN. Fun is for losers, just ask lol r u mad, he hasn't had fun plying this game in over a year, but he's winning.

Also I can see why everyone gets upset with you that you don't follow their pro advice when you ask for a few tips. These people are very important people, with very busy lives, they don't have time for games. You should be honored that they would even take the time to offer assistance.

I apologize on the behalf of the OP, for him trying to actually enjoy the game how he wants, he will learn soon that that is unacceptable.
    Last edited by Dreezie; 05-26-2013 at 08:04 PM.
    World first Intrepid Drowned Halls!! WINING 4/4 2/3 2/5

Telaran

actually right now im am going with an absolute MMO no no, im doing what i want and not what is theorycrafted to be the best or tested to be the best.
    like i said ^^^^^^ heaven forbid someone try to enjoy an MMO. I mean how do the best specs get discovered other then ppl playing around and trying new things, im sure necroharb has more then likely been tried before, and if you are a player who cant learn multiple play styles and it takes you 1-cap to be effective at your spec you need to ether play another style of game or just not play all together.

I guess in the long run i should never had asked a question in the first place.

Lol r u mad says i cause a problem with new players, but having an attitude like his would cause ppl to not wanna play a game b/c they think the community is filled with a holes and elitists.

Quote Originally Posted by sculti View Post
    The answer is more ??????????????
    worked great for leveling

put 8 points in dominator and make sure everyone in your GHR raid has Mass Charged Shield.
    the rest doesn't really matter.
    Wooo harry potter

OT: i leveld with both necro/ele and har/chloro

Telaran

to add more fuel to the fire i now have a necro/pyro spec is that a good one too?

+ Reply to Thread