+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Chloro Targeting

Default Chloro Targeting

Im a noob and came from WoW, priest healer...

I have a question on chloro mages, I specd into it last night and starting sorting through my spells (lvl24). While testing in PVP matches I was very confused, I guess I dont understand how the healing works.

Comming from WoW I needed to select a target and cast a healing spell, one spell I had in wow I would target a mob and attack it with the spell and the nearest player would get healed, however that was not the normal spell. It wasnt the normal spell to use because you have to be able to target who actually needs the healing.

From what I can tell I don't really have any targeted healing spells, is that correct? Also how do I determine where my heals will go, are they all smart heals, are they AOE off my target or off me or what?

Thanks for any help getting me to wrap my mind around things.

Chloro does have some targeted heals. However the majority of your healing comes from Veils. Lifegiving and Lifebound veil cause each attack to heal nearby party members, up to 5 for Lifebound or 10 for Lifegiving. It is a smart target, it will heal the lowest health nearby players. Life damage spells (such as those in Chloro) do more healing than other spells. If you want to heal a targeted player, take a look at Bloom for low levels. Later on, you can pick up Synthesis to use with Lifebound Veil but that isn't really effective until the level 40-50 range. This will cause your veil to do extra heals on the Synth'd target, especially when used with abilities such as Void Life that have a bonus to Synth heals. You also pick up additional targeted heals higher up, such as Resurgence, Healing Torrent, and Natural Healing.
    Last edited by TheGrinnz; 05-20-2013 at 10:28 AM.

First, love the penguin...thanks for the reply.

So it sounds like the healz are mostly smart healz, but how do I know which people the heal will affect? Does the healing radiate from the MOB that Im attacking? The reason I ask is in PVP when I was attepting to heal, I would throw synth on someone and then try to target them and cast my dmg/heal spells but wasnt sure if I was actually healing that person. Just didnt feel like I was a healer?

At any rate I think I understand and it doesn't sound like Mages should be healing or Im just too used to direct healing
    Last edited by Tukini; 05-20-2013 at 12:17 PM.

To answer your question about where your heals go, any heals from lifegiving veil(aka via using life damage spells) will be in a 30m aoe from your location(as long as you took 3/3 Empowered Veil). Synth targets get healed as long as you do damage in range of them, target doesn't matter.

Spells like Bloom and Resurgence are targeted(like Flash Heal or Renew) and spells like Flourish are target based aoes(like Prayer of Healing, though no party restrictions). I can't recall the exact range on the aoe radius of Flourish(the casting range is 30), but it should be a bit smaller, like 10-15m radius.

Wild Growth(think Paladin's Holy Radiance, but not target-able, pbaoe) is 25m radius.

Withering Vine triggers lifegiving or lifebound veil and then also heals those within 20m additionally over time.

Natural Splender is a channel(think Penance on crack, that aoes off the target) that procs lifegiving or lifebound veil every second and will additonally aoe mobs around the target within 10-15m(?) maybe smaller procing the veils. Allies within 20m of the Natural Splender cast also gain additional veil procs every second, it's a 2min cd for a reason, lol.

Nature's Fury bounces in a chain off the initial target(think Shaman's Chain Lightning) that heals for a small amount each bounce, this is often an HPS loss, just fyi.

Void Life is a standard damage channel, think offensive Penance but heals. Triggers bigger heals on your synth.

Corrosive Spores also triggers bigger heals on synth, works like any other life damage spell but then ticks for damage/healing over time.

Vile Spores and Ruin proc one additional heal if you have the talent Nature's Corrosion. Only one even though it ticks over 6seconds.

Natural Conversion heals after the spell damage is done, think Prayer of Mending(though it doesn't bounce of course).

Hopefully that covers everything. Anyone feel free to correct me if misquoted the ranges, as the tooltips don't say anymore and it's mostly guess work, lol.
    Last edited by NotTrev; 05-20-2013 at 12:21 PM.

Awsome help guys, I think that should get me started! Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by NotTrev View Post
    Spells like Bloom and Resurgence are targeted(like Flash Heal or Renew) and spells like Flourish are target based aoes(like Prayer of Healing, though no party restrictions). I can't recall the exact range on the aoe radius of Flourish(the casting range is 30), but it should be a bit smaller, like 10-15m radius.
    Actually Flourish is just a self based AoE. The radius is somewhere between 25 and 35m. The only ability I know of that AoE heals based on your target's location is Healing Communion from Sentinel.

That is all good info, I know healing in the past, location on the battlefield was rather important. Having everyone in range and make sure you are using the best spells for the distance. So I appreciate you guys filling me in on that stuff.

From the sounds of things, you want groups to cluster in melee and cast groups so your healz will hit everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Tukini View Post
    That is all good info, I know healing in the past, location on the battlefield was rather important. Having everyone in range and make sure you are using the best spells for the distance. So I appreciate you guys filling me in on that stuff.

From the sounds of things, you want groups to cluster in melee and cast groups so your healz will hit everyone.
    In most encounters, you would have to actually try to be out of range of heals, their range is usually sufficient. However, you can much more easily have issues due to LoS.

these are my quick notes from the thread please correct if you see somthing wrong. Thank you

lifegiving veil/lifebound veil your healing stances [allows healing from healers life attacks]
    bloom - targeted quick heal (10CD)
    resurgence - targeted hot (10CD)
    flourish - aoe from healer (20CD)
    wild growth - aoe hot from healer (60CD)
    withring vine - aoe d/hot from target enemy(s)
    natural splender - aoe d/hot from target enemy(s) (120CD)
    natures fury - chain life attack [veil allows for heal] (8CD)
    void life - channeled attack [veil allows for heal] *bonus healing to synth target
    corrosive spores - attack bursts to aoe [veil allows for heal] *bonus healing to synth target
    vile spores - attack [veil allows for heal]
    ruin - attack [veil allows for heal] *bonus healing to synth target (15CD)
    natural conversion - direct heal activated once damaged fades in 30s (90CD)
    Last edited by Tukini; 05-20-2013 at 01:38 PM.

Just a note on Natural Conversion. It's not a heal cast on an ally, it's cast on an enemy and the next time they use a spell, it will heal the enemy's target (usually the tank). If you have the option to cast through target-of-target on, you can effectively cast it while targeting an ally and it will go on their current target.
    Last edited by TheGrinnz; 05-20-2013 at 01:42 PM.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrinnz View Post
    Actually Flourish is just a self based AoE. The radius is somewhere between 25 and 35m. The only ability I know of that AoE heals based on your target's location is Healing Communion from Sentinel.
    Sorry if you mentioned this elsewhere but Withering Vines sort of gives an aoe targeted heal. But the target is the mob that you put withering vines on and then the hot goes out in a somewhat smaller radius (10m?) from around that mob. And only three withering vines cast by you at any time will provide hots. Additionally, the cast of withering vines will proc a heal through your veil which will radiate out from you. The tics of this spell do not proc the veils.

Not really healing, but in the archon tree, cleansing flames is a ground target aoe cleanse so it is not necessarily around the caster. These are the only two exceptions I can think of for where aoe would be targeted.

Yeah Withering Vine and Natural Splendor radiate from the target, didn't think of those at the time, I was referring to heals that radiate off your ally target. And for ground-target, there's also Downpour from Warden.

these are my quick notes from the thread please correct if you see somthing wrong. Thank you

lifegiving veil/lifebound veil your healing stances [allows healing from healers life attacks]
    Casting Synthesis on your primary healing target (such as your tank) will auto-cast Lifebound Veil. Keep in mind that you may need to switch over to Lifegiving veil throughout a fight. The AoE group healing from your damaging life attacks heal for 3x more than Lifebound.

A mousover macro is very handy to have for Synthesis, here is an example:

#show Synthesis
    stopcasting
    cast @mouseover Synthesis

This will allow you to keep your enemy targeted, and pop Synthesis on your tank.it is very handy when you are bouncing back and forth between Lifegiving and Lifebound.

bloom - targeted quick heal (10CD)
    resurgence - targeted hot (10CD)
    flourish - aoe from healer (20CD)
    wild growth - aoe hot from healer (60CD)
    Remember that Wild Growth also gives everyone in range a 10% damage buff.

withring vine - aoe d/hot from target enemy(s)
    Withering Vine needs to be cast on each enemy seperately, There is little reason other than a slight DPS boost to cast Withering Vine on more than 3 enemies, past that there is no healing gained.

natural splender - aoe d/hot from target enemy(s) (120CD)
    natures fury - chain life attack [veil allows for heal] (8CD)
    Nature's Fury is a great AoE and decent to use on groups of mobs (3+). This is best used when you are group healing in Lifegiving Veil. If your tank is taking significant damage stick with your normal Lifebound Veil damage/healing "rotation". Nature's Fury is a HPS loss in pretty much every situation other than group healing in Lifegiving Veil. (personal experience, others may disagree)

void life - channeled attack [veil allows for heal] *bonus healing to synth target
    Void Life will replace Vile Spores as your primary healing life based attack. It will also stack Boon of Life faster and allow you to get those instant cast Nature's Touch spells off more often.

Vile Spores is still a DPS increase, so if your tank and group are taking minimal damage and you want to add to the groups DPS more, stick with Vile Spores.

corrosive spores - attack bursts to aoe [veil allows for heal] *bonus healing to synth target
    I think it's worth mentioning that this is the Chloromancers largest tank heal, your life as a chloromancer healer will get significantly easier with this spell.

vile spores - attack [veil allows for heal]
    Vile Spores is your primary healing life based attack. You want to be spamming this spell on whatever target has the highest health all the time until you get Void LIfe. Even then Vile Spores will do more damage, but will heal for less and proc Boon of Life slower.

ruin - attack [veil allows for heal] *bonus healing to synth target (15CD)
    This is a nice instant cast life based attack that can give some nice burst healing in Lifegiving, or Lifebound veil stance. Keep this handy on your hotbar and use it often, but don't waste it for DPS purposes unless your group is not in need of any heals.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

A few things to add to your list:
    Entropic Veil:
    is a temperory "stance" of sorts that increases your damage and healing by 10-16% (depending on your build) This will rapidly consume your charges, so it is best to hold off on using this until you need to burst out some heals, or need to spike up your groups DPS.

Nature's Touch:
    This is a long cast life based attack that does some pretty significant damage, and heals your Synthesis target for a pretty large amount. It is best to hold off on casting it until you have between 3-5 stacks of Boon of Life. At 5 stacks Nature's Touch is an instant cast spell at 50% it's normal mana cost.

Essence Surge:
    The Chloromancers Lay on Hands. Keep in mind it will only heal the target for YOUR maximum health, which is usually about half what a tank would have unless you out gear then significantly.

Heals over Time Fun!!:
    You can quickly stack 3 seperate HoT's on the tank and your group. By using Resurgance (ST instant cast HoT 10sec CD), Flourish (AoE instant cast group HoT 20sec CD), and Wild Growth (AoE 1.5sec cast HoT 60sec CD). This will rapidly heal your group and give your tank 3 different HoTs to add to your normal healing/damage "rotation". It's a great way to burst heal in the lower levels before you get Void Life, and Corrosive Spores. You can also throw in 1-3 Withering Vines, and Radiant Spores for even more healing. (Radiant Spores should always be up as it can be cast aggro free pre-pull)

I likely missed some things, but hopefully this will help you along a bit

flourish isn't a HoT

Quote Originally Posted by Dademore View Post
    Void Life will replace Vile Spores as your primary healing life based attack. It will also stack Boon of Life faster and allow you to get those instant cast Nature's Touch spells off more often.

Vile Spores is still a DPS increase, so if your tank and group are taking minimal damage and you want to add to the groups DPS more, stick with Vile Spores.

Vile Spores is your primary healing life based attack. You want to be spamming this spell on whatever target has the highest health all the time until you get Void LIfe. Even then Vile Spores will do more damage, but will heal for less and proc Boon of Life slower.
    Whoa, careful how you word things when you're giving advice to newer or returning players.

Void Life does not outright replace Vile Spores. Void Life is only an outright gain when using Lifebound Veil, due to it's bonus healing on Synth targets. With 3/3 Nature's Corrosion Vile Spores is a large HPS gain over Void Life in Lifegiving Veil.

Regarding Boon of Life, when raid healing, very rarely does an encounter necessitate a 1.0 or instant cast Nature's Touch to be ready every 8seconds while having such lulls in raid damage that you'd prefer to Void Life for stacks. Between Ruin providing Boon of Life and only needing 2 stacks to make NT cast faster than VS, or 3 stacks to make NT hit the 1.0gcd, there's even less of a reason to ever VL in LGV.

A more apt description would be VS is obsolete in LBV and VL is obsolete in LGV, they're more or less the veil defining abilities.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast