+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is an Ele/Lock no longer viable? (PVE only)

Ascendant

Default Is an Ele/Lock no longer viable? (PVE only)

Way back, end of '11 early '12 I took a Mage to 50 (well two of them actually), one Chloro/Lock and the other Ele/Lock. I found the Ele/Lock was more viable soloing harder stuff like the early Chronicles, HK in particular, and she was able to solo the stuff from that content. I never did any content added after the initial release.

I decided now was to time to return (actually entirely coincidentally to the F2P announcement) and level up again (various reasons, don't matter) and once again it'll be a Mage.

Thing is, I looked in the Guides forum for something to refresh my memory of the details (sadly of course Trion re-set all Souls so I can't look at my existing 50 to see how she spent her points) but I can't find a single guide for Ele/Lock; seems Necro/Lock is okay, and of course Chloro/Lock too, but Ele/Lock seems .. not done any more?
    Last edited by Kerin; 05-19-2013 at 10:52 PM.

Rift Disciple

Nope. //////////////////

Ascendant

What killed it?
    Last edited by Kerin; 05-21-2013 at 02:54 AM.

was never really good i assume

harb and chloro are the best now

Plane Walker

way way way back in the day, before crit power, before pvp souls were removed, before warlock crystal was nerfed... warlock/ele/archmage was hilarious

Archmage gave you 30% crit magnitude, and if you had the HK 4piece Defile gave you another 30% magnitude. Opportunity didn't have an internal cooldown yet either. so 210% Opportunity Lightning Strikes, sometimes followed by a few more monster voidbolt crits. too much fun.
    Mantissa@Greybriar 7/8 raid tiers cleared <Rekt>

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Taxt View Post
    was never really good i assume

harb and chloro are the best now
    Yeah, but I don't want a melee character, I much prefer ranged hence ele+walking rock, I never 'got' necros and their pets.

WHen I played before I was soloing the HK Chronicle for gear (I never raided) and ele/lock was the best/safest setup I had for it; seems like my time doing that content is over then.
    Last edited by Kerin; 05-21-2013 at 10:54 PM.

Shadowlander

I started my 50 mage in SL a couple of weeks ago. I use Necrolock for solo. It works great. Good mix of single target and AOE and I'm able to fight in areas a couple of levels higher than I am with no problem. It's a fun spec as well. Just enough dot maintenance to feel like a mage without killing the fun. On normal mobs just one rotation of dots and then spam is needed. On elites you have to reapply but there is a skill to do that automatically with a 20 second cd.

I use Necrolist build for ST fights in instances but the the aoe on Necrolock is way better for solo as is the survivability on big solo pulls. Also Necrolist is just too boringly simple: three buttons one of them completely optional.

I have not tried harbinger at all but I have a rogue and a warrior already at 60. I don't play a mage to melee.
    Last edited by angryglock; 05-22-2013 at 08:35 AM.
    Wolfsbane

+ Reply to Thread