+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Returning mage

Telaran

Default Returning mage

Been gone for almost 6 months, came back and realized a lot has changed. I have a pvp spec that i have worked out, but for PvE I am very lost now. Any one have some imput on a decent spec for someone trying to remember how to play again?

61Pyro, 61Lock, Archon(51pt variants) and 61Chloro are the only souls used in PvE now, outside of encounter specific needs.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by NotTrev View Post
    61Pyro, 61Lock, Archon(51pt variants) and 61Chloro are the only souls used in PvE now, outside of encounter specific needs.
    You forogt about 61 Harbinger.

Quote Originally Posted by Katosu View Post
    You forogt about 61 Harbinger.
    Nah, I didn't, sadly. Left that out intentionally, because it's just too far behind other melee and Lock or Pyro often duplicate or surpass it's results. It is used for stunning on Matriarch with some guilds, that's why I said outside of encounter specific specs(dom can also fall in this category depending on raid makeup).

Ascendant

Nah, I didn't, sadly. Left that out intentionally, because it's just too far behind other melee and Lock or Pyro often duplicate or surpass it's results. It is used for stunning on Matriarch with some guilds, that's why I said outside of encounter specific specs(dom can also fall in this category depending on raid makeup).
    I am not sure how well you are playing the spec given that we have seen 27k+ parses o Goloch, and the only thing surpassing that is Pyro and its way of extending the buff.

Harb is just as high as Pyro and Warlock in terms of ST.
    The issue is its AOE, and in a fight such as two tanking twins, HM Gelidra and Zaviel, you would be using Warlock over Pyro and Harb anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Katosu View Post
    I am not sure how well you are playing the spec given that we have seen 27k+ parses o Goloch, and the only thing surpassing that is Pyro and its way of extending the buff.

Harb is just as high as Pyro and Warlock in terms of ST.
    The issue is its AOE, and in a fight such as two tanking twins, HM Gelidra and Zaviel, you would be using Warlock over Pyro and Harb anyway.
    I know you're not trying to take a shot at me with that statement, but honestly I'm playing it more or less to the letter of what other top players say they're doing(val's guide, for instance) with little to no mistakes, so if you have any other tricks you'd like to send my way be my guest. I, personally, have never seen a 27k Harb Goloch parse(not that this should be the Patchwerk of Rift or anything) and if it does exist then I'm sure a RB somewhere is doing 30k. It's pretty much consensus among the mage forums, from what I have seen, that Harb(and Shaman for that matter) is well behind RB and Sin on ST fights. Anyway, It's hard to justify using a spec, other than for fun I suppose, when it "is just as high as" our ranged specs in ST.

Plane Walker

not all pve is raiding - this guy is just coming back!

Harbinger is very good for leveling, rep grinding, and general adventuring.
    Mantissa@Greybriar 7/8 raid tiers cleared <Rekt>

It's also still good in PvP if you've got a solid heal setup and don't want to be just another moron facerolling Pyro.

Ascendant

I know you're not trying to take a shot at me with that statement, but honestly I'm playing it more or less to the letter of what other top players say they're doing(val's guide, for instance) with little to no mistakes, so if you have any other tricks you'd like to send my way be my guest. I, personally, have never seen a 27k Harb Goloch parse(not that this should be the Patchwerk of Rift or anything) and if it does exist then I'm sure a RB somewhere is doing 30k. It's pretty much consensus among the mage forums, from what I have seen, that Harb(and Shaman for that matter) is well behind RB and Sin on ST fights. Anyway, It's hard to justify using a spec, other than for fun I suppose, when it "is just as high as" our ranged specs in ST.
    Mages just don't have a spec besides 50% Warlock that can come close to Warriors and Rogues.
    To be honest, its very disconcerting that its been this way for awhile now.

My issue with Harb isn't just the DPS being too low, but also the fact that it doesn't bring anything to the table.

Warlock can double cleave far better than both Pyro and Harb.
    Harb also doesn't have consistent burst like a Pyro, so while it can consitently do as much as a Pyro, ona multiphase boss it may lag behind since its so reliant upon Empyrean Ascension making up a chunk of its damage.

Heatwave is nowhere near as important for a Pyro as Empyrean Ascension is for a Harbinger.

Quote Originally Posted by drabk View Post
    not all pve is raiding - this guy is just coming back!

Harbinger is very good for leveling, rep grinding, and general adventuring.
    Yes, true, good point. I have a bad habit of instantly thinking raiding when I hear pve.

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto Jones View Post
    It's also still good in PvP if you've got a solid heal setup and don't want to be just another moron facerolling Pyro.
    Agreed, though I was just commenting on what he had asked for, pve.

Pyro and Riftblade are overpowered, it doesn't mean everything else is underpowered. I'm curious what Rogue spec you think is comparable.
    Last edited by TheGrinnz; 05-19-2013 at 09:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrinnz View Post
    Pyro and Riftblade are overpowered, it doesn't mean everything else is underpowered. I'm curious what Rogue spec you think is comparable.
    Pyro is for the most part where it should be, still losing to melee outside fights that favor it like Goloch. 61Sin beats Riftblade, Nb/Sin sacrifices some of that ST to cleave well, but not as much as Shaman. Harb is behind or *maybe* on par with shaman, but has the worst aoe in the game(other than Sin's non-existent aoe of course). If it weren't for bladedancer(who just got buffed btw, I wonder how that's turning out) it would be easy to say Harb is the worst melee dps spec in the game.

All of that aside, the fact remains that 61Harb isn't worth using in a raid right now, aside a change of pace. Your insinuation that Lock and Pyro need to be nerfed so that 61Harb is used is not the answer when you consider Harb's overall place compared to other callings. This is pretty much the same discussion that was happening in the pts Pyro threads, "bring the bottom 2-3 up or tear the top 2-3 down". If anything Trion has shown that they rarely do large direct, uncompensated, post-pts nerfs to classes at the top that are not related to bugs(chloro healing, early vk/rb, etc.). Obviously the way to go about it is to bring up the bottom 2-3, this means Harb.

If feel either your Rogue or Cleric needs attention, feel free to post as such on the appropriate class forums.

Pyro is for the most part where it should be
    I did read the rest of your post, but this is the point where I stopped and stared for a few seconds.

Telaran

Just now checking responses and thank you all for contributing. I should have clarified a little more since PvE is anything in the game that isn't PvE. I was referring to Experts / Raids. When I left I had grinded to 60 and have about 370 hit so just under what i would need for raiding T1. From what I am seeing my Pyro spec is probably the most useful for the time being. I was kind of hoping that since Pyro has been a crowd favorite since 1.2 that with the changes while I was gone something new might be useful like Elementalist or one of the "Hasn't really been used" souls.

Again thanks to all who posted. Seeing this many posts saying Lock or Pyro tells me that they are still (as they have pretty much always been) the best PvE Dps specs.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast