+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Chloro healing at lower levels?

Soulwalker

Default Chloro healing at lower levels?

I just got in to this game, and have always been a healer in MMOs, and have had good reviews of my capabilities. I think what I have always been very good at is the art of healing i.e. knowing who to heal, when, quickly. In a good group, a bad healer can do just fine, but in a difficult encounter or with a bad group, people will start dropping.

However, I seem to be having some difficulty healing as a chloro, especially in the bad groups or with spiky damage. I'm still only level 30, but my biggest problem is that I find that when mobs are dying too fast I'm not able to damage to heal.. and I only have my 1 real instant "oh ****" heal, with an instant AE heal that does nearly nothing, with the ability that heals the group when I need to use charge. Maybe I'm just not using the charge ability enough, and that is supposed to be the bread and butter. I am used to having a heal that is not on a cooldown.

So the question is, does it get better? Do I get to a point where I can have a heal that does not have a cooldown that I can use in situations that require several moderate heals thrown around in quick succession?

Otherwise I am thinking of just rolling a cleric, as they seem the more traditional healer that I would be better suited for. I do still like the idea of being able to do some damage and heal, when fighting big mobs, but I really feel like I'm missing something when there area bunch of small mobs and spiky damage.

Yes, it gets better, way WAY better.

When they re-designed chloros for storm legion, they kinda gimped low level healing a bit. Use a support healer if needed at low levels to get by in instances if the damage is too rough.

It is all well worth it at level 60, I promise!
    Those that can, do. Those that can't, write guides on the forums.
    Quote Originally Posted by TrionBrasse View Post
    In all seriousness, we don't expect everyone to still be playing SFP

Chloros get three other direct heals -

Resurgence - instant ST 6 second HoT with 10 second cooldown
    Natural Healing - casted ST heal with no cooldown
    Healing Torrent - casted ST heal with additional HoT with 15 second cooldown

Also remember that Ruin triggers additional healing on your tank. The cooldown is short and the damage high. Use it often on trash pulls for bursts of healing, don't think of it as a cooldown!

Yeah, a lot of your best stuff is deeper in the tree, but it's manageable at any level!
    Rahka@Wolfsbane

Chrolo healing at low levels can be tough to start with. Always, always be casting Vile Spores or Nature's Fury, even if the tank literally just face pulled the mobs I'd start casting.

I would recommend something like: http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree.jspa#fq/F9aivaww/ir2

Make sure the tank always has Resurgence hot going into pulls, and use skills like Boon of Life and Ruin to burst heal with damage or Bloom for on demand burst heal.
    Brynx <Myth> Mage of Seastone

No idea what low level Chloro is like these days, been years since I did it. But at max level Chloromancer is a very potent healing soul, almost certainly the most universally powerful in the game.
    Nope.

Plane Walker

I like healing as a mage. It's easy to be good, take more attention to be really good..the only area of weakness I see, is healing on the run..and most of the time you have enough cool downs to cover that. Fun class and yes..it's better at 60 than 30.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by CeeEssGee View Post
    So the question is, does it get better? Do I get to a point where I can have a heal that does not have a cooldown that I can use in situations that require several moderate heals thrown around in quick succession?
    Chloro healing certainly gets better as you level up but besides natural healing there is no heal without a cooldown that you can use per se. It's all about using casted spells like vile spores or natures touch to heal. The healing through these spells is almost always much more powerful than direct heals.

If you're looking to get more casted heals as you level up then you're out of luck. Not much of that in the chloro tree. But the healing itself in the soul gets quite potent especially if you use corrosive spores(54 pt) and nature's touch in a good way.

Quote Originally Posted by Crithappens View Post
    Chloros get three other direct heals -

Resurgence - instant ST 6 second HoT with 10 second cooldown
    Natural Healing - casted ST heal with no cooldown
    Healing Torrent - casted ST heal with additional HoT with 15 second cooldown

Also remember that Ruin triggers additional healing on your tank. The cooldown is short and the damage high. Use it often on trash pulls for bursts of healing, don't think of it as a cooldown!

Yeah, a lot of your best stuff is deeper in the tree, but it's manageable at any level!
    Essence Surge..

Ascendant

They destroyed lower-level chloro healing when they split the veils and changed Void Life to be the primary tank heal. At the time, the reasoning was that higher point expendture would equal better tank healing while hybrids would do better raid healing.

With storm legion, all that changed, but Chloromancers were left with just Ruin as a tank heal, with Vile Spores being a 2 second cast and Nature's Touch being a 2.5 second cast. This makes lower level healing incredibly spikey.

What I would suggest to Kervik is a 1.5 second life damage spell with low damage, but improved healing through synthesis available around level 16. This would serve as a tank heal until Void Life.
    Regardless of what happens, people will always be unhappy. Be thankful for what you have and always be constructive.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Poster View Post
    good or the best
    This quote offers insight into why there are so many perceived balance issues. To some, it doesn't matter how good something is; if it isn't the best, it isn't worth using.

Soulwalker

I don't really have that much of a problem healing tanks, for the most part.. except when there are trash pulls of multiple mobs. The problem I have is when poop happens and others start taking damage. Then I need to stop dps, which causes the tanks to go dangerously low, and then I don't have anything to bring them up fast enough as I am not dpsing (thus causing the heals to the tank).

It is better than when I was about level 15, when I started to heal, but still.. I find that at these levels I am way outmatched by the cleric classes. With them, they can spam their heals and don't need a target to damage, nor do they usually need to waste their "oh ****" abilities when someone else in the group takes damage.

I can see how chloros can be extremely powerful on raid bosses later on, but it is hard to stick with it as it seems like it is almost.. too much work in groups. Either that, or the tanks just don't mitigate as much damage as they should be at these levels.

I'm still at a loss as to whether I should stick with a chloro or a cleric.. I am actually levelling both and switching between them. Some of the advice on this thread is encouraging that it does change at higher levels, but right now it seems.. more like a support healer than main healer.

Plane Touched

The best way to heal dungeons at lower levels is to synth your tank, but then switch to lifegiving veil. This way when you are spamming vile spores, your whole group will get much bigger heals, and since your tank is synthed, he will get the bonus heals from ruin and natures touch to keep him up. This works really well, and if your tank takes spike damage you will have bloom to heal him back up. Since you are in lgv (lifegiving veil), you wont have to worry too much about healing up other party members too much.

And yes, healing at level cap is super powerful, especially if you actually use all your spells (which most chloros don't). So i'd say keep at it, hopefully it all starts to make sense.
    World first Intrepid Drowned Halls!! WINING 4/4 2/3 2/5

Quote Originally Posted by Dreezie View Post
    The best way to heal dungeons at lower levels is to synth your tank, but then switch to lifegiving veil. This way when you are spamming vile spores, your whole group will get much bigger heals, and since your tank is synthed, he will get the bonus heals from ruin and natures touch to keep him up. This works really well, and if your tank takes spike damage you will have bloom to heal him back up. Since you are in lgv (lifegiving veil), you wont have to worry too much about healing up other party members too much.

And yes, healing at level cap is super powerful, especially if you actually use all your spells (which most chloros don't). So i'd say keep at it, hopefully it all starts to make sense.
    Synth does not receive any bonus heals from LGV. Having someone synth'd and you having LGV means nothing unless u go to LBV. If you read the spell descriptions you would see that synth increases healing ally receives from your lifebound veil. And if you read ruin and natures touch, it triggers additional healing from lifebound veil on your synthesis target.

So op please do not follow this posters advice as u will just end up aggravating your tank.

Plane Touched

Ya my bad, I was thinking that the bonus heals just had to do with being synth'd, didn't realize it was only when using lifebound veil. But i do hear a lot of people saying to use lgv at lower levels, I haven't leveled a mage in a long time so just trying to remember and think abotu what I;ve heard. Sorry for the bad info
    World first Intrepid Drowned Halls!! WINING 4/4 2/3 2/5

Quote Originally Posted by Dreezie View Post
    Ya my bad, I was thinking that the bonus heals just had to do with being synth'd, didn't realize it was only when using lifebound veil. But i do hear a lot of people saying to use lgv at lower levels, I haven't leveled a mage in a long time so just trying to remember and think abotu what I;ve heard. Sorry for the bad info
    I will give u that =D u are correct in saying to use LGV and use spells like bloom to spot heal the tank if needed.

Another good thing to practice is veil dancing. Start in LBV and if you see the group needs a heal, start casting vile spores. As the spell is traveling swap to LGV very fast and when vile spore lands u will be in LGV and ur group gets healed. The same can work for tank heals. If I am in LGV and I see the tank requires more heals than a bloom will provide, swap over to LBV real fast, heal him up, and then go back to LGV.

The above may sound confusing, but its all in pratice. It's never a good idea to be 100% one veil if you can help it. A chloro is a very powerful healer because we have the ability to swap from tank heals to raid heals in one gcd. Use that as a tool and u will succeed!

Ascendant

The reason you hear people talking about using LGV at lower levels is due to pre-SL. As you can see from the tooltips, the healing from Lifebound Veil is very low. Synthesis acts as a multiplier, but at lower levels, when the bonuses aren't great, the base healing of Lifegiving Veil actually produced higher tank healing until around level 41. I don't know if the change to the healing mechanic altered this or not, as there's no way I'm going to level another mage just to find out.
    Regardless of what happens, people will always be unhappy. Be thankful for what you have and always be constructive.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Poster View Post
    good or the best
    This quote offers insight into why there are so many perceived balance issues. To some, it doesn't matter how good something is; if it isn't the best, it isn't worth using.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast