+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By drabk

Thread: Radiant Spores - Broken?

  1. #1
    Champion of Telara Alessar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,237

    Default Radiant Spores - Broken?

    I think Radiant Spores are to some extent, broken. I've been soloing a pyromancer with some chloro for self heals and I went ahead and put 3 points into Phytogenesis so I could infect a whole crowd before I started blasting them. I just do not see this power proc. In a week of soloing, I did see it proc 3-4 times when I was in a dungeon in a group, but not solo. For instance, I just was defending a wardstone, I used spores on the mobs right at it and then dropped firestorm on them. I kept spores up as new foes arrived and kept using firestorm along with backdraft and flame rupture and not once did I see a proc. I saw my crystal vine essence proc, I saw vampiric essence proc, I saw my lifegiving veil proc. But not spores, not one single time. With a 16% chance to proc, plus an extra 6% from phytogenesis on the maximum 9 mobs surely it should have triggered at least once; and I have onscreen messages with ability and icon enabled. It's easy to see a different name. I've also completely scrolled through my combat log on 4 different days I played and never saw it work. Yet, someone in chat said they just had it proc for them on a single target.

    So, what's going on? Phytogenesis breaking it instead of enhancing it? Reduced chance for AoE hits? (I'm thinking this is likely, earlier when I was using fireball more I thought I did see it proc.) Some other power interaction? What is everyone else's experience, I would really like to pin down what's going on here and verify a bug if possible.
    Last edited by Alessar; 05-15-2013 at 09:47 AM.

  2. #2
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    151

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alessar View Post
    I think Radiant Spores are to some extent, broken. I've been soloing a pyromancer with some chloro for self heals and I went ahead and put 3 points into Phytogenesis so I could infect a whole crowd before I started blasting them. I just do not see this power proc. In a week of soloing, I did see it proc 3-4 times when I was in a dungeon in a group, but not solo. For instance, I just was defending a wardstone, I used spores on the mobs right at it and then dropped firestorm on them. I kept spores up as new foes arrived and kept using firestorm along with backdraft and flame rupture and not once did I see a proc. I saw my crystal vine essence proc, I saw vampiric essence proc, I saw my lifegiving veil proc. But not spores, not one single time. With a 16% chance to proc, plus an extra 6% from phytogenesis on the maximum 9 mobs surely it should have triggered at least once; and I have onscreen messages with ability and icon enabled. It's easy to see a different name. I've also completely scrolled through my combat log on 4 different days I played and never saw it work. Yet, someone in chat said they just had it proc for them on a single target.

    So, what's going on? Phytogenesis breaking it instead of enhancing it? Reduced chance for AoE hits? (I'm thinking this is likely, earlier when I was using fireball more I thought I did see it proc.) Some other power interaction? What is everyone else's experience, I would really like to pin down what's going on here and verify a bug if possible.
    I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the proc of radiant spores is on an icd as well as the %chance, regardless of if you hit multiple targets. Additionally, many abilities won't proc from aoe damage, while some other things will. Not all is consistent, but this idea isn't unlike many other abilities with procs, so I wouldn't be surprised.
    Last edited by Constants; 05-15-2013 at 09:57 AM.

  3. #3
    Plane Walker
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    467

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alessar View Post
    firestorm
    firestorm will only proc spores on the first damage tick, probably when you were already at max HP. I believe it's the same behavior for any spell that does more than one tick of damage: only one chance to proc spores.
    Mantissa@Greybriar 7/8 raid tiers cleared <Rekt>

  4. #4
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,357

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by drabk View Post
    firestorm will only proc spores on the first damage tick, probably when you were already at max HP. I believe it's the same behavior for any spell that does more than one tick of damage: only one chance to proc spores.
    Does RS really need an internal CD? And not ticking on DoT. What the ****?

    Given the random nature of RS, I don't see how it would be overpowered without these restrictions. Is there a time in the past where RS was game breaking?

  5. #5
    RIFT Guide Writer TheGrinnz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    10,817

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nefelia View Post
    Does RS really need an internal CD? And not ticking on DoT. What the ****?

    Given the random nature of RS, I don't see how it would be overpowered without these restrictions. Is there a time in the past where RS was game breaking?
    yes, the entirety of pre-SL when it did not have a max HP cap

  6. #6
    Champion of Telara Alessar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,237

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by drabk View Post
    firestorm will only proc spores on the first damage tick, probably when you were already at max HP. I believe it's the same behavior for any spell that does more than one tick of damage: only one chance to proc spores.
    That could very well be the case. My character is currently at 50 and I think I noticed this lack of proccing when the play became blasting a single target with Withering Flames or Flame Volley. I've kept testing and I found if I just stood there and spammed searing heat on a target it procced about one in seven times (which still seems a trifle low with 3 in phyto, but not outside normal RNG variance). It IS a shame if it's not something that can proc on each of the hits of a channel, that really devalues the skill in my opinion and it's inconsistent with the way the veils work. In comparison, I have a rogue with a greater planar essence that has a chance to do death damage and heal him and if I fire off Rain of Arrows on a group of 4-5 mobs I usually see that proc several times during the channel.

    With the hp % cap in place, I really don't think it would be overpowered to let it check on each packet. I know it's been hard to rein in the tooltips for Chloromancer, but if it only procs on the first hit of a channel or if it does have an internal cooldown on top of that, it would be good to have that documented.

    Ironically I got the idea to do this soloing build based on taking a stormcaller with just 8 points in chloro. Since that character mostly spams forked lightning, I suspect the spread out spores would actually fire off a ton for him.

  7. #7
    RIFT Guide Writer TheGrinnz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    10,817

    Default

    It does need an ICD to normalize its healing benefit since it can be procced by any number of class's abilities. For example the Marksman finisher Rapid Fire Shot and Tactician torrents can hit several times in quick succession, whereas classes with slow casts will hit much less over a fight. However those excessively fast hitting abilities usually don't proc things like this, I'm not sure that has been applied to Radiant Spores though.

  8. #8
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    229

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alessar View Post
    Ironically I got the idea to do this soloing build based on taking a stormcaller with just 8 points in chloro. Since that character mostly spams forked lightning, I suspect the spread out spores would actually fire off a ton for him.
    You've hit on an excellent leveling spec pre-SL.

    It was something like this (currently ready for level 51):
    http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#ik8w/F9ag/gGgl14lkk

    Rotation:
    Use Withering Vines to tag all the baddies to come over to you
    Radiant Spores when they're close enough together to tag them all
    Forked Lightning until you have max Electrified
    Lightning Field until you drain electrified
    Replace Radiant Spores when it falls off
    Use Bloom for an emergency heal

    Nerfed by adding the ICD (previously RS could hit multiple times per second) and HP cap.

    Edit: FireStorm and similar spells only (Circle of Oblivion) proc RS once on the initial cast. Torrents are treated as multiple separate casts, and would be able to proc RS for each 1/2-second damage.
    Last edited by DisneyShadow; 05-16-2013 at 01:51 PM.

  9. #9
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    3,918

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheGrinnz View Post
    yes, the entirety of pre-SL when it did not have a max HP cap
    Radiant spores never contributed to a massive amount of healing pre-SL.
    If anything it contributed to a large amount of overhealing *useless healing).

    In theory it could be broken, in practice it didn't work out that way.
    Radiant Spores didn't save raids from dying, simply due to the nature of the procs chance.
    Last edited by Katosu; 05-16-2013 at 11:24 PM.

  10. #10
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,950

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Katosu View Post
    Radiant spores never contributed to a massive amount of healing pre-SL.
    If anything it contributed to a large amount of overhealing *useless healing).

    In theory it could be broken, in practice it didn't work out that way.
    Radiant Spores didn't save raids from dying, simply due to the nature of the procs chance.
    That is true in most cases, except for when you were doing insane things like solo-healing Sicaron or whatnot. Radiant Spores could do upwards of 30% of your healing.
    Regardless of what happens, people will always be unhappy. Be thankful for what you have and always be constructive.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Poster View Post
    good or the best
    This quote offers insight into why there are so many perceived balance issues. To some, it doesn't matter how good something is; if it isn't the best, it isn't worth using.

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts