+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Archon in PvP?

Default Archon in PvP?

I have never played an Archon in PvP or PvE but I am curious about it. What's the goal and playstyle that you use it for in PvP? Builds? Is it even worth using in PvP?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hailolyergory View Post
    All, Please nerf paper it is too strong, but leave scissors alone they are fine.
    Yours Truly,
    Rock.

Simply yes.

PvP it shines for cq
    Intim @ Zaviel EU
    Twitch Channel ,YouTube,Twitter

Its very awesome having an archon in pvp. The same debuffs you can apply to a boss can be used to cripple an enemy. Plus their ST damage is amazing. Just go archon pyro and you'll see the damage rolling in plus you have a crap ton of buffs to players.

Also if I see someone pummeling away at a healer I'll reduce their attack speed while popping powerdrain. That alone reduces damage a lot.

Not to mention the AOE cleans/debuff skill is priceless in pvp. I can cure the whole group while removing buffs from enemies at the same time...and its spammable.

10% cast/attack speed for the whole group and lava field and flaring power!= win. Also flaring power debuff resets when a player dies. So in pvp you can really use it every 2 minutes instead of five!

P2P I also use defensively. I see a healer being focused I pop it on them, it ports them to safety! specially if I'm on top a cliff or something the enemy can't reach.

Archon in pvp is awesome, but like all classes, you have to know what you are doing and the tricks and tips of each individual move to play it to its best abilities.
    Last edited by Xenoheart; 05-15-2013 at 09:46 AM.
    Xenohart
    http://www.fractureguild.enjin.com/ | twitch.tv/xenohartgaming
    4/4 TDQ | 4/4 FT | 5/5 EE | 4/4 GA | 3/3 IG | 4/5 PB | 2/4 BOB 4/4 minis
    I just make it look easy sometimes. ~Daglar

Gonna give it a try. Should I use the 61 point build?
    All, Please nerf paper it is too strong, but leave scissors alone they are fine.
    Yours Truly,
    Rock.

I use the 61 build for two reasons in pvp:

1) In warfronts you get purged a lot. Thats a lot of buffs to reapply and as an archon you are quite hurt without them. So a single buff to reapply saves me a gcd and gets me started on attacking right away.

2) I use p2p all the time in warfronts, and I use it correctly. My favorite place to use it is the following:

a) cleric is getting focus fired, pull them out of range
    b) the whole huddle of clerics just got pulled in by a tank...we are dead if we dont save them...p2p works for the whole raid so they can all get out in a blink then all the melee can actually blink in and drop AOE fears and crap...its pretty amazing when people use it like that.
    c) rogue synergy. We had a rogue sneak all the way up to the top in Karthan Ridge warfront one time while the enemy was occupied down below. After he came out of hide I cast point to point on him and the entire group teleported up, the enemy couldnt run back in time and we won destroying the final point. I have used a hide rogue to do this in codex before, as well as in whitefall. You can p2p the carrier. :-) Also in black garden too to get the peeps in the middle in and out quickly.
    Last edited by Xenoheart; 05-15-2013 at 12:19 PM.
    Xenohart
    http://www.fractureguild.enjin.com/ | twitch.tv/xenohartgaming
    4/4 TDQ | 4/4 FT | 5/5 EE | 4/4 GA | 3/3 IG | 4/5 PB | 2/4 BOB 4/4 minis
    I just make it look easy sometimes. ~Daglar

TheGrinnz wrote a pretty good Archon guide in the Mage Guides section:

http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...on-archon.html

Now, this is from a PvE point of view, but it's still worth the read. Personally, if you're going to set up an Archon PvP build, I'd use at least 5 points in Dominator, especially for the bigger pvp maps (ie PS or CQ). That extra 5 meters can save you from getting snagged by a warrior and/or getting focused by the other range specs that have 35 meter ranges. But this is how I personally feel about it, YMMV!
    Last edited by Ophelya99; 05-15-2013 at 12:20 PM. Reason: a word

Quote Originally Posted by Xenoheart View Post
    I use the 61 build for two reasons in pvp:

1) In warfronts you get purged a lot. Thats a lot of buffs to reapply and as an archon you are quite hurt without them. So a single buff to reapply saves me a gcd and gets me started on attacking right away.

2) I use p2p all the time in warfronts, and I use it correctly. My favorite place to use it is the following:

a) cleric is getting focus fired, pull them out of range
    b) the whole huddle of clerics just got pulled in by a tank...we are dead if we dont save them...p2p works for the whole raid so they can all get out in a blink then all the melee can actually blink in and drop AOE fears and crap...its pretty amazing when people use it like that.
    c) rogue synergy. We had a rogue sneak all the way up to the top in Karthan Ridge warfront one time while the enemy was occupied down below. After he came out of hide I cast point to point on him and the entire group teleported up, the enemy couldnt run back in time and we won destroying the final point. I have used a hide rogue to do this in codex before, as well as in whitefall. You can p2p the carrier. :-) Also in black garden too to get the peeps in the middle in and out quickly.
    Now thats the kind of utility I am looking for. I play Dom and Pyro in PvP and they are great at what they do, but I want to expand the repertoire some. Thank you kindly sirs, gonna give it a bang when I get home in 30 =)
    Yours Truly,
    Rock.

Plane Walker

All this and more: very high incoming damage reduction. fun to spec 10 ele on top of that and watch the dps bounce off you
    Mantissa@Greybriar 7/8 raid tiers cleared <Rekt>

+ Reply to Thread