+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Warlock vs Necro

Soulwalker

Default Warlock vs Necro

Okay so im a huge fan of Necormancer right now, i lose all of the pets and fun abilities like lich form, but at the same time i am an extremely competitive player and when i see other people (even lower level than me) blowing me outa the water with dps numbers i get frustrated... i really like the whole death/evil feel so im leaning towards warlock, is this a good idea, like will i do more dps? or is it pretty balanced between them?

warlock is FAR better. pure necro just...sucks. im in raid gear and the best i could pull with full necro was around 9k on a dummy. the best u can do for necro, is try necrolist. its mostly elementalist tho, almost the whole spec is macroable into stupidity. u do get to run with a necro pet and use lich form if its any consolation
    Last edited by Rodelis; 05-08-2013 at 09:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by riftmaster13 View Post
    Okay so im a huge fan of Necormancer right now, i lose all of the pets and fun abilities like lich form, but at the same time i am an extremely competitive player and when i see other people (even lower level than me) blowing me outa the water with dps numbers i get frustrated... i really like the whole death/evil feel so im leaning towards warlock, is this a good idea, like will i do more dps? or is it pretty balanced between them?
    If you rly wanna do more dps, then drop both

Pyro Pyro Pyro Pyro Pyro
    Retired

Necro needs alot of work to be viable currently, but im not sure how much interest there is for that from the community, so for the original question, Warlock > Necro. However, if you don't have your heart set on one of those, then a few of the other souls are doing great at the moment. Pyro, Harb, Chloro are all in good standings (not all together).

Quote Originally Posted by DaCommando View Post
    If you rly wanna do more dps, then drop both

Pyro Pyro Pyro Pyro Pyro
    Think we should release the super secret 1 key Pyro Dungeon build?

Necrolists eat your heart out!

#show Pillaging Stone
    suppressmacrofailure
    Cast Flame Bolt
    Cast Countdown
    Cast Heat Wave
    Cast Fusillade
    Cast Flame Volley
    Cast Inferno
    Cast Fulminate
    Cast Extinguish
    Cast Fireball
    Cast Cinder Burst
    Cast Flicker
    Cast Burning Shield
    Cast Storm Slash
    Cast Searing Vitality
    Defendor :: Mage :: Greybriar
    :: Trinity ::

Quote Originally Posted by SelfTitled View Post
    However, if you don't have your heart set on one of those, then a few of the other souls are doing great at the moment. Pyro, Harb, Chloro are all in good standings (not all together).
    The only way Harb could be considered a part of that list is in the sense that it is a strong leveling spec. As it is Harb is the lowest ST dps melee spec and has abysmal aoe.

Harb is still in a good place, the "61 Harbhinger build" may be behind in melee compared to others, but it also took an indirect nerf that I don't think Trion accounted for when Pyro changes hit live.

Whereas the soul (which is what I was referring to), even though there is a lot of solo/survivability elements chained to it, is still helpful, whether it be as a sub element to others e.g. for 10% SP, or 8% Movement Speed, Blazing Light, etc.

The 61 Harbinger build is also useful for situations like Matriach with stunning, trash before Regulos, etc. It also has a good short burst with Empyrean Ascension. However, you are correct if you are saying it is currently not a top competitive build.

Harb is still in a good place, the "61 Harbhinger build" may be behind in melee compared to others, but...
    I don't understand your differentiating between "the soul, Harbinger" and "the dps spec, 61Harbinger", because they're both exactly the same thing. The above, bolded, seems to be a contradiction, in my opinion. It being behind in melee to others is most definitely not "a good place". It's even arguable that it's overall kit and play style is even in a good place, as things like a) 1 button aoe spam b) clunky rng procs and c) vorpal slash benefiting from EA procs without consuming it d) poorly implemented dot refresh interaction all lead to an obnoxious, unintuitive and often boring playstyle. Harbinger survivability is strong, but a lot of this is attributed to it's synergy with chloro.

As for Matriarch, a number of classes have stuns. Many guilds now just overload on pyros and shamans(which are already there, regardless) to constantly, inadvertantly stun and burn her(back draft is a dps gain on two or more targets for filler). The trash to Regulos is a simple tank and spank x2 with an archon silencing the end of their casts, so I don't know what you mean there.

Definitely go with Warlock. It's a highly competitive single target spec and by far our best option on fights where mult-dotting is possible such as Twins, Kain, HM Gelidra and possibly even Matriarch and HM Progenitor depending on strat.
    Nope.

Think we should release the super secret 1 key Pyro Dungeon build?

Necrolists eat your heart out!

#show Pillaging Stone
    suppressmacrofailure
    Cast Flame Bolt
    Cast Countdown
    Cast Heat Wave
    Cast Fusillade
    Cast Flame Volley
    Cast Inferno
    Cast Fulminate
    Cast Extinguish
    Cast Fireball
    Cast Cinder Burst
    Cast Flicker
    Cast Burning Shield
    Cast Storm Slash
    Cast Searing Vitality
    i only see one MAJOR flaw with ur macro there. anyone who buttonmashes their macros will instaclip volley

Quote Originally Posted by NotTrev View Post
    I don't understand your differentiating between "the soul, Harbinger" and "the dps spec, 61Harbinger", because they're both exactly the same thing.
    I did specify in the post if you read it further, that I was referring to elements of the soul and how it synergies with others, that is a part of how a soul works successfully. The Harbinger soul and the 61 Build are separate from one another.

Self quote
    e.g. for 10% SP, or 8% Movement Speed, Blazing Light, etc.
    As for the fights used as examples. Harb was used by alot of guilds for Matriarch when progressing and still is (for those working on FT/EE). Yes it was used before because it was competitive, but it is still used now by guilds due to its ease of use and MacGyver-esque book of abilities. Stuns>Silences if we're talking about why they would be used over an Archon. You cant silence the auto attacks, and a stun will also stop that target from doing ANY actions (not just interrupting a cast). These were just examples anyway, not to say that it was required by any means.

TL;DR

Harbinger isn't competitive, but still viable.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodelis View Post
    i only see one MAJOR flaw with ur macro there. anyone who buttonmashes their macros will instaclip volley
    But would you really want to add ANOTHER key to your bar for Volley? I mean, that is adding a whole new layer to the build. If you want to take that challenge then i salute you.

But would you really want to add ANOTHER key to your bar for Volley? I mean, that is adding a whole new layer to the build. If you want to take that challenge then i salute you.
    yes i would, i alrdy have 2 separate buttons for lock on void barrage and persist. thank u razor naga mouse for easy access to everything i need

TL;DR

Harbinger isn't competitive, but still viable.
    My point is that because it isn't competitive, because it is in last place, it isn't viable. It's synergy with other souls means absolutely nothing if the end product is not viable. Let's not pretend it's as complete and useful as Pyro, Lock and Chloro; using phrases like "In a good spot" definitely paints the wrong picture. It's hurting for attention.

My point is that because it isn't competitive, because it is in last place, it isn't viable. It's synergy with other souls means absolutely nothing if the end product is not viable. Let's not pretend it's as complete and useful as Pyro, Lock and Chloro; using phrases like "In a good spot" definitely paints the wrong picture. It's hurting for attention.
    I'm quite content with Harbinger being useless, and I hope it stays in the gutter for DPS, and as a decent pvp/solo soul. I'd much rather see Stormcaller/Ele/necro become viable and as competitive as Pyro and Lock

http://www.twitch.tv/Screamoaktown - Live streaming 5v5's
    Skreamo@Greybriar
    <Wasted Talent>

You're paraphrasing for personal context (most likely my fault). I never said in which context I was referring to when I say "it is in a good place" (although I did use raiding situations as examples for its viability), this could also refer to solo, raiding, instances, casual, pvp, and a multitude of other examples.

It's synergy means everything, and it is viable.
    Capable of working successfully; feasible
    It's deeper synergy or stand alone build may leave you wanting, but it does not mean that it is meaningless. Almost every single target build takes advantage of harbinger in one form or another, whether it be for the the spell power, movement speed, dot, spellblade buff, etc.

And if you are referring again to a full 61 Harbinger build (which I am assuming). Anyone is perfectly capable of using this in a raid setting (which again, I am assuming you are referring to raiding, in regards to competitiveness) and it will not hinder the raid, it is capable of meeting any of the dps requirements for raid encounters.

You have to also remember that, although Harbinger was embraced by the Mage community as a whole, it wasn't necessary a desired implementation with the expansion. Most Mages played the class for the range aspect, whether it be healing or dps; pve or pvp. There are alot of other souls for Mages that still need some TLC. Stormcaller and Necromancer being two of the popular ones, respectively.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast