+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Nargauzius

Thread: Stormcaller: Is it ever worth it as main soul? Or for PvP?

Default Stormcaller: Is it ever worth it as main soul? Or for PvP?

I never see mention of Stormcaller and it doesn't seem to offer anything if used as main soul. I can possibly, maybe see some use in CQ, but even then why bother?

Does this soul have anything going for it to make someone use it as a main soul in a spec? Personally when I want AOE I use necro with revenant pet, and in PvP I'm almost exclusively dom which gives me AOE and fantastic utility.

I just see no reason to ever use this soul beyond a few points to support another main soul.

There was a time when Sc/Elem was a nice AOE build in PVE, but that was before Dom got changed to an AOE soul.

as for PVP, it is never. ever.ever any good.
    (The quality of AOE damage for SC relies on X-amount of stacks of ...) and in PVP (even MORE in CQ)...healers, hell even (warriors?) are spamming AOE cleanses... negating any effort you've put into build-up
    Last edited by Jool; 05-08-2013 at 07:43 AM.
    Jooliah
    Guardian Mage Faeblight
    Manumanu
    Defiant Primalist Faeblight
    Nordvegr

So basically the soul is never worth using. I don't plan on using it but I've been wondering just how bad it is. Yeah the cleanse thing negates the entire soul, and in PvE I use necro with revenant and the occasional possession for AOE, or dom if I know I can get heals and someone will deal with all the aggro I will generate.

Stormcaller is in serious need of reworking. An AOE soul should be the king of AOE in my opinion.

Plane Walker

The only time I've seen Stormcaller as being decent AOE is the trash right before Matriarch. Otherwise, there aren't enough targets in each trash pull for SC to shine.

SC is probably the worst soul right now. I suppose one is always going to be the worst though. I think it is an issue too much bloat. There are just too many abilities that do the same basic thing and with longer CDs. Also the 5 stacks of electrify only works out in very controlled environment where it takes a while to aoe things down. In most cases stuff dies too fast get your debuffs up to take advantage of them properly. Then there is the fact that any single target damage is just horrible. The soul needs a major overhaul and rework but I doubt we will get one soon.

I don't think I have ever used Stormcaller on any of my mages. Tend to use necrolock or pyromentalist for solo and much pyro as I can get for WFs.
    Seastone (All Defiant; All the Time)
    [Seven Sisters] Guera, 70/100 Eth Rogue; Perlita, 70/100 Kelari Magician; Gitana 70 Eth Drugs/Outfits/Rings
    Carmelita 70/100 Eth Rogue Guns/Armor/Runes; Preciosa 70/76 Eth Magician; Chula 70/100 Kelari Rogue Survival

I like it and enjoy all of the roots and slows

Default Yes and No

SC as a current viable soul? Oh hell no. I wish it were- it's really fun to play. But it does do very good damage in both PvP and PvE until you hit the mid-30's- then it drops off dramatically as to be useless. Which is a shame because it has a lot of knockbacks, slows, and stuns that are so much fun to use in PvP.
    Faeblight
    ilexx: lvl 60 High Elf Necromancer/Chloro
    RIFT 3.0 incoming soon... get ready for some surprises!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thitizen View Post
    Helicopters? Tesla Coils? Skrillex?

Stormcaller is not useful for any of Rift's content. It is good for making lots of pretty lights and sounds on dummies in our dimensions and nothing else.

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by ilex011 View Post
    Which is a shame because it has a lot of knockbacks, slows, and stuns that are so much fun to use in PvP.
    Well actually SC has zero stuns. And it`s knockbacks and slows aren`t very useful because everyone is ranged. SC has exactly zero spells to prevent someone from hitting you (no stun, silence, disarm ect.). All he can do is to turn RtW and flee.
    Last edited by Lokken`; 05-10-2013 at 03:09 PM.
    Live - Lokken - Mage - Unity Guild - Gelidra EU http://www.unityguild.net/
    Prime - Lokken - Rogue

I prefer sc over dom for pve aoe/trash. But it doesn't offer anything as far as pvp goes.
    Last edited by Inixia; 05-10-2013 at 08:14 PM.

Plane Walker

It was fun for blasting great hunts while grinding rep but now I just use it as a dominator subsoul.
    Mantissa@Greybriar 7/8 raid tiers cleared <Rekt>

Quote Originally Posted by Lokken` View Post
    Well actually SC has zero stuns. And it`s knockbacks and slows aren`t very useful because everyone is ranged. SC has exactly zero spells to prevent someone from hitting you (no stun, silence, disarm ect.). All he can do is to turn RtW and flee.
    I remember, back in vanilla, Stormcaller had an instant cast AoE root called Flash Freeze. While Static Barrier and that other one (can't remember, it applies hypothermia when hit) are OK, it's not good enough in PvP. Not to mention SC has little ST abilities that can actually be cast quickly and apply pressure. (Extinguished Fireballs for ex. are excellent!)

Electrocute and Raging Storm should always root the target in place because the channel leaves us open, or at least throw that effect onto Tempest Armor. Not to mention is has little to no damage mitigation, having to put points in Ele for not only our major ST spell, but also a shield, is a little odd.

What SC needs is a good root, stun and ST damage and it'll be fine in my book. If we can do mediocre damage with the main form of damage (talking PvP here) then why bother using the soul when we can blow up enemies as a Pyro, siphon the life-force as a Warlock.

To answer the OP; I use it when I quest occasionally and sometimes when the guild does Hellbug hunts. I wish SC had a little more to offer since it is a really fun and interesting soul to use; I love the idea of air magic.

So do I. I love the idea of lightning and storms and all that, but SC is just gimped. I generally don't like souls that don't have at least some use in pvp. I'm not concerned about it's ST damage, I'm concerned about it's reliance on electrified and hypothermia and it's lack of utility. Like in CQ where AOE absolutely rules the day, the mage AOE soul is gimped. And in most warfronts where AOE isn't a necessity there's no point in SC.. Even in pve I can use my necro and do respectable AOE and damage to multiple targets at a time with DoTs, or with dom depending on the situation.

No soul should equal or exceed SC's AOE, including all warrior, rogue and cleric souls, and it's downside should be limited ST and low survivability - an AOE glass cannon. That's my opinion.

+ Reply to Thread