+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dominator Could Use Aggro Management Tool(s)

Default Dominator Could Use Aggro Management Tool(s)

I love me some Dominator AOE burst on trash, but half the time I'm afraid to use it. Even / especially in TDQ, some tanks just won't hold off of me. I give them a few seconds before using the 30s cooldowns, and that usually works, but Mass Betrayal is often suicide at any point in a pull. I know all three tank classes have the ability to maintain solid AOE threat, but some just can't or won't do it.

I'd really like to see some sort of aggro management utility a la Saboteur / Incriminate. It doesn't have to be exactly like that, but something to mitigate the burst threat that Dominator can produce would be appreciated.

Could make it a passive like cabs threat reducer. Although, even 20% reduction sometimes doesnt do the job.

An aggro dump would probably be more practical.

Dominator did have an Aggro dump ability back in Chocolate Rift but it was almost never used. Your issues are a tanking skill problem, not your problem especially if you are giving the tank time to gain threat before unloading.
    Nope.

Official Rift Founding Fan Site Operator bctrainers's Avatar

I will be honest, this is what i do when i am on my mage alt:
    Do a 180 and run the hell away as fast as possible, hoping that the tank can yoink the mobs back before it kills you. Also using Grasping Void to hopefully slow them is a good idea as well.
    However, yes - I agree that dominator needs some sort of AOE damage threat reduction modifier for PvE. Maybe the 61 point could be modified to be a flat rate 50% threat reduction on top of everything else it does? Actually no, better idea...

There's also the chance of adding in some sort of tree buff near the bottom as a better alternative. As for the tree buff, do what Zinbik did on warden tree to make all HoT's have 0% threat generation at 2/2 buff. The same mindset could be applied to dominator but at a different tree buff.

Add it to Acumen. Yeah, the one that increases your intelligence by 2 to 10%. Make it a threat reduction buff as well, so it'd become 1/5 20%, 2/5 40%, 3/5 60%, 4/5 80% and 5/5 100% threat reduction.
    --BC

Too late to edit my first response.

Dominator damage was nowhere near the same potency at 50, now an Aggro Dump may have some use. Personally I'd prefer it to just be an activated ability that dumps a % of threat, ie bring back the original Memory Wipe. Ideally if you had a good tank you wouldn't need to use it and waste DPS casting it, but if you have a bad tank you may need it.
    Nope.

Agreed. The old Memory Wipe ability would be much more useful for the SL dominator than it ever was for classic dom. There isn't a single large aoe pull in Rift that I can't pull agro on from any tank or combination of tanks. Domi just has such high burst (150k+) that if you don't scale back and play it carefully you will pull agro. I've gotten skilled enough to manage CDs well and can generally avoid dying but that just pushes me into the realm of forced sustained AoE which is not what a Domi is designed to be good at. I even tried using the trinket from KB that reduces agro but apparently it doesn't reduce it enough. I would love an agro drop ability CD or better yet, a passive agro decrease.

@primal, give me any tank or combination of tanks. I'll give them 5 seconds to secure threat and then I'll pull agro from them. It's not the skill of the tanks that matters (although that can certainly help).
    Last edited by Frailaq; 05-08-2013 at 05:34 AM.
    Avatar by Rotaken on deviantART.

Well if the tank is a Paladin and knows you're blowing your load in 5s they establish base aggro then aoe taunt about 8s in, then 11 or 12s in they AoE stun and keep mashing their AoE threat abilities. Then about 15s in they make they see if they're going to hold aggro, if so that's great, if not they hit Life's Rapture and win. If they play Reaver they can pop two separate AoE taunts instead of Life's Rapture with an AoE slow + Gravity Void in the place of a stun. By the time it gets to 20s in everything is either dead or Dom's burst is mostly done.
    Last edited by Primalthirst; 05-08-2013 at 05:45 AM.
    Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by Primalthirst View Post
    Well if the tank is a Paladin and knows you're blowing your load in 5s they establish base aggro then aoe taunt about 8s in, then 11 or 12s in they AoE stun and keep mashing their AoE threat abilities. Then about 15s in they make they see if they're going to hold aggro, if so that's great, if not they hit Life's Rapture and win. If they play Reaver they can pop two separate AoE taunts instead of Life's Rapture with an AoE slow + Gravity Void in the place of a stun. By the time it gets to 20s in everything is either dead or Dom's burst is mostly done.
    That sounds like how I heal through orbital strike

Quote Originally Posted by Primalthirst View Post
    I'll ask one of our tanks to try following these steps next time because if it works it would be a life saver (if it's not literally and not figuratively, what is it?). As a side note, I almost always let my tanks know if I switch to domi and whether or not I plan to unleash the fury. Sometimes I would rather just clear content so I'll sit there spamming Forked Lightning with the occasional CD thrown in and maintaining a decent 30-40k rather than suiciding at 130k dps but it would sure be nice if I could find a way to stay alive while still dishing out that kind of damage.

Maybe I just have bad memories of the threat dump that Inquisitor used to have and how it never seemed to work, but given what I understand of aggro vs. threat they seem like they're doomed to be too little too late if you use them once you see mobs turning towards you. The tank still has to cause some threat (or taunt) the mobs to reestablish aggro, which can be tricksy (for non-Clerics) if the mobs are now halfway to me.

I think I'd really prefer a preemptive ability or talent. I think the idea of passively reducing all threat by 100% is probably too much, but perhaps just reducing the threat (potentially to 0) on self-hurting attacks like Mass Betrayal, Traitorous Influence, and Storm Shackle would work, since they won't do any damage if no one pulls the target.

+1

Fully in favor of something implemented, whether it be manual or passive. I find myself asking the tanks if I "can" go to Dom for any trash in any instance. TDQ is a prime example every week whereby my repair bill is purely from Mass Betrayal.

Perhaps I should set up a tab for tanks to reimburse me for their failure, to cover the costs.
    Defendor :: Mage :: Greybriar
    :: Trinity ::

Quote Originally Posted by bctrainers View Post
    [
    INDENT]Do a 180 and run the hell away as fast as possible, hoping that the tank can yoink the mobs back before it kills you. Also using Grasping Void to hopefully slow them is a good idea as well.[/INDENT]
    +1 for pro tip. This is what to do when you just popped a 30k dps mass betryal (especially in SOI Fortress event) and also pop storm shackle as it doesn't require placing so you can mount and run

I don't see how it can be a problem. If you run in a a tank is gaining aggro then hit all your CDs then what do you expect. It's best to take a deep breath, smile and click that AOE burst button and smile as you top the DPS
    Intim @ Zaviel EU
    Twitch Channel ,YouTube,Twitter

As for the running away strat, I recommend 11+ Stormcaller for Ride the Wind.

Quote Originally Posted by DegnaRed View Post
    As for the running away strat, I recommend 11+ Stormcaller for Ride the Wind.
    Lightning Wall + Arresting Presence typically mean I don't have charge when I need them. However, you can grab Icy Vortex instead which should help prevent deaths.

Quote Originally Posted by Frailaq View Post
    Lightning Wall + Arresting Presence typically mean I don't have charge when I need them. However, you can grab Icy Vortex instead which should help prevent deaths.
    25% less from 5+ Raid Level mobs hitting you in the face would probably still be a insta-death.

What about an aggro dump into Split Personality, whereby your shades hold your threat before you.
    Defendor :: Mage :: Greybriar
    :: Trinity ::

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast