+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Contaminate

Rift Chaser

Default Contaminate

I've checked all patch notes from 2.2 onward but could find no indication.

When did Contaminate start blocking charge generation and why?

Uhhhh it doesn't?
    Nope.

http://www.rifthead.com/ability/-48761057/contaminate

Dots don't generate charge but Void Bolt, Draining Bolt, Void Barrage and Consuming Agony still do.

FT 4/4(Conq) EE 5/5(Conq)ToDQ 4/4(Conq) HM 4/4 IDH 4/4 GA 4/4 IG 3/3 PB 1/5

Rift Chaser

Ok, pedantically "Uhhhh it doesn't? ".

BUT, I haven't played the Mage a lot since the patch that enabled charge to be kept out of combat. I do remember a month ago being able to run with contaminate on full time, but lately, It drops off quite a lot, and I'm finding that by not using it I have the charge needed for Mortality.

Maybe it isn't Contaminate that has changed, but something has.

Guess I could clock it up to another "need to re-spec after each patch" syndrome that has afflicted warriors for so long.

It is something you are doing differently. Applying an excessive number of dots with contaminate active will deplete your charge.

You should still be able to run with Contaminate on as much as you want if you're playing Warlock correctly and refreshing Dots with Persist/Void Barrage. If you're doing it wrong and hard casting Dots all the time then you may run out of Charge.
    Nope.

Champion

Contaminate has never stopped charge generation altogether. As Mayakov stated, void bolt still generates charge. In fact I believe that any spell that is not a dot does not consume charge per contaminate. It is only dot's that consume charge. To take this a step further, radiate death does not consume charge since it itself is not a dot (it's a refresher/spreader). I haven't checked lately but I think that persist and other refreshers also do not consume charge.

afaik, this means that dots will typically only consume charge with contaminate upon their first cast since everything after that is refreshed with persist, void barrage, radiate death etc.

So warlock playstyle could be
    + use devouring shadows before a fight to top off charge
    + cast dots
    + toggle contaminate
    + spam void bolt/ca/db and refreshers (giving contaminate bonus to new refreshers)

This allows build-up of charge so that you can use Empowered Darkness for the big kabammy (even while your dots are ticking).

Quote Originally Posted by smellwhat View Post
    Contaminate has never stopped charge generation altogether. As Mayakov stated, void bolt still generates charge. In fact I believe that any spell that is not a dot does not consume charge per contaminate. It is only dot's that consume charge. To take this a step further, radiate death does not consume charge since it itself is not a dot (it's a refresher/spreader). I haven't checked lately but I think that persist and other refreshers also do not consume charge.

afaik, this means that dots will typically only consume charge with contaminate upon their first cast since everything after that is refreshed with persist, void barrage, radiate death etc.

So warlock playstyle could be
    + use devouring shadows before a fight to top off charge
    + cast dots
    + toggle contaminate
    + spam void bolt/ca/db and refreshers (giving contaminate bonus to new refreshers)

This allows build-up of charge so that you can use Empowered Darkness for the big kabammy (even while your dots are ticking).
    Add to this: use Sacrifice Life: Damage for a damage bonus while initially applying dots.

Rift Chaser

Default Thanks all

Thanks for the insight into how to play the Mage better. I'll play around on it for a bit before returning to my Cleric.

I do think something over the last few months has changed because I haven't changed the way I played, yet the charge just doesn't stay.

It's no big deal really. I don't raid, don't spend hours examining the dps log and don't use macros. I just like to be able to stay alive while soloing the mobs I need to kill.

Thanks again for your input.

Rift Chaser

Default OK, tested and.....

Perhaps I should have mentioned that I don't have a 61 Warlock build.
    I have a hybrid Necromancer (stopped at Exhume) Warlock (stopped at Mortality) and am not yet 60.

This was quite viable before 1.11 made it impossible at level 50, so I just levelled enough to get it working again. The need to level past 50 for Necrolock to work the way I was comfortable playing it is the only reason I bought SL.

Had I foreseen that Trion were intent on negating the usefulness of any build except a full 61, I probably wouldn't have bothered.
    Last edited by Fiftyish; 05-08-2013 at 12:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrinnz View Post
    Add to this: use Sacrifice Life: Damage for a damage bonus while initially applying dots.
    You don't want to do this. It takes 5 gcds to put up dots, you'll be void barraging right away. With void barrage you'll want ED to be used. If you overwrite SL with ED you won't be able to SL after ED for 10~ seconds and your entire ED>SL>Contam>SL>ED>SL>Contam>SL>ED>SL will be messed up.

Best cast scenario is you start with 100charge, Contam apply 2, turn it off to get full charge again with the next 3, ED and void barrage.
    Last edited by NotTrev; 05-08-2013 at 01:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiftyish View Post
    Perhaps I should have mentioned that I don't have a 61 Warlock build.
    I have a hybrid Necromancer (stopped at Exhume) Warlock (stopped at Mortality) and am not yet 60.

This was quite viable before 1.11 made it impossible at level 50, so I just levelled enough to get it working again. The need to level past 50 for Necrolock to work the way I was comfortable playing it is the only reason I bought SL.

Had I foreseen that Trion were intent on negating the usefulness of any build except a full 61, I probably wouldn't have bothered.
    The build is still useful, it just has to be played differently. You can't expect the game to function identically after such drastic renovations.

Out of curiousity what is your usual ability usage like? Because I was able to maintain 100% uptime on Dark Touch, Necrosis, Atrophy and Countdown with Contaminate on permanently without ever dropping below 50 Charge, and your build doesn't even have that many DoTs.

Are you sure you aren't using some other Charge drain as well such as Elemental Forces or Internalize Charge? Or are you trying to apply all your DoTs to multiple targets individually while Contaminate is up? Because either of those could be your problem.
    Nope.

Champion

As a solo spec that uses mortality I'd guess one of the main aspects of this spec is putting up dots on multiple targets to aoe them down.

I'm curious where the other points went after getting exhume and mortality. Did you continue speccing into those two trees or did you try some points into a 3rd soul? If you kept going into those 2 trees, did you pick up any new dots? One new dot would have a huge effect on charge especially if that dot was defile which eats charge when it's up.

The other thing I can think of if you're using the same playstyle is that the time to kill enemies has changed. If you're killing enemies quicker it's less time to build up charge that you lost with contaminate. If you're killing enemies a bit slower and have to reapply dots a second time that will eat tons of charge as well. Hard to say though since I'm just guessing at a playstyle.

One suggestion I could give would be to go 34 points into warlock and pick up necrosis, expanded contagion, and neddra's essence. Neddra's essence is a great personal cooldown for when sh** hits the fan and you can use the improved necrosis and contaminate to save a lot of charge. You can apply dots with contaminate off to gain charge and then once the mobs are on you toggle on contaminate and spread the dots with necrosis. All your dots then gain the 30% damage bonus. It's an efficient way to spread dots to multiple enemies. At 32 into warlock you also gain warlock armor which is a slight amount of selfhealing plus there is a warlock skill which makes any mage armor give a passive 2/4/6/8/10 damage bonus.
    Last edited by MonkeysUncle; 05-08-2013 at 03:48 AM.

Rift Chaser

This is the build I use: http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#fgKl2iw/ek8KA8i4/F8k

Typical play style:

I will use Skelatal Zealot if killing level 58 or lower mobs (Kingsward, The Breach).

First I ensure charge with a futile Bloom or Devouring Shadows and ensure Contaminate is on.
    I pick a mop, cast Radiant Spores. This sends my pet (on defensive) onto that mob.
    I then cast Withering Vine on all other mobs I wish to collect except the last one who gets Life leach.
    I then run to stack on my pet, drop Grave Rot then Dark Touch, Neddra's Grasp and Necrosis on the last mob followed by Radiate Death.
    Then if needed, Bloom on my pet and refresh Grave Rot.
    Usually, one dose of Devouring Shadows will complete the carnage.

In Asura, when farming the level 60 mobs for Truehide, I use the Skelatal Knight.
    However if I gather more than 2, usually 4, I will need a third Grave Rot followed by Mortality and a final Devouring Shadows.

This has worked for me up until a month or so ago.

For soloing hunt rifts, one on one, an elete or event boss, I use the Shadow Revenant on passive directing it to attack as needed.
    Epidemic ensure I'll be able to spam Plague Bolt when not refreshing dots.

I rarely use Soul Purge but will use Vile Spores if Opportunity procs.

The recent problem is that I'm often charge starved when it comes time to use Mortality on the Ashora mobs. Perhaps a level 57 shouldn't be attempting this.

Prior to SL, I was able to have Exume, Mortality and Synthesis (on the pet). This was an almost indestructable soloing build.

This is what I am working towards at level 60: http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#f...ek8KA8i4/F8Sx0

Quote Originally Posted by Primalthirst View Post
    You can't expect the game to function identically after such drastic renovations.
    I guess one mans renovation is another mans demolition

I used to love my mage, but now the cleric defiler is much more fun and a lot more durable.
    If only cast@pet worked on the Beacon of Despair, but now I'm off-topic

Rift Chaser

Default Update

Since the last post I went out to gather the mats needed for the 3 weekly quests.
    I found that charge was no longer an issue.
    Maybe I was temporarily afflicted by a glitch

Many thanks to TheGrinnz for:
    use Sacrifice Life: Damage for a damage bonus while initially applying dots.
    This made a noticeable difference.
    I think that NotTrev may have a point, if I could fully understand it, but appears to be based on a full level 60 build.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast