+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need help/advice

Soulwalker

Default Need help/advice

I have tried several builds/specs and rotations and everything seems to fall short on DPS. My Harb Build I am pretty happy with for soloing, chloro seems to do ok, but is lacking. But my main specs are Warlock(Warlock 61/Necro 7/Pyro 8) and a Pyro Spec(Pyro 61/Archon 10/Harb 5) for Experts and dungeons. I have tried a bunch but all seem to cap around 4-6k DPS maxing around 8k if lucky(That is in experts and on Dummies). I am starting to think its not spec or rotation as much as Stats. I know they are low as I just hit 60 a few weeks ago on this toon. Here are my current stats:
    Int 1745
    Wis 977
    End 1171
    Spell Power 3898
    Hit 424
    Spell Crit 1788
    Crit Power 293
    I have some gear from expert drops and runed all peices. Any advice would be appreciated! Please go easy as I am learning/trying hard!)
    Voltorsfury-60 Rogue
    Galvanisti-60 Cleric
    Masterious-60 Mage

Plane Touched

I would suggest checking the guides section again, but really try to figure out what you're doing and what everything does. Lots of people look at the guides and copy and paste the macros and start smashing buttons without knowing what the buttons actually do.

I don't consider myself to be that great, but I just try know what all the skills do. I broke down all my old raid gear and just started gearing up again so I'm in basically in all blues right now, including a blue expert staff. I was pulling ~12k in pyro in some experts/dummies this morning. So with your gear decent numbers are possible, just need to practice and maybe revist the guides section. There is some really good info there that people have spent a lot of time putting together. You just have to be willing to read and try to understand what they are talking about, and then practice,practice,practice. Hope this healps a little.
    Last edited by Dreezie; 05-07-2013 at 07:01 AM.
    World first Intrepid Drowned Halls!! WINING 4/4 2/3 2/5

Champion

Sorry but the problem is mainly rotation. Gear plays a role, but with those stats you should hit 8k. I took off my core and put on a pvp staff to gimp my stats a bit, the ended up in the pyro spec at
    3870 sp
    1500 sc
    300 cp

Using a simple warlock rotation I hit 8.5k on the raid dummy. You are definitely able to do more damage than you are now.

The best way to improve is to find a good mage in game, say in your guild, and preferably get him in a voice program with you and talk about what you're you're doing and what he's doing with his rotation and how he thinks you could improve dps. There's really nothing better than talking with an experienced person.

Otherwise like mentioned above forum guides are the place to go. They tend to give you the more difficult optimum dps rotations so when reading try to prioritize what's important. If you try to do everything at once especially on actual fights you'll mess up even the basics and it will cost you dps. Instead focus on the really really important stuff and once you have that down start reading guides more closely and looking at smaller skills and strategies that add dps.

Take your two main specs. In my warlock parse I mentioned earlier all I worried about was keeping up all my death dots up by refreshing them with persist/void barrage, casting countdown every 8s, casting draining bolt every minute, and keeping up contaminate except when using empowered darkness every minute. Besides that spam void bolt. This is the heart of the warlock spec and you should focus on getting comfortable with this on expert bosses before worrying about the other 5-6 things that improve your dps.

Pyro should consistently get you 8k as well and that's actually really puzzling if you are not getting 8k. I can't think of anything else except you ignore internalize charge and are not using the 61 armor or you spend a lot of time thinking about what spells to cast instead instead of hitting buttons and casting whatever you can as fast as possible. In pyro if you just use your bread and butter skills flame bolt/countdown/cinderburst procs, mash cooldowns when you notice they are up, and use fireball as filler you should do respectable dps.

Soulwalker

Default Guides and practice

I read the guides through, have them printed out to revisit them, etc. I don't get it, I quest with a friend who has basically the same type build, trying the same specs and getting the same numbers. I will think about what you both have said and try to stick to basics for now. Just makes no sense, I was hitting 7k in a dungeon this morning but was normal mode with a guildie who is 58. Oh well, back to the drawing board for me. PS. i tried Valeryy's build first but was a bit over my head to start out with, haha, but will keep working on it.
    Voltorsfury-60 Rogue
    Galvanisti-60 Cleric
    Masterious-60 Mage

Soulwalker

Default Update

I went over your suggestions monkeysuncle, and I scaled back Pyro to a minimal rotation, I was hitting 7k sometimes 8k on dummies. I ran an expert or 2 and was hitting about 2k less, but watching for those pesky interrupts with a new rotation will tend to do that at first. I will keep on trying. As for warlock, I went the other way, and moved some things around according to Valeryy's latest warlock guide. Its seems to have made a small difference, so I will keep trying that too. I upgraded my staff to epic from the world gear merchant and placed a Sp Crit Hit +76 rune on it, wasn't sure to go that way or +64 SP but I will see how it goes, downloaded and am setting up the ACT parser, will test some things out. Thanks!
    Voltorsfury-60 Rogue
    Galvanisti-60 Cleric
    Masterious-60 Mage

+ Reply to Thread