+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Leveling a harbinger/chloro, need help please.

Soulwalker

Default Leveling a harbinger/chloro, need help please.

(accidentally posted this on another forum first, whoops )

I've played up to level 22 so far, I'm like 16 harb/xx chloro/0 stormcaller or something and I'm not exactly sure if I'm playing right. Because I've read that I'm supposed to have really high survivability and even playing duo with my girlfriend (she's playing some kind of warrior combo which strangely enough has no taunting aside from a pull so the aggro is always on me) I do end up dying (especially when I get more than 2 or so mobs on me) and I just don't know what exactly it is about this class that's supposed to make me survivable. any help/advice/exact builds/rotations/etc would be IMMENSELY helpful and appreciated!

thanks guys.

i think the first thing you wanna do is have enough points into chloro for instant bloom which is 8 points, make sure to have the heal veil up too. drop the stormcaller sub soul and use ele as your sub soul which gives you a tanking pet that you can use.

First off, spec matters. To be a viable soloing spec you have to put points into the right places otherwise you'll just end up with a dps build with a few heals (which won't be enough to make soloing easy). Personally, I have my doubts as to whether or not the harb/chloro build would be viable at as low a level as 22 but if it is then you'll probably want something like this (yeah, yeah... it's 23).

Explanation:
    0 point Stormcaller is pretty terrible for this build. 2 target Forked Lightning and a knockback that you won't want to use because you're primarily melee means it's not giving you anything you'll want to use. Go 0 Archon to at least get Searing Vitality for a decent HP boost and later on a bit more damage. *edit - zasen had another viable option with going 0 Ele.

Chloro - you need 8 points in Chloro at least for Natural Awareness, Bloom, and Healing Slipstream but I usually recommend 9 to 16 points. 9 will make your Vile Spores proc a second heal and since you'll be using VS every time your Eldritch Armor procs that can be a decent boost. Don't bother putting more than 1 point into Nature's Corrosion though as it won't give you any more heals. Later on you'll probably want 16 Chloro to get Nature's Touch which hits like a truck and provides a hefty heal. If you're soloing, ignore Empowered Veil but if you like to duo or group up while questing then I'd grab it on your path to 16 points.

Harbinger - Think of yourself as a soloist rather than a dps and grab talents for survival. Increase Dodge and Parry and then grab Lightning Riposte and watch the passive dps just roll in. Disabling Shock is incredibly useful while soloing - use it on a ranged mob while you close or just use it while you're picking up an artifact or a crafting mat.

Btw, I don't think I'd choose harb/chloro until at least level 40ish. I'm pretty sure that either an Elementalist or a Necromancer build would do better for soloing early on.
    Last edited by Frailaq; 05-06-2013 at 12:11 PM.
    Avatar by Rotaken on deviantART.

Soulwalker

oh, I did forget to mention that I'm actually duoing. My girlfriend is playing a warrior, not sure what she's specced into but she definitely isn't very tank-y. doesn't seem to have any taunts.

In a duo you have two options: 1) both players in a soloing spec or 2) one player in dps and one in mostly heals. If you plan on doing option #2 then you'll want more in chloro than just the basic 8 points.

Soulwalker

probably both in solo, then. I'll switch SC over to ele and reset my points and see what happens.

Soulwalker

oh, although I guess I should then ask what exactly what would be a good example for the best soloing build if I'm not using harbinger, maybe with one of those points calculator pages.

I've gotten so used to playing melee and using the skills I have and such that I'm going to be even more lost switching over.

also, my girlfriend seems to love whatever combo she has (warlord/champion?) so I know she's not gonna budge, it's all on me.

Quote Originally Posted by malrats View Post
    oh, although I guess I should then ask what exactly what would be a good example for the best soloing build if I'm not using harbinger, maybe with one of those points calculator pages.

I've gotten so used to playing melee and using the skills I have and such that I'm going to be even more lost switching over.

also, my girlfriend seems to love whatever combo she has (warlord/champion?) so I know she's not gonna budge, it's all on me.
    Nothing else really compares to harbinger/chloro for strong soloing specs for mages, but before harbinger there was necromancer and elementalist, using the tank pets. They can only heal their pet though, so for duoing they won't help as much as harb/chloro or full chloro.

I haven't leveled a mage to 50 in over 2 years. My assumption that harb/chloro wouldn't be the best soloing spec till 40ish is because you won't have a lot of the skills and talents that really make harb awesome till then. I leveled as a necro way back when but I haven't touched the necro or ele trees in ages and wouldn't know what to recommend there. If the harb/chloro is working better for you now that you shuffled points around and you enjoy playing it then go ahead and stick with it.

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Frailaq View Post
    First off, spec matters. To be a viable soloing spec you have to put points into the right places otherwise you'll just end up with a dps build with a few heals (which won't be enough to make soloing easy). Personally, I have my doubts as to whether or not the harb/chloro build would be viable at as low a level as 22 but if it is then you'll probably want something like this (yeah, yeah... it's 23).

Explanation:
    0 point Stormcaller is pretty terrible for this build. 2 target Forked Lightning and a knockback that you won't want to use because you're primarily melee means it's not giving you anything you'll want to use. Go 0 Archon to at least get Searing Vitality for a decent HP boost and later on a bit more damage. *edit - zasen had another viable option with going 0 Ele.

Chloro - you need 8 points in Chloro at least for Natural Awareness, Bloom, and Healing Slipstream but I usually recommend 9 to 16 points. 9 will make your Vile Spores proc a second heal and since you'll be using VS every time your Eldritch Armor procs that can be a decent boost. Don't bother putting more than 1 point into Nature's Corrosion though as it won't give you any more heals. Later on you'll probably want 16 Chloro to get Nature's Touch which hits like a truck and provides a hefty heal. If you're soloing, ignore Empowered Veil but if you like to duo or group up while questing then I'd grab it on your path to 16 points.

Harbinger - Think of yourself as a soloist rather than a dps and grab talents for survival. Increase Dodge and Parry and then grab Lightning Riposte and watch the passive dps just roll in. Disabling Shock is incredibly useful while soloing - use it on a ranged mob while you close or just use it while you're picking up an artifact or a crafting mat.

Btw, I don't think I'd choose harb/chloro until at least level 40ish. I'm pretty sure that either an Elementalist or a Necromancer build would do better for soloing early on.
    I'd say you are right. Early on Harb/chloro is not what it will be at 40+. You just don't have the points to make it go.

If you go early into Chloro to 16 you are gimped killing anything. And if you don't you take a beating.

I've always leveled Warlock/Chloro. It's probably better under 40. Even past 40 Warlock/chloro is pretty safe killing anything short of God. One on One. Never was a fan of trying to pull the world and AoE suff down solo. Others are so to each his own

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissibow View Post
    I'd say you are right. Early on Harb/chloro is not what it will be at 40+. You just don't have the points to make it go.

If you go early into Chloro to 16 you are gimped killing anything. And if you don't you take a beating.

I've always leveled Warlock/Chloro. It's probably better under 40. Even past 40 Warlock/chloro is pretty safe killing anything short of God. One on One. Never was a fan of trying to pull the world and AoE suff down solo. Others are so to each his own
    I'm definitely interested in trying Warlock/Chloro then, but what's the spec you'd recommend? I'm like 26 now I think.

Soulwalker

oh wow, I switched to warlock/chloro and I am LOST lol. I have no idea what I'm doing. I'm so used to having those like 5-6 abilities plus a couple of DoTs I'd use and now I've got this full bar of all these different crazy DoTs and nukes and who knows what and I'm very overwhelmed, I don't even know what to use yet.

Soulwalker

(also posted this in somebody else's topic when I forgot I had my own)

despite having played MMOs for many many years i've never understood macros. I don't know why.

like at level 27, what would be macros I'd be using, and why? are they just so I don't have to click all of my abilities and instead get to cast them all in one click? though I thought you couldn't cast more than one spell per macro, so I don't get it.

somebody please help me, I'm EXTREMELY confused. feel free to be condescending and talk to me like I'm a 3 year old, as long as it gets me to understand. ;) thank you.
    Last edited by malrats; 05-08-2013 at 02:31 PM.

It is generally for two reasons. First, to save keybinds. In order to effectively make split second decisions, control your character and camera, and be able to target spells by mouseover (mainly for healing), it's more effective to cast spells using keybinds than clicking. This is primarily useful for raiding but it's never too early to try it.

Secondly, proper macros can reduce the risk of human error. There are very few all-in-one macros as was prevalent before Storm Legion, but for example Necrolist works well with one, making it almost completely effortless. More often, it is simply combining 2 or 3 abilities that go well together or to have a "basic attack" macro, which is then supplemented by your more specific or situational abilities. Or combining two cooldowns that you always want to use together for another example.

There's also some modifiers you can use in macros that make them useful even if they only consist of one power. "cast @focus Interrupt-ability" is a common macro for interrupting; set the target you want to interrupt as your focus (/focus or shift+F by default) and then you can interrupt using that macro, even while targeting something else. "cast @mouseoverui Heal-ability" is something I use in every heal spec for targeted heal abilities so I don't have to change targets, just mouse over the raid frame of the character I want to heal (as mentioned, this requires using a keybind). "cast [notactive] Flaring Power" is one I use on my Archon, it toggles on a toggleable ability such as Flaring Power but does not detoggle it, this is useful because you will never want to detoggle Flaring Power. Similarly it can be used to automatically toggle on Charged Blade in a macro for Harbinger.

You are correct however that only one ability will be used for each keypress. So you must press it multiple times to use multiple abilities. All macros do is implement a priority list of abilities. This is another important point on macros: it is a priority, not a sequence. So if the first ability has no cooldown then the macro will repeatedly select that ability, and thus nothing after it will be used, except for off-GCD abilities (can be used between GCDs) or range abilities (if the ability above it is melee, and you are out of melee range).

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by TheGrinnz; 05-08-2013 at 02:50 PM.

people keep saying here that harb chloro may not be that good for low levels, but i recently lved another mage with nothing but harb chloro and it was a breeze. im having trouble understanding whats killing you, how many mobs are you fighting at once?

of close to or equal lvl nothing should really kill you, bloom should be more than enough to keep you up unless you;re trying to take on too many mobs.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast