+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: First time Mage, first time Chloromancer...

Default First time Mage, first time Chloromancer...

I started a new Mage a few days ago, (now lvl 21) and the build I'm playing now is a
    61 Chloro/Pyro/Harb (Ahov Build). I was playing a Cleric/Sent for a while, but was reading about the Mage/Chloro and it sounded like a lot of fun. So, I thought I would give it a shot.

These are my first 2 Healing characters EVER so it has been quite the learning process, but I am enjoying healing/support nonetheless.

I am unsure of a few abilities I have uncovered in my short Mage life, like
    when to use them, what they do, etc...and I was wondering if someone could be so kind as to enlighten me on their uses.

Withering Vine: deals life damage, and restores health...so if I target a bad guy I will deal damage while at the same time, healing myself and upto 10 party members? So as I am spamming this key I am at the same time dealing damage and healing my group/party members?

Radiant Spores: It says, "when hit" has a 10% chance to heal the attacker for 100% of damage done...huh? Who is the attacker, me or the mob? I just don't understand this ability at all?

Lifegiving Veil and Lifebound Veil: I'm not quite sure which one to use...I guess if I'm in a 5 man dungeon I would use Lifebound Veil and Lifegiving Veil for raids/WF's?

Synthesis: this ability is tied in with Lifebound Veil correct (only Lifebound Veil, not Lifegiving)? If I put this on the tank/or an ally they get increased healing...no one else and not me, correct? It also says in the description that synthesis applies Lifebound Veil to the Mage...what? So if I have synthesis up, then Lifebound veil applies to me other wise it won't? Sorry, confused here.

Natural Conversion: from what I can gather, if I target a bad guy and cast this spell/ability on them, their next damage spell/ability hurled at me will not cause me damage, rather it will heal me? Can I pass this spell along to any of my party/group members? Seems like a cool spell to me.

Blight: Do I place this on the bad guys/"other team" so that if they are being healed by someone this ability will remove those healing over time buffs?

As for Bloom and Flourish, these are my only true heals right now, correct (lvl 21)? I have them macro'd with mouseoverui.

I never had this much difficulty understanding the Sentinel and all of its abilities, but for some reason I am having a hard time picking up on the above listed Chloro abilities?

Sorry for all the noob questions, but just trying to get a better understanding of the soul.

Thank you very much for and help/advice you can give me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraxammer View Post
    Withering Vine: deals life damage, and restores health...so if I target a bad guy I will deal damage while at the same time, healing myself and upto 10 party members? So as I am spamming this key I am at the same time dealing damage and healing my group/party members?
    Yes, it deals damage and restores health at the same time.
    However, you don't spam it.
    It's a Damage-over-time (DoT) & Heal-over-time (HoT), so spamming it will only refresh the duration of ticks, but not give you additional damage or heals.
    You need to hit it once every time it falls off (which is every 16 seconds I believe).
    You can put it on three different mobs at the same time, though; and the Heal-over-time from all three mobs will stack on the raid, giving you three times the withering vine heal.

Radiant Spores: It says, "when hit" has a 10% chance to heal the attacker for 100% of damage done...huh? Who is the attacker, me or the mob? I just don't understand this ability at all?
    When you debuff the mob(s) using this, anyone who attacks the mob will have a 10% chance to heal themselves for 100% of the damage they do to the mob (with a cap heal of 5% of the mage's health that cast the Radiant Spores.)

Lifegiving Veil and Lifebound Veil: I'm not quite sure which one to use...I guess if I'm in a 5 man dungeon I would use Lifebound Veil and Lifegiving Veil for raids/WF's?
    Lifegiving Veil is for Area-of-effect (AoE) healing or raid healing, where you have no single target to focus on but keeping up the entire party.
    Lifebound Veil (+ Synthesis) is for single-target healing, mainly used for the Tank of your group.
    Where you use it is based on your role; for 5-mans, typically yes, you want Lifebound + Synthesis on your tank.
    For Raids, if you are a main-tank healer, you want Lifebound+Synthesis; if you are a raid healer, you want Lifegiving Veil.

Synthesis: this ability is tied in with Lifebound Veil correct (only Lifebound Veil, not Lifegiving)? If I put this on the tank/or an ally they get increased healing...no one else and not me, correct? It also says in the description that synthesis applies Lifebound Veil to the Mage...what? So if I have synthesis up, then Lifebound veil applies to me other wise it won't? Sorry, confused here.
    Yes, Synthesis only works with Lifebound Veil.
    Yes, placing it on a single person will net you increased healing on that person alone (while you have Lifebound Veil active).

When you apply Synthesis on a target, it auto-activates Lifebound Veil buff on you.
    This is to ensure that you don't waste 2 global cooldowns activating tank healing.
    (so let's say you have two tanks in a raid; and you are a raid-healer that needs to switch to main-tank healing at a certain point in the boss fight to heal the off-tank.
    You'd start off with lifegiving veil, and then...
    You'd cast Synthesis on the other tank and it auto activates lifebound veil! - one global cooldown to switch from lifegiving to lifebound ).

Another benefit of this is you can put your synthesis on your target, and switch to lifegiving veil during any part of the fight to provide more raid-healing, then switch back to lifebound veil to go back to tank healing!

Natural Conversion: from what I can gather, if I target a bad guy and cast this spell/ability on them, their next damage spell/ability hurled at me will not cause me damage, rather it will heal me? Can I pass this spell along to any of my party/group members? Seems like a cool spell to me.
    The damage will still hit you, but it'll heal you up for 200% of the damage you take after you got hit.
    Timing this with some big spell casts is key for Chloros later on in the game *wink wink*.

But the damage will still hit you (so if you take like 1000000 damage, you'll die even with it on ).
    This spell is a debuff on the boss; so it is based on who the boss is targetting and thus damaging - you can't "pass" it along.

Blight: Do I place this on the bad guys/"other team" so that if they are being healed by someone this ability will remove those healing over time buffs?
    Yup. And add a debuff!

As for Bloom and Flourish, these are my only true heals right now, correct (lvl 21)? I have them macro'd with mouseoverui.
    Yup, and technically those are your golden cooldowns.
    Learn to discipline yourself using these (+ Resurgence, Corrosive Spores, Nature's Touch, and Ruin).
    Learn when its best to use them and when its NOT best to use them (And you'd just be wasting them).
    To be a good chloro, spam Void Life.
    To be a great and dependable chloro, learn to manage your cooldowns and have the discipline to not run to them everytime something crazy happens .

I never had this much difficulty understanding the Sentinel and all of its abilities, but for some reason I am having a hard time picking up on the above listed Chloro abilities?
    Chloro is an interesting concept to get; but once you get it, it's fun .

Hope that helped ~
    Var
    Last edited by Solaxys; 04-30-2013 at 06:35 AM.

ill do what i can to help here, i main a chloro healer for raids.

Withering Vine: deals life damage over time and heals those in close proximity to the enemy over time. not the best heal but useful for low lvl healing. better still if the group has a bunch of melee.

Radiant Spores: places debuff on the enemy. when one of your allies, or you(even other players outside your party, think event boss), hit the enemy they have a chance to heal for the damage they do, with a cap of 5% of your max hp.

Lifegiving Veil and Lifebound Veil: this i can completely clear up. lifegiving veil is meant more for raid/group healing, your main skills for healing with that are going to end up being ruin, vile spores, and once you get it, natures touch. that last one, somewhere in the tree is a skill that gives u stacks from ruin, spores and void life. 5 stacks make natures touch instant is is one of your biggest heals with either veil. lifebound veil is more for tank healing, you place synthesis on the tank, and that ability dramatically increases healing from the veil, and some skills(ruin, natures touch, void life) get a bonus heal when this veil and synth are up. also, you CANNOT place the synth on yourself. this should also answer your question about synthesis. also, for more healing when needed, you will eventually get symbiosis. 45 sec cd, when used with lifegiving veil, you place it on someone and they get +50% healing from your veil for 10 sec. with lifebound veil, if placed on he target with synthesis, they get an extra 50% like with lifegiving, but if you place it on a target other than the synth target, they get the same healing as the tank.

Natural Conversion: this you have pretty accurately. you place it on an enemy and the next spell they cast will instead heal whoever it hits for 200% of the damage it would have done

Blight: this. forget it exists. all it does is remove heal over time effects and target takes 10% less healing for its duration. might have a use in pvp, but aside from that, useless.

Bloom and Flourish. these are your starting direct heals, good O @#$% hes gonna die buttons, one heals one target, one heals the group(up to 10 ppl)

hope this helps

You guys are awesome, thank you so much. You have cleared things up for me...for now. I'll probably run into some new abilities and have more questions, but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

Thanks again,

Krax

Champion

A brief comment. If you are healing as a chloro and don't have a veil up you are vastly gimping yourself. You should always have a veil going. It is a self buff that causes your damaging spells to heal you and your allies when you hit the mob/target and successfully damage them.

So your main damaging spells: vile spores, natures touch, ruin and withering vines.

Withering vines also has an added hot/dot component but casting it will also proc your veil heal on the group (at least the first tick of damage will). So in some cases it is worth it to spam it since it is an instant cast. But largely you will be focusing on casting vile spores at lower levels.

As has been noted in some other threads such as http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...ing-wrong.html
    it has been found that using Lifebound (LBV) is not really worth it until mid-40s. So until then use Lifegiving (LGV) as your veil.
    Last edited by smellwhat; 04-30-2013 at 10:01 AM.

Rift Disciple

I recommend 10 dominator / 5 harbinger until you have a decent amount of Crit Power (not spell crit)

The damage will still hit you, but it'll heal you up for 200% of the damage you take after you got hit.
    Timing this with some big spell casts is key for Chloros later on in the game *wink wink*.

But the damage will still hit you (so if you take like 1000000 damage, you'll die even with it on ).
    This spell is a debuff on the boss; so it is based on who the boss is targetting and thus damaging - you can't "pass" it along.
    your off on this one and i can prove it. i just recently fighting crucia had a tank with MAYBE 2k hp left, middle of lightning breath and i hit conversion. the tank did not take the next tick whatsoever, which would more than likely have killed him and got a 64k crit heal

Quote Originally Posted by Rodelis View Post
    Blight: this. forget it exists. all it does is remove heal over time effects and target takes 10% less healing for its duration. might have a use in pvp, but aside from that, useless.
    Yes, this. If you PvP you'll use this but if you don't, yeah, you will be hard pressed to find a use for it.
    Faeblight
    ilexx: lvl 60 High Elf Necromancer/Chloro
    RIFT 3.0 incoming soon... get ready for some surprises!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thitizen View Post
    Helicopters? Tesla Coils? Skrillex?

your off on this one and i can prove it.
    So prove it. We've done testing that proves the opposite.

Thank you everybody. I will try these helpful hints out when I get home from work tonight. Wish I could leave work now...think I feel a cough coming on.

I have been playing PVP (WF's) with this Mage, and I have been having a lot of fun with him...never played PVP (or dungeons for that matter) as a healer until recently. It is a very nice change from my usual DPS role.

Now if I could just muster up some courage and queue as a healer in a dungeon that would be something! oooooh scary.

Healing dungeons is tough as a low level chloro. My suggestion would be to find someone like a cleric tank or a good bard to run with that will provide some extra heals. They'll make your life sooo much easier.
    Avatar by Rotaken on deviantART.

your off on this one and i can prove it. i just recently fighting crucia had a tank with MAYBE 2k hp left, middle of lightning breath and i hit conversion. the tank did not take the next tick whatsoever, which would more than likely have killed him and got a 64k crit heal
    I can easily see how this can heal for 64,000 with a critical hit (and from that moment onwards, you'll be known as a god among men with respect to your guild mates ).

However, it works as I claimed it to be. You will take the hit, and within a 0.5 second bracket, you'll be healed for 200% of that hit. This has to be done to prevent breaking encounters/mechanics both in PVE and PVP.
    Try it on Havoc Missile, cast by Manslaughter in Golem Foundry. You'll see the tank dip ~25% - 30% health, then bounce back up.

As for Crucia, not sure; could've been a last-minute puri/VK shield?

Quote Originally Posted by Solaxys View Post
    I can easily see how this can heal for 64,000 with a critical hit (and from that moment onwards, you'll be known as a god among men with respect to your guild mates ).

However, it works as I claimed it to be. You will take the hit, and within a 0.5 second bracket, you'll be healed for 200% of that hit. This has to be done to prevent breaking encounters/mechanics both in PVE and PVP.
    Try it on Havoc Missile, cast by Manslaughter in Golem Foundry. You'll see the tank dip ~25% - 30% health, then bounce back up.

As for Crucia, not sure; could've been a last-minute puri/VK shield?
    Or Vigilance or Defer Death, the only two abilities I know of that will actually prevent a oneshot mechanic. (aside from having 100%+ mitigation with scatter the shadows)
    Last edited by TheGrinnz; 04-30-2013 at 01:59 PM.

Plane Touched

Scatter the shadows hasn't been 100% mitigation for a long time. They changed it to 90% but increased the duration to five seconds, up from three.
    World first Intrepid Drowned Halls!! WINING 4/4 2/3 2/5

Quote Originally Posted by Dreezie View Post
    Scatter the shadows hasn't been 100% mitigation for a long time. They changed it to 90% but increased the duration to five seconds, up from three.
    You can use it with other mitigation cooldowns though

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast