+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Chloromancer 5-Man Healing - What Am I Doing Wrong?

Telaran

Default Chloromancer 5-Man Healing - What Am I Doing Wrong?

I just queued for LFG as a healer and tried healing a 5-man dungeon. It was an absolute nightmare. I'm hoping someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong. I've read the Chloro guides here, but as far as I can tell they're almost entirely focused on tank healing in a raid group at 60. Even so I seem to be playing basically the same way they describe.

I'm level 41, and I'm using 41 Chloro/8 Pyro/5 Harbinger. Here's what I'm doing.

I used Lifebound Veil and put Synthesis on the tank. I'd cast Radiant Spores before the pull, then once the tank pulled I'd put up Withering Vine followed by Ruin and Nature's Fury. Then I'd spam Vile Spores until Ruin or Nature's Fury came off cooldown or I had 5 stacks of Boon of Life for an instant cast Nature's Touch.

I could barely keep the tank alive, and I was five levels higher than everything in the instance. If I had been the same level, we literally would have been unable to complete the first group. And he was pulling the easiest he possibly could. He wasn't grabbing multiple packs or doing anything crazy.

And since I was struggling to even keep the tank alive, I couldn't do anything at all to help the rest of the party. If any of them took damage, they died. I couldn't spare a GCD or the tank would drop.

My gear is good enough that it shouldn't be the problem. I've been leveling almost entirely through warfronts and LFG (as a dps), so my gear is almost all level appropriate blues. It's not perfect, but realistically I don't think I could do much better unless I bought up all the BOE purples from the AH or something.

On a couple pulls I just resorted to spamming direct heals on the tank (Natural Healing and Healing Torrent). Strangely that almost seemed to work better than using offensive attacks to heal through Lifebound Veil and Synthesis, but that's not how Chloro is supposed to work, right?

Plane Walker

Spamming Natural Healing and Bloom on tank at lower level before you get void life is right thing to do. However once you get void life and corrosion spore you start using them for tank tank healing, after that Natural healing and Bloom are mostly used to keep your group up as spot healing spells...when you are using bound
    Don't use vilespores for tank healing, it's a raid healing spell...when you have lifegivin veil.

So as sum up at lower level use Lifegiving veil and spam heal tank with your spot healing abilities and cast vs or spot healing stuff with florish on your group....after you get your Tank healing spells this habbit goes to trashcan so don't get used to it.
    Last edited by ReveBeck; 04-28-2013 at 10:19 PM.
    Ambroo- Apotheosys

Telaran

Ok, that makes sense, but why does direct healing the tank stop being viable later on, and do I stop as soon as I get Void Life at 51 Chloro? There's no reason to use Synthesis if I'm direct healing the tank, right?

Plane Walker

Because the spells which you use at lower level differs hps vise what you can pull out with proper tank healing spells...and they offer more dps on target aswell. Yes once you get void life and corrosion your rotation goes like this

x amount of void life spam --> big heal with either NT, Corrosion spore or bloom --> x void life, repeat
    for raid healing you use then Natural healing/bloom/florish and keep your Withering up on target...naturally you use then synthesis and bound, but before you have those spells use giving and spam spot healing abilities on tank, makes your life easier when you dont have to swap veils to heal group at low level...as you arent using your synth yet anyway
    Last edited by ReveBeck; 04-28-2013 at 10:35 PM.
    Ambroo- Apotheosys

Quote Originally Posted by gx240 View Post
    I just queued for LFG as a healer and tried healing a 5-man dungeon. It was an absolute nightmare. I'm hoping someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong. I've read the Chloro guides here, but as far as I can tell they're almost entirely focused on tank healing in a raid group at 60. Even so I seem to be playing basically the same way they describe.

I'm level 41, and I'm using 41 Chloro/8 Pyro/5 Harbinger. Here's what I'm doing.

I used Lifebound Veil and put Synthesis on the tank. I'd cast Radiant Spores before the pull, then once the tank pulled I'd put up Withering Vine followed by Ruin and Nature's Fury. Then I'd spam Vile Spores until Ruin or Nature's Fury came off cooldown or I had 5 stacks of Boon of Life for an instant cast Nature's Touch.

I could barely keep the tank alive, and I was five levels higher than everything in the instance. If I had been the same level, we literally would have been unable to complete the first group. And he was pulling the easiest he possibly could. He wasn't grabbing multiple packs or doing anything crazy.

And since I was struggling to even keep the tank alive, I couldn't do anything at all to help the rest of the party. If any of them took damage, they died. I couldn't spare a GCD or the tank would drop.

My gear is good enough that it shouldn't be the problem. I've been leveling almost entirely through warfronts and LFG (as a dps), so my gear is almost all level appropriate blues. It's not perfect, but realistically I don't think I could do much better unless I bought up all the BOE purples from the AH or something.

On a couple pulls I just resorted to spamming direct heals on the tank (Natural Healing and Healing Torrent). Strangely that almost seemed to work better than using offensive attacks to heal through Lifebound Veil and Synthesis, but that's not how Chloro is supposed to work, right?
    Your spec is fine, it's probably the best you can do for your level. A couple things.

Vile spore spam is going to be your main spam, unfortunately it's not intended for tank healing but since you don't have Void Life yet it's all you have. The hardest thing about tank healing with Vile Spores is that you're grounded in place, hardcasting. Positioning is really important, and by that I mean run forward as far as you can pre-pull to eliminate any chance you may need to move as he pulls. This lets you pre-cast and turret heals. Since you don't have Void Life(gains bonus healing on your synth target) or Corrosive Spores(gains bonus on your synth target), your next next best tank healing spell is likely Ruin(gains bonus on our synth target), which means you actually might want to save this rather than using it on cooldown. RS and WV should be kept up of course, during downtime. This is what's going to keep you from having to spot heal so much, aside from a flourish now and again to counter mechanics where the raid *will* take damage. If you need to, ask your group to move/stack within 20meters so they get ticks of WV, also this isn't a bad idea because Natural Splender has a 20m range on the bonus healing(which you'll get soon enough, 44). Outside of these party heals your party members should rarely be taking repeat damage that necessitates direct spot healing(Bloom/NH), if they die with this it is more or less their fault.

Cut back on Nature's Fury a bit. It's great dps and hits hard, but it is actually relatively low hps. The only times I use it is when it will hit 4mobs and the tank is 90%+, you'll notice the bounces act a little like a HoT effect(delayed small healing); this isn't going to magically pick someone up though.

I assume you're saving Nature's Touch if the tank dips. With Vile Spores it builds slower so, if you need to use it often you can use it at 2-3stacks of BoL, as it will be more hps than waiting until 5stacks and have the relative cast time of Vile Spores but it won't be as bursty. Ruin can come into play here, getting you a quick stack when you need it and giving bonus Synth healing. If you can save it, I would, and only use it if the tank dips to 65-70% or lower. Keep in mind 4stack puts it down to a 1sec cast, same as the gcd. You have essence surge, so at least that's one good cooldown. You can also pre-buff your tank during downtime with Natural Conversion, which is really strong vs casters(doesn't get enough appreciation or love), it may even find use reactively to save your tank vs a specific encounter.

Other than that, I can only say, it will get better. At lower levels some of the coefficients and talents may be a bit wonky/out of place because they're geared toward end-game content. Specifically, the lack of Void Life. Once you pick this up and replace VS as your main filler you will feel much better off, even moreso once you pick up Corrosive Spores which is a huge tank heal on an 8sec cooldown that also ticks for more healing; probably chloros best spell hands down, in my opinion.

Stick with it, tough it out. You'll get there soon enough. Best of luck, and I hope this helps!
    Last edited by NotTrev; 04-28-2013 at 10:36 PM.

Plane Walker

Did you ask the support person for backup healing? if I was leveling again I'd ask for support healing until level 50 and void life.
    Mantissa@Greybriar 7/8 raid tiers cleared <Rekt>

Plane Walker

Forgot to say it's very important you have mouseover macros on your spot healing spells.
    Ambroo- Apotheosys

Stop using Nature's Fury and you will find life a lot easier from a healing perspective.

Before SL it was not worth using LBV until at least level 40 or so. Not sure how it works out now.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrinnz View Post
    Before SL it was not worth using LBV until at least level 40 or so. Not sure how it works out now.
    You beat me to that one. It was higher than 40, with LGV healing tank better.

@OP, until you gain a few more levels, you may want to try LGV, and take your tank as focus (target tank, do /focus when entering the dungeon). You can then use direct heals on focus (e.g. cast @focus Bloom) while keeping mobs on target.

Withering vines when maintained on 3 enemies might even be ok healing in that config. Not sure about that though. But healing torrent, bloom and essence surge on the focus with a lot of AE heal should help you get to 50 and your synthesis becomes better.
    Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.

Champion

I was taught as a young mage... Nature's Touch is your nuke. With LBV or LGV this is your big heal (because of its longer base cast time). Especially at lower levels when you don't have access to other things. Withering vines... meh. Nature's Fury... meh... good for accidental ping pong pulls and I would avoid it. (Save these two spells for when you find yourself bored or at a higher level)

Stick with Vile Spores and Nature's Touch. When you need more instant stuff follow up NT with Ruin (also a big heal). Both end up hitting at about the same time if you cast them back to back.

Almost never use Bloom or Flourish unless you are about to crap your pants or you need a big aoe group heal. Because of their cd's they can't be relied upon for very consistent healing.

You might also consider 15 pts in warlock to get the 10% opp proc which will get some of your vile spores back-to-back which can be great. Or 5 pts in pyro for somewhat faster casts might be better at your level.

Since you don't have void life yet, some of the fights will come down to how well you are able to anticipate damage spikes to use your cd's effectively which will come with more experience. And as some others have said, experiment with using LGV vs. LBV and find which works better for you at your level (although NT is still your nuke since it gives a bigger heal based on its longer cast time).
    Last edited by smellwhat; 04-29-2013 at 12:10 PM.

Withering Vines received a pretty hefty boost with 1.11/SL. It heals the same as any other instant cast life ability + it has the 15m radius AoE HoT and it's the only DoT/HoT that can proc a trinket on any tick rather than just the first tick.

As others have said, LGV is better than LBV up until at least 44-45 if not all the way up to 50 now. Pick up Resurgence and use it on the tank basically on CD and you'll make up for not running LBV. Healing Torrent can be used if you know the tank will take a decent chunk of damage but timing is crucial so learn how it works and use it only when the situation is right.

Spec is also important... at lvl 41 you need to be careful not to waste points on dps talents like Accelerated Growth, Natural Power, or more than 1 point in Nature's Corrosion. Also, at level 41, Radiant Spores is pretty terrible. It heals for a max of 5% of your max HP. Go ahead and pop it before a pull or if absolutely nothing else is happening but otherwise you have more worthwhile abilities to be spending that GCD on.
    Avatar by Rotaken on deviantART.

+ Reply to Thread