+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Back from a break? Starting at 50 with some raid gear? Try this setup to level.

Telaran

Default Back from a break? Starting at 50 with some raid gear? Try this setup to level.

I've looked through the forums and I didn't see the build I'm using. So if someone has already mentioned it, I apologize my intention was not to plagiarize.

I find this build extremely fun as it fits my playstyle well. I enjoy grinding mobs while farming everything from cloth, to herbs, to artifacts. I stepped away from the game for about a year or so and was pleasantly surprised at how easy this was to setup create and implement. You can burn down elites or multiple mobs nonstop. I will however, point out at this time this build is not for PULLING ALL THE MOBS AT ONCE. This is a dot 1 mob and rotate like a turret, dot up the next while the 1st mob is dying, rinse and repeat. Almost everything is instant cast from. Check it out, share with what your experience with it is.

http://www.rifthead.com/stc/zcRldxdc0Vvxj0tGcxoAdovVz

Setup macro 1:
    #show Life Leech
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Radiant Spores
    use Murk Shrouded Trinket
    cast Life Leech

Spam macro 2:
    #show Ruin
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Sacrifice Life: Damage
    cast Storm's Fury
    cast Ruin
    cast Neddra's Grasp
    cast Vile Spores
    cast Storm Slash

Buffs:
    Lightning Blade
    Warlock Armor
    Lifegiving Veil
    Nedda's Might
    Vampiric Essence (2rd tier death PA)

I find a nice spot with several mobs, and start picking people off. Use macro 1 to apply Radiant Spores and Life Leach; then throw up Dark Touch, Withering Vine; next spam mcro 2 to use Storms Fury (if target is in melee range), and apply Ruin, Nedda's Grasp. You can keep spamming it to cast Vile Spores or to instant cast VS on a proc. If you don't like hard casting VS you can do a strafe/turn and spam Strom Slash.

Once all your dots are on a target, go to next target, rinse and repeat. The mob you started on will be low and die from hitting your warlock armor shortly. Or, when you get 3/4/5 on you (which isn't hard to handle at all. I'd get more but they die before I can get 6 or 7 like I'm confident I can) just Radiant Death and Devouring Shadows or Mortality. I use mortality like an "OH ****" button which doesn't happen often. I should be more conscious and make an effort to use Mortality on CD. Anyways, usually occurs when I forget my self buffs have fallen off. If you're dying, check your buffs. If my macros seem oddly random, they aren't. I specifically made them in that order to keep Natural Awareness and Contaminate up the entire time which is a HUGE damage increase. I promise this works, and works well.

As if the healing from damage wasn't enough, you have your instant bloom which crits from Circle of Life most times I cast it. I built my Sacrifice Life: Damage right into my mnacro because you don't even know you've used it with all the healing you get.

My next points as I go to 60 will be 4 in Warlock. I'm going to pick up Choke (nice to ge that annoying caster parked with the rest of the group on me for Radiate Death), Conflux (help with single target elites or the last mob left up from your pulls), the last point in vitality and then pick up Draining Bolt. We're going to get Atrophy and Consuming Agony at 48 points in the Lock tree. We simply add Atrophy into our dot rotation and fire Consuming Agony on Opportunity Procs. I'll then dump the remaining points I get into Accelerated Growth and /or Call of Spring.

I'm sure some of you may see some tweaks to improve this or may have a critique with a point of view I haven't considered, but I"m telling you this is the mage version of Duracell.

Good luck leveling, all.
    Last edited by Birtanerny; 04-23-2013 at 08:22 AM. Reason: Forgot some info!

Telaran

I accidentally ommitted applying Blazing Light in my rotation. It's applied after Withering Vine and before using macro 2. So the rotation is: (*Macro 1) *Radiant Spores, *Life Leech, Dark Touch, Withering Vine, Blazing Light, (*Macro 2) *Storm Fury (if in melee range), *Ruin, *Nedda's Grasp. Then either start over on next mob in range and rinse/repeat. If last mob or ST stand still to cast *Vile Spores or strafe/turn for *Storm Slash spam in melee range. You should probably keep an additional Vile Spores by itself on a seperate keybind for Opportunity procs until you get Consuming Agony @ 48 points which will then replace the single Vile Spores.

If you're handling an elite just reapply dots as needed as they fall off, you know the drill.
    Last edited by Birtanerny; 04-23-2013 at 11:15 AM.

Looks interesting and kind of fun. Unfortunately, I'm already geared to the point where 61 Harb works just fine for soloing and I certainly don't have any spare role slots for a dedicated solo spec. I think there are a few things I would tweak and I doubt it comes close to the standard mostly Harb with 8-16 Chloro build in terms of sheer numbers but from a fun perspective I'd say it's worth trying out if you're bored or having issues with melee.
    Avatar by Rotaken on deviantART.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Frailaq View Post
    Looks interesting and kind of fun. Unfortunately, I'm already geared to the point where 61 Harb works just fine for soloing and I certainly don't have any spare role slots for a dedicated solo spec. I think there are a few things I would tweak and I doubt it comes close to the standard mostly Harb with 8-16 Chloro build in terms of sheer numbers but from a fun perspective I'd say it's worth trying out if you're bored or having issues with melee.
    I'm unfamiliar with the numbers of the other builds. What I can tell you is unless I screw up and either forget my buffs or pull a mob that eats me in two hits, my mana and health for all intents and purposes don't move, and I can park almost all the mobs at my feet...this equates to no downtime to speak of. For leveling purposes, I find it immensely enjoyable. Specifically, for returning gamers starting at 50 and familiar with using dot based abilities this is a blast.

Telaran

Make sure to take Sacrifice Life: Damage out of Macro 2 as the hotfix in 2.2 will take contaminate off.

+ Reply to Thread