+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Haven't played since Hammerknell. Can someone catch me up to speed for Mage?

Rift Disciple

Default Haven't played since Hammerknell. Can someone catch me up to speed for Mage?

The last thing I remember was SC/Ele was the best single target damage spec with the Hailstorm rotation.

Man I miss the BS sc/ele build
    Formerly Manwitch.... 4/4 FT 5/5 EE 3/4 GA

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by merder View Post
    Man I miss the BS sc/ele build
    I know, right? I remember spending 3~ hours on a training dummy trying to perfect the rotation down while also being confused as hell as to why Hailstorm sometimes did less damage for no reason at all.
    Stupidly fun(and hard) in raids, though.

Yea.... Ridiculous aoe and st

And giant ab crits

I think that was the last time I had one of those class specific lesser essences lol
    Formerly Manwitch.... 4/4 FT 5/5 EE 3/4 GA

Anyone else miss the days of the old "Zoomancer"? it had to be one of my favorite specs!
    SOUL FORGED 4/4 TotDQ - 4/4 FT - 4/5 EE www.soul-forged.com
    Blytz - Rogue
    Vyo - Mage
    Dyzmal - Cleric

Ascendant

I loved Zoomancer. The ability to have so many pets out at the same time... it was wonderful. All that utility was great, too.
    Regardless of what happens, people will always be unhappy. Be thankful for what you have and always be constructive.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Poster View Post
    good or the best
    This quote offers insight into why there are so many perceived balance issues. To some, it doesn't matter how good something is; if it isn't the best, it isn't worth using.

Miss Building storm Hailstorm so much.

Imagine if BS was put back nowadays. Using it with Eye of the Storm, Lightning Burst and so on.. lol
    Valery@Zaviel - Mage | Valzz - Cleric | Soulsky - Rogue | Introvert - Warrior
    Everything you need to know for Mage: www.valvalval.net

Rift Disciple

Alright, so I've got 5 roles and I'm not sure what to fill the 5th with.

61 Stormcaller for dungeon DPS(I realize this is not ideal, but I have a certain affinity with SC that I don't with other specs)
    61 Chloro for dungeon healing
    Harb/Chloro for soloing
    61 Archon for dungeon support

Anyone have a particular role they like to play? I'm not a big PvP fan, but I'd be willing to try something.

Depends what your into, and what your goal is imo. If your sights are on raiding, I would go with 61 lock or 61 pyro for dps

You have a healing and a support build.

For dungeon support use your 61 Chloro or Harb/Chloro if any healing is needed, this is usually what's needed if the healer or tank needs support. On the other hand, you can go Archon as DPS and pull more DPS than most pugs while providing buffs, especially if you use 51 Archon builds with 25 Pyro or Harbinger. See guide in my sig for more details.

For pure DPS specs, Warlock or Necrolist are your best bet. Necrolist is easy mode, Warlock is better in raids and still not that difficult. Pyro is in flux atm. Or you can go melee with 61 Harb, as with any other melee spec it's higher DPS as long as you don't die. All raid fights are melee-able, most but not all of the dungeon fights are.

As TheGrinnz said, for dungeons, the only builds you should care about are:
    61 Chloro (with at least 8 in pyro and up to 11 and at least 4 and up to 7 in harb) - Heals
    61 Harb (8 pyro, 7 ele) - Melee dps with ranged interrupt and decent disconnects
    Necrolist - Ranged dps with decent AoE, relies on pet
    51 Arch (25 pyro, 0 harb) - Ranged support, decent ST and passable AoE dps

For raiding, you'll want to consider adding the following:
    Pyrobinger (look for Val's guide here) - top parsing ST melee dps, terrible AoE/disconnects
    61 Lock (8 pyro, 7 necro) - current top ranged dps, spreadable AoE and good 2 target cleaving
    61 Pyro - keep an eye on this as it may become the next ranged nuke dps of choice and possibly even best ranged dps spec period

Then there's the special use builds that only a few people will ever need:
    51 Arch (25 harb, 0 pyro) - melee support, 2 stuns make it useful on Matriarch, some prefer this to the 25 pyro subspec although I find it has less uptime on buffs/debuffs
    54 Arch (mostly domi with a few points in harb) - mana/energy draining, reflect, instant spammable sheep, aoe silence... most of the utility in domi with less than 20 points spent
    61 Chloro (10 domi, 5 harb) - higher SP means higher base heals but less total throughput from crits due to lack of burning fury. Has reflect and interrupt for hierarch on the regulos fight and a spammable but 2s cast time sheep as well as mass charged shield if nobody else is covering that
    Chloroharb (I think it's a 44/22 split but not sure) - good dps for a spec with that many points in chloro while also providing just enough hps to help out. A lot of people consider this a support build due the nature of dps + some heals
    61 Domi (at least 8 sc, rest harb) - current AoE king for mages with a ton of utility to boot. Not a lot of use in raids although can be useful on some trash. Presumably, 8 pyro 7 sc is potentially higher total dps but I haven't felt the need to test
    Avatar by Rotaken on deviantART.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Frailaq View Post
    As TheGrinnz said, for dungeons, the only builds you should care about are:
    61 Chloro (with at least 8 in pyro and up to 11 and at least 4 and up to 7 in harb) - Heals
    61 Harb (8 pyro, 7 ele) - Melee dps with ranged interrupt and decent disconnects
    Necrolist - Ranged dps with decent AoE, relies on pet
    51 Arch (25 pyro, 0 harb) - Ranged support, decent ST and passable AoE dps

For raiding, you'll want to consider adding the following:
    Pyrobinger (look for Val's guide here) - top parsing ST melee dps, terrible AoE/disconnects
    61 Lock (8 pyro, 7 necro) - current top ranged dps, spreadable AoE and good 2 target cleaving
    61 Pyro - keep an eye on this as it may become the next ranged nuke dps of choice and possibly even best ranged dps spec period

Then there's the special use builds that only a few people will ever need:
    51 Arch (25 harb, 0 pyro) - melee support, 2 stuns make it useful on Matriarch, some prefer this to the 25 pyro subspec although I find it has less uptime on buffs/debuffs
    54 Arch (mostly domi with a few points in harb) - mana/energy draining, reflect, instant spammable sheep, aoe silence... most of the utility in domi with less than 20 points spent
    61 Chloro (10 domi, 5 harb) - higher SP means higher base heals but less total throughput from crits due to lack of burning fury. Has reflect and interrupt for hierarch on the regulos fight and a spammable but 2s cast time sheep as well as mass charged shield if nobody else is covering that
    Chloroharb (I think it's a 44/22 split but not sure) - good dps for a spec with that many points in chloro while also providing just enough hps to help out. A lot of people consider this a support build due the nature of dps + some heals
    61 Domi (at least 8 sc, rest harb) - current AoE king for mages with a ton of utility to boot. Not a lot of use in raids although can be useful on some trash. Presumably, 8 pyro 7 sc is potentially higher total dps but I haven't felt the need to test

BF only procs on ST spells, so I don't think Dom would get much use from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Proin Drakenzol View Post
    BF only procs on ST spells, so I don't think Dom would get much use from it.
    Explains why I don't use it... I'd forgotten the reason :
    Avatar by Rotaken on deviantART.

44/32, enough to get essence surge in chloro. Amazing spec for soloing everything and for assisting in expert/raid.
    Lanfeara@Brisesol

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast