+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Lock rotation help?

Plane Walker

Default Lock rotation help?

So pretty much I'm not maxing out my warlock dps as I'm always sitting at 9.5-10k. This as a well geared mage without the synergy crystal (I'm lazy but working on it.)
    Oh, and this parse is with a derpy super meter since the patch. My guildie caught me at 10.5k apparently with act.

A guildie pulls 9.5k also and is way less geared then me, which begs the question what am I doing wrong. (like, blue staff/blue junk anyone?)

I rotate like I see in valeryy's guide for starting, but after I'm a bit lost as I'm told that my void barrage and my empowered darkness are supposed to line which I fail to make happen.

So what's the the rotation order that I'm supposed to follow? Here's what I'm doing:

atophy-countdown-dark touch- necrosis- life leech - defile- empowered/void barrage off the bat- filler- refresh at 2 seconds of necrosis- use sl;d when empowered falls off, filler, void barrage on cd, contaminate, refresh, sl;d, filler, then empowered/void barrage again, cycle repeat.

Thing is the empowered and void barrage don't line up exactly so what am I missing out on?
    Last edited by Rozel; 04-18-2013 at 09:01 PM.

Plane Walker

That does seem odd that VB and ED are not lining up.

VB has a 20s cooldown, and ED has a 60s cooldown. That means every third VB should get the 40% buff. Should look like this:

ED + VB

VB

VB

ED + VB

You can also extend the use of ED by refreshing your dots at 1 second left on ED, instead of 2-1s on Necrosis. (Use Salvage Corruption and Deathly Pall if you don't want to mess up your Persist cd this way.)
    Last edited by Scuba Steve; 04-18-2013 at 09:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanlo View Post
    I mean, you didn't see Gandalf bunnyhopping through Mordor blasting away with instant cast spells.

Default Roz's parse

Roz's parse
    https://imageshack.us/scaled/large/845/rozparse.png

I honestly cannot figure out what is off
    I am his guildie, I parse 9900 in Crafted + blue leveling gear

Rift Disciple

I did a 3:30 parse to compare mine to your's and these are the things I noticed:

1) Every single one of my spells except Draining Bolt hit 10% more often. Ex. With a 3:30 parse, I hit 67 Void Bolts while you only hit 58; I hit 115 ticks of Defiler while you only got 103. This leads me to believe that you're missing the "double tick" refresh timers and lagging (or playing without ability queues).

2) Assuming that parse started from the beginning, looking at the difference between your min, median, and max hits compared to mine, it looks like you're forgetting to use a damage buff (contaminate/SLD) for most of your dot refreshes.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by nyleva View Post
    I did a 3:30 parse to compare mine to your's and these are the things I noticed:

1) Every single one of my spells except Draining Bolt hit 10% more often. Ex. With a 3:30 parse, I hit 67 Void Bolts while you only hit 58; I hit 115 ticks of Defiler while you only got 103. This leads me to believe that you're missing the "double tick" refresh timers and lagging (or playing without ability queues).

2) Assuming that parse started from the beginning, looking at the difference between your min, median, and max hits compared to mine, it looks like you're forgetting to use a damage buff (contaminate/SLD) for most of your dot refreshes.
    Nm. I'm dumb. Regarding 2) Just realized Rift Meter records average, not median. In which case, it looks like you're stacking crit power, which doesn't translate too well on dummy parses.

Ascendant

Maybe gear/raid buff matters but I almost always have more VB than void bolt.
    VB should be cast on CD, and if you want to min/max like many of us, use sac life damage on fillers, and re-contaminat right before VB and Persist.

Ascendant

Also your Consuming Agony is 0.6% of your total DPS which is amazingly low.
    Catch it not only with Warlock armor proc but with opportunity procs as well if you can and if it's off CD.

Quote Originally Posted by Rozel View Post
    atophy-countdown-dark touch- necrosis- life leech - defile- empowered/void barrage off the bat- filler- refresh at 2 seconds of necrosis- use sl;d when empowered falls off, filler, void barrage on cd, contaminate, refresh, sl;d, filler, then empowered/void barrage again, cycle repeat.

Thing is the empowered and void barrage don't line up exactly so what am I missing out on?
    In my opionion the 4pc raid crystal adds a lot(the 2pc raid or 4pc expert, not so much), so that said I don't know what kind of numbers you're "suposed" to be doing.

In regards to you comparing to your friend, your initial dot application isn't going to skew a 5minute parse by any noticeable degree, so it's obvoiusly something you're doing during the bulk of it.

The first thing I can tell you is that you're using persist too soon. You should be persisting at 1sec or 0sec if you want to be ballsy, this will add 1 filler per 20second cycle, which is a lot.

If you start with ED on void barrage, you're right you won't modify every void barrage with either ED or SL. There are a couple pictures near the end of Val's guide(pages 15+?) that helps depict this and some discussion on it, which would be better than me trying to explain here. There are basically a couple solutions. You can start the pull with ED as you apply dots, which will offset the ed/sld/contam/sld/ed rotation so void barrage ends up hitting the middleish of ED and will then tag the middle of both SLs. On paper everything looks nice and cute when you can draw out exactly how each of your void barrages should go, but in practice that will not be a direct rotation and it will slowly fall out of sync. Simple things like having to move which delays void barrage or being mid cast on void bolt as it comes off cooldown means it often gets pushed back a second or two.

As long as your transitions from each modifier are clean I would not worry about this too much. What I mean is that there are no unmodified void bolts going through when SL falls or that there is not periods of time where you forget to re-contaminate after SL(this is problematic if you use macros to apply them). Things you can change in regard to the modifiers, as SL is ending use an instant cast(either neddra spell) instead of void bolt to let SL expire off the gcd and cut off SL with contaminate if there are only a few seconds left and you're about to void barrage.

From your parse:

Your CA crit 63%, that's probably why you spiked higher than you thought you normally pull(or your auto attack damage, but I'm not sure if you always parse like that). Initially looking at your CA contribution I thought it was a little low, or fine, compared to my parses but when I saw that it had that contribution with such high crit rate I think it can be improved. Try to end *every* void bolt cast with an instant cast(neddra's spells or persist, etc) to avoid instant Opp proc consumption by void bolt. This should improve your CA contributions. NG won't translate to better parses due to it not procing on dummies, but is very good in practice. Using act you could consider each NG cast a void bolt(taken at average damage), manually add it to your dps.

You didn't cast Neddra's Torture, which is a dps gain over void bolt pre-DD, is still modified by ED/SL and like I mentioned above is great for not consuming Opp procs.

Your Count Down contributions also look a little low relative to your other damage, typically it's behind vb, vbar, ll, defile for me. Are you trying to manage this manually or do you have it at the top of a filler macro with vb and db? I'd suggest the macro.

Void Barrage count divided by encounter time looks like one every 23seconds or so. I'd say this is pretty acceptable, considering you don't want to interrupt a void bolt cast as barrage is coming off cooldown but you could probably tighten this up too.

Like Nelyva mentioned, not using ability queue could impact CA and CD damage, or all filler damage in general, quite a bit.

Sorry if this doesn't help solve your issue, or if you feel like you're already doing these things, just trying to grab at differences I notice between your parse and mine. Best of luck.

One thing I can tell from that parse posted is that void barrage (in most of my lock parses) should be slightly above void bolt as long as its used as soon as it comes off ofcd, which should be around 6-7secs left on necrosis.
    Formerly Manwitch.... 4/4 FT 5/5 EE 3/4 GA

Quote Originally Posted by NotTrev View Post

The first thing I can tell you is that you're using persist too soon. You should be persisting at 1sec or 0sec if you want to be ballsy, this will add 1 filler per 20second cycle, which is a lot.
    Does not make a difference,
    Void Barrage used on cooldown every 20 seconds,
    you use persist anywhere between the Void Barrages to keep the dots rolling
    wether it is 1x at 4 sec refresh, or 1x at 0.00001 sec refresh it makes no diff

Roz you should post your SP and CP
    a parse without stat values is sort of useless

My parse 10k, 3:28 mins
    https://imageshack.us/scaled/large/834/rainbowparse.png
    same amount of Void Bolts and Void Barrages and everything else pretty much
    3704 SP 877 CP

Roz Parse 10.5k, 3:27 mins
    https://imageshack.us/scaled/large/845/rozparse.png
    Last edited by IcyPenguin; 04-19-2013 at 05:35 AM.

You don't wanna refresh with persist too early.... Or you're clipping ALL your dots, in which Atrophy hits for more the longer it ticks

And to say something @Not Trev, as long as you're not casting Nedra's grasp on the dummy ;)

Quote Originally Posted by merder View Post
    You don't wanna refresh with persist too early.... Or you're clipping ALL your dots, in which Atrophy hits for more the longer it ticks
    but does it change, its being refreshed every 20 anyways
    so do we know the difference between 12 sec + 8 sec tick or 10 sec + 10 sec.
    Either way void barrage is used on cooldown
    Last edited by IcyPenguin; 04-19-2013 at 05:50 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast