+ Reply to Thread

Thread: updated Stormcaller guide?

Prophet of Telara

Default updated Stormcaller guide?

I've never had a dedicated AoE build for my mage. I just AoE on whatever ST spec I'm using whether it be Warlock or Ele/Necro. However, there was a mage on Golem Foundry doing 22K+ AoE damage and obviously I was impressed. I checked the mage guide section and the only one there on the first page is outdated.

Can anyone please share an updated SC build as well as a quick run of their rotation? Thank you.

Prophet of Telara

We are still waiting for a second wave of SC changes because this soul still needs some love. It`s behind others and it`s complexity and disadvantages are not rewarded with more dps.

Anyway I still use it for GHRs, thrash killing since SC is my favorite soul but like I said it`s still subpar compared to other souls/callings.

I`m using a 61/10/5 SC/Dom/Harb build - http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#gGkGGiAGGay/dgg/S8 You may also try a build with 8 pts in Pyro for Burning Fury.

This is my basic AOE rotation (I left out SF toggling for more clarity):

- Static Nova
    - Arctic Blast
    - Pouring Rain
    - Ice Shear
    - Static Discharge
    - Lightning Burst (should be instant cast)
    - Lightning Field (x2)
    - Electric Charge
    - Storm Surge
    - Lightning Field (x2)
    - Lighting Arc
    - Eye of the Storm
    - Lightning Field (x2)
    - Hailstorm (should be instant cast)
    - Lightning Storm
    - Lightning Field (x2)
    - Forked Lighting (x3)
    - Lightning Field (x2)

Number of FL casts depends on cooldown of Static Nova. If it`s up then don`t bother with FL. The number of LF casts after target gets 5 stacks depends on the number of enemies in range.
    Live - Lokken - Mage - Unity Guild - Gelidra EU http://www.unityguild.net/
    Prime - Lokken - Rogue

Im trying to get a single target rotation to work (its a about 75-80% of what the top DPS specs are) im just waiting for SC changes to see if it improves my spec at all

I still have stormcaller on my bar, but the rotation is actually really long, and of course changes situationally (as mobs or pvpers could easily just move out of the way or to my annoyance just get pulled out of an AOE).

Honestly I'm heavily expecting more changes on stormcaller before I settle on anything about it though. Its just is hard trying to rock a stormcaller in pvp (yes I've been pvping as stormcaller the past few weeks...I want it to work so bad!), but I usually just give up and switch to my cleric to go cabalist. WAAAAY better.
    Last edited by Xenoheart; 04-15-2013 at 12:20 PM.
    Xenohart
    http://www.fractureguild.enjin.com/ | twitch.tv/xenohartgaming
    4/4 TDQ | 4/4 FT | 5/5 EE | 4/4 GA | 3/3 IG | 4/5 PB | 2/4 BOB 4/4 minis
    I just make it look easy sometimes. ~Daglar

Quote Originally Posted by Timezown View Post
    Im trying to get a single target rotation to work (its a about 75-80% of what the top DPS specs are) im just waiting for SC changes to see if it improves my spec at all
    Would you post your build and rotation your using?
    SOUL FORGED 4/4 TotDQ - 4/4 FT - 4/5 EE www.soul-forged.com
    Blytz - Rogue
    Vyo - Mage
    Dyzmal - Cleric

Quote Originally Posted by Blytzz View Post
    Would you post your build and rotation your using?
    Sure. Its changed a lot since its conception but the rotation is more-or-less the same.

Here is the talents http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#i...2AG0w/h9kw5loA
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Macros:

Opener
    suppressmacrofailures
    petattack
    cast thunderbolt

channel
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast raging storm
    cast electrocute

Buff
    suppressmacrofailures
    stopcasting
    cast Ice Shear

dmg
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Icy Carapace
    cast Lightning Strike

---------------------------------------------------------

Rotation

1) use opener macro
    2) use channel macro (opener + channel will get you to 5 stacks of electrified)
    3) use buff macro (big dmg bonus from ice shear)
    4) cast icicle (should be instant proc, keep in mind you can only cast it here the first time u do the rotation)
    5) use dmg macro until lightning strike
    6) cast icicle
    7) repeat steps 2-6 for the rest of the fight (excluding 4)

This spec revolves around getting 5 stacks of electrified and then using ice shear for huge dmg bonuses

Heres a video I made a while ago doing the rotation a few times on a dummy
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5OFkdOqjvU
    ps: sorry about the backpack thing... idk why I kept opening and closing it lol.

-------------------------------------------------
    Buffs:

Greater Air Elemental
    Storm Armor
    Synergize

----------------------------------------------

CDs:

Static Discharge (usually pop this right before the pull)
    Intensify Elements (usually cast this when im about to start using the dmg macro, you can usually get 2 lightning strikes in before it wears off
    Static Flux (use this whenever you have a lot of charge, I like to time it with intensify elements whenever I can)

------------------------------------------------

Evolution of the spec.

I've tried many specs (37sc being core in all of them).

Started with a 37sc/37ele/2dom spec where I used stormbolt and thunderblast in the "dmg" macro.

This spec eventually got replaced with 37sc/34ele/5harb. I left out thunderblast completely, DPS improved a bit.

Now im using the current 37sc/31ele/8pyro. Ive realized that crit is massively important especially when using a long cast such as lightning strike, the 'Burning Fury' talent helps with that a lot. This spec completely got rid of stormbolt (sadly D: )

--------------------------------------------------

These are some possible suggestions i'd like to see going forward with Stormcaller

I suggested this in another thread a while ago
    I have an idea for stormcaller. Right now they have the talent 'Storm Shard' which says

"Gives your damaging Air abilities a 33/66/100% chance to make your next Icicle, within 10 seconds, instant, reduce its mana cost by 40% and increases the damage bonus of that Icicle by 150%. This cannot occur more than once every 10 seconds."

I think it should be changed to something like

"Gives your damaging Air abilities a 33/66/100% chance to make your next water ability, within 10 seconds, instant, and reduce its mana cost by 40% and increases the damage bonus of that air ability by 150%. This cannot occur more than once every 10 seconds. Also gives your damaging Water abilities a 33/66/100% chance to make your next Air ability, within 10 seconds, instant, and reduce its mana cost by 40% and increases the damage bonus of that air ability by 150%. This cannot occur more than once every 10 seconds."

It would probably increase your DPS a bit and have your air abilities feed off of your water abilities, vice versa

Maybe you would have to remove the damage bonus when it procs if it turns out to be too strong? idk
    I'd love to have this- it would allow you to keep the instant icicle procs, but it would also allow you to have instant procs for Lightning Strike as well. This would be an amazing change for this spec.

Maybe they could make ice shear give a crit bonus (like 5% for every stack of electrified) to air/water abilities when applied to target? It would help stormcallers across the board, whether running a normal spec or this spec here.

I'd also like to see the Air Elemental get its damage buffed a bit. Its only doing a pathetic 1-1.2k dps single target for me.. that's pretty sad. Bringing it up to around ~3k would be nice. Most importantly, it would buff this spec xD

Maybe even make the "raging storm" ability deal more damage. Currently, it does the exact same thing as "electrocute" but it lacks a knockback. I think some extra damage would compensate for this, and of course, it would help my spec as well.

Keep in mind these are just ideas, not specifically intended to all go thru at the same time
    Last edited by Timezown; 04-15-2013 at 01:21 PM.

Plane Walker

I use a slightly different spec and rotation from Lokken. My spec is 8 ele 7 harb for Lightning Strike and 10%sp. (This is a sacrifice on AE, but I like having it.)

His rotation focuses on building electrify and using lightning field as much as you can, where mine focuses on using all of your hard hitters on CD and maximizing use of electrify/hypothermia. I haven't worked out optimal Static Flux toggling yet, but this is my AE rotation.

Static Nova
    --- --- ---
    Arctic Blast
    Hailstorm
    Storm Surge
    Eye of the Storm
    Lightning Storm
    Lightning Field
    Lightning Arc
    Ice Shear
    Hailstorm
    Storm Surge
    Lightning Field
    Forked Lightning x 5

For single target, I use this:

Start with a full charge bar. As long as there is no electrify on the mob you can use Lightning Field to do this without pulling aggro.

Macro:
    #show raging storm
    cast raging storm
    cast electrocute

Electric Charge
    --- --- ---
    Ice Shear
    Hailstorm or Arctic Blast or Cloudburst (Depending on what is up.)
    Static Flux <on>
    Icicle
    Lightning Strike
    Raging Storm Macro (Static Flux <off> during channel.)
    Thunderbolt
    Last edited by Scuba Steve; 04-18-2013 at 10:56 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanlo View Post
    I mean, you didn't see Gandalf bunnyhopping through Mordor blasting away with instant cast spells.

Plane Walker

Maybe they could make ice shear give a crit bonus (like 5% for every stack of electrified) to air/water abilities when applied to target? It would help stormcallers across the board, whether running a normal spec or this spec here.
    Sweet mother of Pete, 25% passive crit chance?! o.o

In your dreams buddy!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanlo View Post
    I mean, you didn't see Gandalf bunnyhopping through Mordor blasting away with instant cast spells.

Quote Originally Posted by m1nus View Post
    I've never had a dedicated AoE build for my mage. I just AoE on whatever ST spec I'm using whether it be Warlock or Ele/Necro. However, there was a mage on Golem Foundry doing 22K+ AoE damage and obviously I was impressed. I checked the mage guide section and the only one there on the first page is outdated.

Can anyone please share an updated SC build as well as a quick run of their rotation? Thank you.
    22k+? That's it? Yeah, definitely a SC then. You should try 61 dom. Just make sure your tank knows you will be pulling agro and to have an AoE taunt handy. Oh... and you'd better make sure you kill all those adds fast because the longer you take the more likely you wind up with some of them bashing your face in.
    Avatar by Rotaken on deviantART.

+ Reply to Thread