+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Player wants advice please

Soulwalker

Default New Player wants advice please

I am an older player, well ancient actually , and I need advice for leveling a mage. I plan to solo and do random dungeon runs, so staying alive soloing and aoe for dungeons are key. I also need something not too complicated for an old phart like me.

The builds I read the most about are the necro/ele build and the necro/lock builds. A pyro build looks a little complex for me, but maybe I am wrong.

I would appreciate it if someone would post which build they recommend and, more importantly, what to put points in first, second, etc. Like say 10 -20, 20-30, etc.

Thank you VERY much for your help in advance.
    Last edited by Uncle_Woody; 04-11-2013 at 06:10 AM.

Ascendant

i would recomend you just use one of the preselected builds offered ingame and become familiar with the game mechanics and then specialize with lvl50.

Soulwalker

Oh, sorry, I forgot to mention that I did play the game a while at release and am returning. I am familiar with the game mechanics. I will also have the SL exp this weekend. Thanks

While I haven't used the Necro/Ele (necrolist) spec myself, I've heard that it's kind of a decent jack-of-most-trades-but-master-of-none spec. In other words, you can probably get away with using it for soloing, dungeons, open world content, etc but it's not going to be the best spec possible.

Harbinger is one of the simpler mage specs but it does require melee which means quick reflexes. If you feel up to it I'd say it's one of the easier specs to learn and get decent with and it has potential to be very good if played well. You can also throw 8-16 points into Chloro as an off-soul for stupendous soloing capability.

There've been a lot of changes to Pyro recently so I can't really make any recommendations here but they have simplified it considerably since 2.1 at least and supposedly it's a decent ranged nuke type of spec. You should also be able to throw 8 points of chloro into this and get decent survivability but I haven't tried it myself.
    Avatar by Rotaken on deviantART.

Soulwalker

@Antigonos I think I will give the ele/pyro premade a try.

@Frailaq I will definitely give Harb a shot when I get SL this w/e.

Thank you for your help

+ Reply to Thread