+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mage support builds

Soulwalker

Default Mage support builds

I'm currently a level 52 mage and am looking for some decent support builds so I can support in dungeons when necessary. I've looked around a bit and found some suggestions (chlorobinger being one of the main ones) but I can't seem to find all that much info. I'm not looking for raid specs at the moment as I won't be raiding in the near future, just doing dungeons.

Anyone know of any good builds? All help is muchly appreciated!

Chloro/harb will be your best bet, and there's a guide for it on forum. Tbh tho, I know some ppl can be aholes about "support" in 5 mans. So that spec also does respectable dps as well. So it's a win/win situation.
    Think guide is labeled leveling solo to 60 (or something like that)
    Formerly Manwitch.... 4/4 FT 5/5 EE 3/4 GA

Archon and dominator are the mage support souls.

Chloro and harbinger are not support souls therefore don't fill a support role

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by TheLowerLight View Post
    Archon and dominator are the mage support souls.

Chloro and harbinger are not support souls therefore don't fill a support role
    when people talk about support roles for dungeons they almost always want support healing which for mages means chloro hybrids, specifically chloroharb as it is really the only decent chloro hybrid we have now.

Telaran

There's really two definitions of Support in the game.

1) Buffing / Debuffing / Crowd Control -- This is the purview of Archon, Bard, Warlord, and to a lesser degree Tactician and Dominator

2) Secondary healing -- Bard, Tactician, and Hybrid Chloro builds or Cleric builds

In principle a 5 man group should be : Tank, Healer, Support, DPS, DPS in accordance with Support being a viable 4th role in Rift. In actuality people mostly want : Tank, Healer, Secondary Healer, DPS, DPS.

This becomes a serious issue for Mages and Warriors in 5 man groups because the builds that meet the requirements of 1) do not match the expectation of 2)

**It also becomes an issue for raids because people who are used to 2) are typically really bad at doing 1)

Shadowlander

The problem with going chloroharb as a form of support in a 5man is that you'll be a super squishy melee, and you generally only need support if you have a bad healer or bad tank. If its bad tank, you might be getting stomped on a lot. If its a bad chloro, you'll have a similar problem because you won't be getting healed by their veils and they may not know that/heal you directly. If its a cleric healer wanting support this is a much more viable support build. That said, chloroharb has some pretty huge survivability with a few tweaks, but it would be sacrificing some deepz/group heals to run that.

Tl;dr. Chloroharb is awesome of WFs. It can be great in raids. In 5mans, if asked to go support, I just go full chloro, and unless the tanks absolutely awful, just ask the original healer to go dps (except for maybe one or two fights in experts which are troublesome if people don't do it right).

I actually wonder if chloroharb could full heal some fights though, with a more geared group... that would really lower clear times.

You'll need to have an Archon build in order to queue as Support. But, as stated above, no one will want an Archon in a 5-man. When I queue as Support I ask the healer if she needs healing support. If not, I go pure DPS. If she does, I usually end up going full Chloro and making it a really boring run for me. I haven't tried a Chloro hybrid, but the solo build might be a nice compromise for healing help and DPS.
    Processor: Intel i5 2500K @ 3.3Ghz
    Memory: Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB DDR3
    Graphics: EVGA Geforce GTX 560Ti 1GB
    OS Drive: SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series 256GB SATA III SSD (Win 7 Pro 64-bit)
    Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V LX

Quote Originally Posted by Pope Zaphod View Post
    But, as stated above, no one will want an Archon in a 5-man.
    Dunno why not. Exodus, third boss with the bookshelves... Archon can spam cleanse, do 8k+ dps, and provide Spark Shower 15% run speed buff at crucial times.

Ok, ok... so that's the only fight where an Archon as support really shines

I don't carry any ranged dps specs other than Domi but few pugs seem to mind me going Archon as support when I can still push decent dps numbers while increasing everyone else's dps and survivability. Yes, a bad Archon would certainly be detrimental compared to a good necrolist dps or, in certain situations, to a second full chloro but I think my point still stands. It's all situational. Sometimes you'll want an Archon, other times you'll want another Chloro, and other times you'll want that support person to go full dps.
    Avatar by Rotaken on deviantART.

http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#FhkQB2/Gl8iGFiGAEg/

Archon/heal support. You have to get your buffs and debuffs up. If you need more heal spam Vile Spores and if you want more dps use archon skills. Maybe it affords a little bit more skill than one of the 61pt builds.
    Before lv 60 chloro/harb is pretty good for support.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulshield View Post
    http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#FhkQB2/Gl8iGFiGAEg/

Archon/heal support. You have to get your buffs and debuffs up. If you need more heal spam Vile Spores and if you want more dps use archon skills. Maybe it affords a little bit more skill than one of the 61pt builds.
    Before lv 60 chloro/harb is pretty good for support.
    http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#FhkUB3g/Gl8iGFiGAEg/ sry linked wrong build you only need 2 points in Boon of Life you have less than 0,01 sec cast time on Nature`s Touch if Surging Flare(3% more cast time reduce let it be an instant) is active you can cast it while moving.

+ Reply to Thread