+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Vile Spores vs Void Life

Default Vile Spores vs Void Life

As topic might suggest, I'm a little worried about my grasp on the relationship between Void Life and Vile Spores.

Recently I put myself (with full health) up against a training, threw on a Veil and decided to measure my overheal on myself if I chose to just spam one ability to the exclusion of the other.

To my surprise, the Vile Spores spam came out on top, as the spamable that overhealed me the most.

Does this little test in fact, conclude that against a single enemy, a Vile Spores spam is (by quite a bit, actually) more HPS-friendly than Void Life?

I might have missed a memo, but I always thought Void Life was the spamable of the day?

Am I wrong?

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by ViRALiC View Post
    As topic might suggest, I'm a little worried about my grasp on the relationship between Void Life and Vile Spores.

Recently I put myself (with full health) up against a training, threw on a Veil and decided to measure my overheal on myself if I chose to just spam one ability to the exclusion of the other.

To my surprise, the Vile Spores spam came out on top, as the spamable that overhealed me the most.

Does this little test in fact, conclude that against a single enemy, a Vile Spores spam is (by quite a bit, actually) more HPS-friendly than Void Life?

I might have missed a memo, but I always thought Void Life was the spamable of the day?

Am I wrong?
    Vile spores is better hps than void life for LGV.

Most of the healing is measured in terms of "instant" heal procs. For example, void life is one instant-heal proc per second, for three seconds.

Vile spores is two instant-heal measures + one instant heal measure for the dot, resulting in the same amount of healing as void life, but in a much shorter timeframe. Thus, the hps of vile spores is much higher.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahov View Post
    Vile spores is better hps than void life for LGV.

Most of the healing is measured in terms of "instant" heal procs. For example, void life is one instant-heal proc per second, for three seconds.

Vile spores is two instant-heal measures + one instant heal measure for the dot, resulting in the same amount of healing as void life, but in a much shorter timeframe. Thus, the hps of vile spores is much higher.
    Interesting. I'm still a little new to the concept of mage healing (great guide btw, I'll be sure to read that!), so I was wondering if the sheer HPS advantage would persist under LBV, with Synthesis applied?

I sadly can't test this myself at the moment, as I would require someone to group with me for the duration, and none are online.

If yes, should the Vile Spores be the go-to heal of 5-mans, or should I stick to my trusty Void Life?

Ascendant

Interesting. I'm still a little new to the concept of mage healing (great guide btw, I'll be sure to read that!), so I was wondering if the sheer HPS advantage would persist under LBV, with Synthesis applied?

I sadly can't test this myself at the moment, as I would require someone to group with me for the duration, and none are online.

If yes, should the Vile Spores be the go-to heal of 5-mans, or should I stick to my trusty Void Life?
    Void Life gains a large bonus from synthesis, as does ruin, corrosive spores, and nature's touch.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahov View Post
    Void Life gains a large bonus from synthesis, as does ruin, corrosive spores, and nature's touch.
    Aaah, now I'm with you. See, I didn't know that. Thanks for clearing that up!

Void Life does additional healing to your Synthesis target so it provides noticeably better HPS on the Synthesis target when in LBV. But Vile Spores will provide higher HPS to non-Synthesis targets when using LBV.

EDIT: Should have refreshed page before I replied.
    Last edited by Primalthirst; 04-01-2013 at 10:57 PM.
    Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by Primalthirst View Post
    Void Life does additional healing to your Synthesis target so it provides noticeably better HPS on the Synthesis target when in LBV. But Vile Spores will provide higher HPS to non-Synthesis targets when using LBV.

EDIT: Should have refreshed page before I replied.
    Still appreciate the further clarification, friend!

Prophet of Telara

In short:

1) Tank Healing: Use Lifebound Veil, Synthesis on your Tank, Void Life as main spell (use others as required for burst/spike healing)

2) Raid Healing: Use Lifegiving Veil, Vile Spores as main spells (use others as required for burst/spike healing)

Note: Both Vile Spores and Void Life give you Boon of Life a stacking buff. Each stack reduces the cast time of your next Nature's Touch and at 5 stacks NT becomes instant. This is useful both for AOE healing as an instant and a big tank heal (so useful with both veils).

The only time I ever use Void Life when raid healing is to reach 5 stacks quickly (as each tick of Void Life adds a stack so its quicker to reach 5 stacks using 1.6666 Void Life channels compared to 5 Vile Spore casts).
    World First Maelforge, Salvarola and Ultane.
    Officially quit!
    Props to my old guilds: eXile, Special Olympics, Exploit, Last Dawn

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by AlexTrickle View Post

The only time I ever use Void Life when raid healing is to reach 5 stacks quickly (as each tick of Void Life adds a stack so its quicker to reach 5 stacks using 1.6666 Void Life channels compared to 5 Vile Spore casts).
    For a little further clarification, this is another pre-healing readiness tactic. Chloro does not have many reactive cooldowns for raid healing (flourish is about it) so in order to get the most from it you need to know when the damage is incoming ahead of time and be ready for it. Things you can do include refreshing spores early so it will be up for the duration of the spike, casting withering vines (or refreshing it early) and building 5 stacks so you have an instant NT ready for the spike. Making sure you have full charge for entropic is also a good bet

The key to awesome raid healing on a chloro (and to a slightly lesser extent tank healing) is to be aware of when the damage comes and getting everything in place to deal with it before hand.

At least that's what i do :P

Champion

It should also be noted that Vile Spores has a travel time to the target while Void Life does not. The result is that Void Life provides an instant heal, while Vile Spores has its cast time and then the travel time to the target before it procs your veil.

As others have given reasoning for:

Vile Spores is generally the best spammable for AoE healing (though Void Life still has applications, example, to quickly top off the raid or when you don't have enough time to start a refresh 2 second cast time Vile Spores)

Void Life is generally the best spammable for ST healing (though Vile Spores is still used occasionally, for example, for higher DPS while the tank isn't taking big damage)
    Valery@Zaviel - Mage | Valzz - Cleric | Soulsky - Rogue | Introvert - Warrior
    Everything you need to know for Mage: www.valvalval.net

Quote Originally Posted by Blannor View Post
    The key to awesome raid healing on a chloro (and to a slightly lesser extent tank healing) is to be aware of when the damage comes and getting everything in place to deal with it before hand.
    This is the best advice to any healing class I would say. If you dont know your opponent, you dont know how to react to their moves best with your own, and that is critical to know as a healer even more so than DPS.
    Xenohart
    http://www.fractureguild.enjin.com/ | twitch.tv/xenohartgaming
    4/4 TDQ | 4/4 FT | 5/5 EE | 4/4 GA | 3/3 IG | 4/5 PB | 2/4 BOB 4/4 minis
    I just make it look easy sometimes. ~Daglar

Rift Disciple

Aaah, now I'm with you. See, I didn't know that. Thanks for clearing that up!
    It's all right there on the tool tips, butt nakkid, waiting to be seen.

Quote Originally Posted by smellwhat View Post
    It should also be noted that Vile Spores has a travel time to the target while Void Life does not. The result is that Void Life provides an instant heal, while Vile Spores has its cast time and then the travel time to the target before it procs your veil.
    That also means that it can be precast in anticipation of big damage and trigger a heal in the same GCD that you fire off something like an instant NT, no?

Plane Walker

I will add about the stacks for faster NT casts..
    If preparing for large dmg spiking, you're better off NOT having 5 stacks.
    Take this example.. 2s cast VS > NT > wait 1.5s for GCD > 2s cast VS

As you can see this is some really unsteady healing.. the VS+NT are going to hit pretty much together and probably way overheal, then you have no heals going out for 3.5s + traveltime.

It's much better to save 2-3 stacks so you aren't waiting for GCD, this keeps heals going out at a much steady pace.

Of course there will be exceptions, you might 'need' that burst of both VS and NT together for 1 big hit. Or you might have a big move coming, and so want an Insta NT ready.
    -------------------------
    [eXile] Allillos - Mage - Zaviel

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast