+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Necromancer tank uggg

Default Necromancer tank uggg

Full necro with some warlock

So....hit 53 started fighting 53 rhinos with calves they come 3 or 4 in a group. problem is tank can't hold aggro. And died quick as well.

I take it tank pet is worthless in this situation and time to try new mage spec where I self tank and self heal? Or...is there a way to get tank pet to hold multiple mob aggro?

Ascendant

I didn't have a problem with my tank pet when I leveled as necro but you have to manage him makes sure he hits all the mobs and they will stick to him, use soulpurge to keep his health up or put some points into chloro for heals

or just go with a harbinger / chloro spec and be godly

Telaran

If you like a pet spec for tanking try Ele/Chloro/Dom 37/32/7. Or just try 7 Dom for improved charged shield. With this buff I doubt your tanking pet would lose aggro even against a whole bunch of mobs mixed with Melee and Casters/Shooters. To survive I strongly recommend Quicken Elements from Ele-Tree, which is (especially with Chloro Synergy) the most efficient Heal in the whole game.

Quote Originally Posted by Adria View Post
    If you like a pet spec for tanking try Ele/Chloro/Dom 37/32/7. Or just try 7 Dom for improved charged shield. With this buff I doubt your tanking pet would lose aggro even against a whole bunch of mobs mixed with Melee and Casters/Shooters. To survive I strongly recommend Quicken Elements from Ele-Tree, which is (especially with Chloro Synergy) the most efficient Heal in the whole game.
    Using the charged shield to help keep the mobs aggroed on the pet is a good idea. I wish I had thought of that.

If the OP is having trouble keeping the pet alive, it might be worthwhile to put some points into both pet souls, stacking the endurance points. Of course, that reduces the dps by a lot.

Champion

I thought the new mage tanking pet was called harbringer...

Ascendant

Unless they finally fixed that, aggro from Mass Charged Shield is directed towards the caster. Feel free to test, but I don't think that will help maintain aggro.

The Necromancer tank is quite inferior to the Elemental pet, and both souls are inferior to Harbinger when it comes to soloing. Neither pet spec is able to AoE pull mobs in without issues, as the pet AoE tanking cooldowns are too long, and their health too small. If tank pets passively gathered aggro from the summoner, that would be a lot better, but Elementalist, in particular, is lacking in ways to keep itself safe outside of points in Chloromancer.
    Regardless of what happens, people will always be unhappy. Be thankful for what you have and always be constructive.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Poster View Post
    good or the best
    This quote offers insight into why there are so many perceived balance issues. To some, it doesn't matter how good something is; if it isn't the best, it isn't worth using.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by smellwhat View Post
    I thought the new mage tanking pet was called harbringer...
    Holding aggro against 5+ SL-Mobs? Jumping in and doing some damage for about three seconds before dying - ok, this could happen. But as long as Harbinger doesn't get a tanking stance I have sympathy for you, if you want a Tank and get a Harbinger.

Quote Originally Posted by Caydin View Post
    Unless they finally fixed that, aggro from Mass Charged Shield is directed towards the caster. Feel free to test, but I don't think that will help maintain aggro.
    Never ever worked this way and why should it do so? Dom is a Support Soul. aggro from the shield to be directed to the mage would be senseless.
    Last edited by Adria; 03-31-2013 at 08:05 PM.

Telaran

Can't edit so sry for the second post.

Its very easy to test: Let the tank-pet attack a group of mobs mixed with range and melee fighters without the shield. Due to healing aggro the range fighters will attack the mage nearly a second after the first heal. Then try it again with the shield buffed - the ranges will continue to attack your tank-pet and leave the mage unattacked.

Telaran

Pre-SL the shield was a single buff. What has changed with SL is, thit it's a raid-buff now, so the mage gets it too. And when you right click to disable it it disables from all members. So now it's more important to let be the pet the first attacker for all enemies, especially the ranged. If you get attacked, the shield will reflect damage too and build up aggro. Avoid this under any circumstances..

I personnaly use 44harb/32chloro spec for soloing and this is just amazing. You just cannot die. I'm able to pull both 14k dps and 2k hps on a pack of 6+ monsters aoeing. Yes I have the gear to pull these numbers and you wont do it while lvling but... It's a hard-to-die-with spec imo. If you die it's because : you're afk or you pulled more than 10mobs of your lvl.
    Last edited by Lanfeara; 03-31-2013 at 08:47 PM.
    Lanfeara@Brisesol

Ascendant

The Necromancer tank is quite inferior to the Elemental pet
    not really true anymore. since storm legion they are basically the same tank pet, different skin
    Last edited by Glamour; 03-31-2013 at 08:48 PM.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Lanfeara View Post
    Yes I have the gear to pull these numbers and you wont do it while lvling but...
    but OP is lvl 53 and still leveling ...
    Last edited by Adria; 03-31-2013 at 08:58 PM.

What Caydin said is correct and easy to test/prove. Agro generated by Mass Charged Shield dps goes to the mage who cast it, not to the person/pet being hit who is getting the dps credited to them.

Last time I used a pet class I didn't even worry about a tank pet... used the necro melee dps to run in and hit it a few times while I loaded the target with warlock dots and the mob would generally agro me before my pet died but with that much dps (and Wither) it would never get to me before it died. As for multiple mobs... with a pet class I just steered clear of groups (oh how I miss the days of the lolStormPyroChloro AoE soloing spec).
    Avatar by Rotaken on deviantART.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Adria View Post
    but OP is lvl 53 and still leveling ...
    I used (and still do) a 40 lock/12 pyro/20 chloro build for soloing (adjust pts for the current level). Between Warlock armor, life leech, radiate death, withering vines, LGV + self heals from chloro and mortality on CD I found it hard to die even at level 53. Perhaps 5 mobs might be stretching it but 3 was certainly obtainable. You have to find the point where your aoe is not killing them fast enough. My gear at that time was raid gear from level 50 but not ID gear. And I had started to replace pieces with the Adventurers gear and crafted (both easily obtainable). Don't forget your essences. There are many good Lycini and Torvan essences with great endurance upgrades compared to pre-SL that are not too hard to get either.

I chose this solo spec because I prefer the gtaoe Devouring Shadows playstyle compared to the pushing button repeatedly style of HarboChlor.

Anyway, my point earlier was that mage is pretty survivable without a pet. I realize this is a pet thread though so this solo spec may not make sense for someone that wants to play that way. If you are going to pet tank, the majority of your points should be in some combination of necro/ele to obtain the best pet (not something I'm completely familiar with however).

Put in Ele with your Necro http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#h9ag/fkGGyBl8Ekg/G6w

Ele works good with Necro.....as does Chloro too

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast