+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Leveling a mage, from level 1....

Xem
    Soulwalker

Default Leveling a mage, from level 1....

So I see a lot of discussion about leveling a mage from level 50 through level 60.

I do not see hardly any discussion on leveling a mage from level 1 and up.

I have heard a lot of opinions on this and it seems everyone has a different opinion.

Lots of people say harb/chloro but it looks to me like this does not get strong until 50+....

Please give a reason why you think x/x/x build works so I have an idea what your reasons are.

Thanks!!

Sam

Xem
    Soulwalker

Testing something....ignore this post.....
    Last edited by Xem; 03-30-2013 at 08:32 AM.

Xem
    Soulwalker

I am trying to get my signature to work, please ignore this...

Hey look, it works! (finally lol)
    Last edited by Xem; 03-30-2013 at 08:36 AM.

I remember leveling my mage from 1 to 50 as a necrolock which really kicked ***. The damage output was good, you get a tanking pet and plenty of selfhealing utility. Granted, this was before SL was introduced and a lot has changed since then..
    Last Dawn @ Zaviel
    Shifthappens - 50 Cleric || Omfgkittens - 60 Mage

Plane Walker

If you have a level 60 friend, your spec doesn't really matter.

Honestly the fastest way to get to 50 is to have your 60 buddy spam you through dungeons. Just keep on resetting the dungeon for your level range over and over till you are in the level range for the next dungeon and do it all over again. The only down side is that you have to actually run out to the dungeons instead of using group finder.

I got a friend to 50 with less than a day and a half of playtime on his toon this way.

If not, chloroharb is still the way to go. Get a minimum of 8 points into chloro for instant bloom, then spend into harb.
    Last edited by Scuba Steve; 03-30-2013 at 11:02 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanlo View Post
    I mean, you didn't see Gandalf bunnyhopping through Mordor blasting away with instant cast spells.

Xem
    Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Scuba Steve View Post
    If you have a level 60 friend, your spec doesn't really matter.

Honestly the fastest way to get to 50 is to have your 60 buddy spam you through dungeons. Just keep on resetting the dungeon for your level range over and over till you are in the level range for the next dungeon and do it all over again. The only down side is that you have to actually run out to the dungeons instead of using group finder.

I got a friend to 50 with less than a day and a half of playtime on his toon this way.

If not, chloroharb is still the way to go. Get a minimum of 8 points into chloro for instant bloom, then spend into harb.
    I am going to level all the way as chloroharb, can you give me more details on what points to put where and what you mean by "instant bloom" please.

Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by Xem View Post
    I am going to level all the way as chloroharb, can you give me more details on what points to put where and what you mean by "instant bloom" please.

Thanks!!
    Next to bloom there's a 2 point skill that reduces the cast time to 0. Only advice I have beyond that is keep your spores up so your attacks heal better.

I myself haven't tried chlorobinger in the way people are describing, but I found necrolock to be great for soloing; makes it easy to take on a few enemies at once (or at least test how many enemies you can handle), especially when you're high enough to get 'radiate death' and 'mortality' it gets real easy.

been so long i cant remember but i would be inclined to agree with necro for starters as the pet will keep the heat off you and when you get around 20 look into chloroharb or maybe ele for a while
    leveling a mage is harsh if you have to spend face time with the enemy, cloth is soft
    who took my names!

...can you give me more details on what points to put where and what you mean by "instant bloom" please.
    Whatever you want for the first 5 points. Personally, I'd go Natural Awareness for a harb/chloro.
    The next 3 points should be Bloom and Healing Slipstream.
    That gets you an instant cast Bloom.

Plane Walker

Thanks!!
    Sure, I'll make a build every 10 levels for you.

Level 10
    Pull things with Withering Vine and use Vile Spores when your eldritch armor procs. Keep Lifegiving Veil up and use Entropic Veil as a charge dump.

Level 20
    From now on use Charged Blade as your charge consumer. Your Vorpal Slash should be instant now, and you can use Piercing Beam to buff your slash attacks. Horray!

Level 30
    Now you have a stun to use and you can use your charge in combat. Your slash attacks have a 1s gcd now. You also have Lucent Slash to AE down larger pulls.

Level 40
    Really nice survivability upgrades. You have conditioned response, and a chance to heal 5% hp from incoming damage. Vile Spores damage is now doubled through the dot component.

Level 50
    Put Nature's Touch above Vile Spores in your Eldritch proc macro. Put Ruin at the top of your slash macro.

Level 60
    Rending Slash replaces Storm Slash. Congratulations, you are now in a God-like solo build. Pull to your heart's content, and know that if you die, you probably did something wrong.
    Last edited by Scuba Steve; 03-30-2013 at 02:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanlo View Post
    I mean, you didn't see Gandalf bunnyhopping through Mordor blasting away with instant cast spells.

Sure, I'll make a build for every 10 levels for you.
    I'm level 54... I might take you up on this and see how it plays out.

Champion

Also whilst levling, i would rather put 16 point in the chloro to get ruin as well for more survivability so you can pull even bigger groups. Once you reach level 60 you want the 61 Harbinger, so then you need to reset, but up to 60 i used 16 points in chloro and i more or less never died.

General of Telara

16chloro, rest harb , 0 archon

Indestructible force to reckon with, best dps in dungeon, enough self heal to quest without problem , tear people up in pvp.

Plane Walker

0 Dominator squirrel is really nice when there's just one mob between you and your quest clicky-objective.
    Mantissa@Greybriar 7/8 raid tiers cleared <Rekt>

Xem
    Soulwalker

Sure, I'll make a build every 10 levels for you.

Level 10
    Pull things with Withering Vine and use Vile Spores when your eldritch armor procs. Keep Lifegiving Veil up and use Entropic Veil as a charge dump.

Level 20
    From now on use Charged Blade as your charge consumer. Your Vorpal Slash should be instant now, and you can use Piercing Beam to buff your slash attacks. Horray!

Level 30
    Now you have a stun to use and you can use your charge in combat. Your slash attacks have a 1s gcd now. You also have Lucent Slash to AE down larger pulls.

Level 40
    Really nice survivability upgrades. You have conditioned response, and a chance to heal 5% hp from incoming damage. Vile Spores damage is now doubled through the dot component.

Level 50
    Put Nature's Touch above Vile Spores in your Eldritch proc macro. Put Ruin at the top of your slash macro.

Level 60
    Rending Slash replaces Storm Slash. Congratulations, you are now in a God-like solo build. Pull to your heart's content, and know that if you die, you probably did something wrong.
    Thanks a TON for this! I will run with it and make it work. I am good at a lot of things, but have always failed miserably when it comes to building characters in games such as this where so much detail has to go into making just the right choices.

See y'all at 60!

Sam

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast