+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Sindariel

Thread: 5% damage vs 10% spell power

Rob
    Shadowlander

Default 5% damage vs 10% spell power

what i'm wondering is which is better for damage? take 5 points in harbinger vs 5 points in archon (or stormcaller). 5 points in harbinger give you 10% spell power and 5 points in either of the other two will net you 5% more damage. which one yields better returns?
    true knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing. and in knowing that you know nothing, that makes you the smartest of all

I don't know offhand. It's discussed in threads in the mage forums fairly often.

Ultimately just spec into one, screenshot tooltips and spec into the other. see which is higher. I'm pretty sure it will be +10% sp.

Edit: this may not be accurate in raids, but you also didn't specify which you'll be using it for.
    Last edited by Valnak; 03-30-2013 at 06:29 AM.

I cant speak for mages.... but for clerics the SP trumps the damage in solo or open world play (for the most part), while the damage would come out ahead in a raid environment at your average current gear levels. This is due to how SP is calculated vrs how Damage is calculated when in a raid environment with raid buffs/consumables.

Thats purposely somewhat vague simply because gear levels vary significantly.

Rob
    Shadowlander

ahh, so basically it's an issue on solo vs raid scaling (and gear situation) in a sense. that makes sense, thank you
    Last edited by Rob; 03-30-2013 at 07:26 AM.
    true knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing. and in knowing that you know nothing, that makes you the smartest of all

Rift Chaser

10% SP > 5% dmg by far.
    Same as with Rogues where 10%AP + 10% weapon dmg is > 5% dmg.

This is quoted from a pre-SL thread, but the basics are still correct:

+10% talent is not +10%, its additive with all your other bonuses.

Taking a healer as an example, you have 61pts spent in healing souls and 5pts left to spend on a choice between either +10% healing or +10% SP.

You are already packing +61% healing from gifts and some more from other talents, so a rough number say your at +90% to healing already.

Your SP sets the base value that the +% healing factors from, so lets just pretent you have 2000 SP and your heal is worth that value as a base number. The actual value of the heal will then be 2000+90% = 3800.

Adding 10% healing will net you another 200, (10% of base) making the heal be worth 4000. Whilst 10% SP will make your SP=2200, so the heal is then 2200+90% = 4180.
    Sindariel - Mage - Brutmutter EU

Rob
    Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Sindariel View Post
    10% SP > 5% dmg by far.
    Same as with Rogues where 10%AP + 10% weapon dmg is > 5% dmg.

This is quoted from a pre-SL thread, but the basics are still correct:

that's what i was looking for, thank you

+ Reply to Thread