+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Pyro viable now?

Ascendant

Default Pyro viable now?

How does it compare to the other dps specs? I'm thinking it could be pretty good for fights that require a lot of target switches.

Soulwalker

Short answer : no.

Lacks mobility. Target switching is not that spectacular. It parses lower than 61 Lock still.

Telaran

Thanks to new skills target switching isn't that difficult as you will have charges applied to multiple mobs already (be careful currently other pyros are overwriting each other) while the parse may be slightly lower there is great burst damage, easy rotation and fun if you're an old pyro lover from the 51 pyro days.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by fbrentson View Post
    Short answer : no.

Lacks mobility. Target switching is not that spectacular. It parses lower than 61 Lock still.
    Let me expland opon my own post a bit...

It's been argued endlessly when melee classes parsed considerably higher than ranged counterparts, that the difference was in compensation for the added complexity of melee. What I would expect, then, is a pivot cannon pyro spec to parse the arse off a more mobile spec like warlock or elementalist. Alas, it does not.

It stands to reason that there will always be a "best in slot" spec, if you will. The one spec that makes all others irrelevant. What might bring other specs into the fold is not endlessly tweaking each permutation of souls so that they all ultimately parse the same. What brings other specs in their situational utility. In the case of pyromancer, if the situation _ever_ calls for a mage to stand in one place the entire fight and spam a rotation, then this is still NOT your build to play, cause other builds STILL parse higher in the same situation.

Quote Originally Posted by fbrentson View Post
    Let me expland opon my own post a bit...

It's been argued endlessly when melee classes parsed considerably higher than ranged counterparts, that the difference was in compensation for the added complexity of melee. What I would expect, then, is a pivot cannon pyro spec to parse the arse off a more mobile spec like warlock or elementalist. Alas, it does not.

It stands to reason that there will always be a "best in slot" spec, if you will. The one spec that makes all others irrelevant. What might bring other specs into the fold is not endlessly tweaking each permutation of souls so that they all ultimately parse the same. What brings other specs in their situational utility. In the case of pyromancer, if the situation _ever_ calls for a mage to stand in one place the entire fight and spam a rotation, then this is still NOT your build to play, cause other builds STILL parse higher in the same situation.
    I agree with this. On stand still fights, pyro should parse higher than warlock. On highly mobile fights, warlock should parse higher.

Currently warlock parses higher on both.

I'm fine with being punished for movng as pyro, and having to behave as a mage turret going pew pew. The handicaps to mobility were originally there to match our turret emphasis, like when we had ground of strength. And that actually was what we were, we out dpsed all classes but if we moved we were screwed. Now we are screwed in DPS even if we dont move.
    Xenohart
    http://www.fractureguild.enjin.com/ | twitch.tv/xenohartgaming
    4/4 TDQ | 4/4 FT | 5/5 EE | 4/4 GA | 3/3 IG | 4/5 PB | 2/4 BOB 4/4 minis
    I just make it look easy sometimes. ~Daglar

I'm fine with being punished for movng as pyro, and having to behave as a mage turret going pew pew. The handicaps to mobility were originally there to match our turret emphasis, like when we had ground of strength. And that actually was what we were, we out dpsed all classes but if we moved we were screwed. Now we are screwed in DPS even if we dont move.
    You win quote of the day!

Telaran

In a stand still fight or low movement fights pyro wins now. Mobile fights it goes to lock. One specific roation I found and am still tweaking that parses 700 to 1000 dps higher then 61 lock on dummies.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Kryzen View Post
    In a stand still fight or low movement fights pyro wins now. Mobile fights it goes to lock. One specific roation I found and am still tweaking that parses 700 to 1000 dps higher then 61 lock on dummies.
    I'd be interested in knowing your rotation. That'd be very useful for certain bosses in 5 man situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Kryzen View Post
    hahaha on live? Tell me the tale of your secret Pyro rotation as I'd love to know how you plan on beating a 23k Warlock Goloch parse, or 23k 2-target dot Twins parse.

http://www.twitch.tv/Screamoaktown - Live streaming 5v5's
    Skreamo@Greybriar
    <Wasted Talent>

Quote Originally Posted by Pricia View Post
    How does it compare to the other dps specs? I'm thinking it could be pretty good for fights that require a lot of target switches.
    Nope, not viable and thank god, Trion killed all the "flamers".....

Plane Walker

I would like to learn what other people are doing for pyro now too - I never really learned 61 pyro back in the flame sigil days anyway.

My rough rotation (from full charge) is: get combust, flame bolt, countdown going -> IC fusillade -> IC flame volley -> build charge -> fulminate -> extinguish and build charge -> IC withering flames -> heatwave & fireballs -> repeat -> cast stuff as I can until heatwave comes up again.

of course everything could change on any given wednesday! but I'm enjoying the new pyro already and haven't seen any new guides yet.
    Mantissa@Greybriar 7/8 raid tiers cleared <Rekt>

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by drabk View Post
    I would like to learn what other people are doing for pyro now too - I never really learned 61 pyro back in the flame sigil days anyway.

My rough rotation (from full charge) is: get combust, flame bolt, countdown going -> IC fusillade -> IC flame volley -> build charge -> fulminate -> extinguish and build charge -> IC withering flames -> heatwave & fireballs -> repeat -> cast stuff as I can until heatwave comes up again.

of course everything could change on any given wednesday! but I'm enjoying the new pyro already and haven't seen any new guides yet.
    I find it hard to get Fulminate in the rotation so I just skip it. Fulminate could be used if I don't have any other cooldown spell up but even then I think it may be better to save the charge for Cinder Burst procs and have some charge ready when other spells come of cooldown.

Depends on the spec I guess, if you for some reason have warlock +25% (?) charge gain then you could probably fit Fulminate in the rotation.

There's no rotation, just blow all your cooldowns before heatwave, reset them, heatwave, use all cooldowns again then try to manage Aegis fireballs with instants in between so you get more.

http://www.twitch.tv/Screamoaktown - Live streaming 5v5's
    Skreamo@Greybriar
    <Wasted Talent>

Ascendant

you can leave out withering flames, the damage it does over the 5 second channel is not enough to make it worthwhile, especially considering the amount of charge it uses that could be used for the internalize charge buff

Flame bolt before prime

Wannabe Mage Guide Writer
    6/6 Dragons
    A website for all your Rift needs
    www.riftscene.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast